So if you had a blank canvas

TeamFaust

...purchasing parts as good (or better) is cheaper than I can get the material alone for.

I go through this regularly when looking to add components... want to add sliders, "For what they are charging I can build them for less and they'll be just what I want"...wait, how much is DOM tubing, how much time will it take me,... crud :crazyeyes: ... call the parts shop :doh:

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the satisfaction of fabricating/building but that is a different reasoning that comes into play.

Last edited:

t8er

I bought a rubicon and would start there again. I put on a 3.5" lift and 35's right away and had a pretty capable rig out the the box. 4.10's with a 4.1 t case and a 6 speed gave me some great gearing to start with. Plus to run 37's I did a sleeve and gusset and feel better about running them. Even though I'll more than likely upgrade to a PR44 front I can still sell my rubi axle for $2k. Plus I love watching friends fumble with disconnects in the winter time while I press a button. And if it fails then yup EVO no limits disconnect.

ShinDiggity

I bought my sport with the expectation of building it up. Then life happened, we had a baby, contemplated selling the jeep for a bigger, more comfortable suv. If I could do it over again, I would get the rubi because it comes with so much out the door. Stuff I can't afford to do on my sport for another few years.

RockyJk

I bought my sport with the expectation of building it up. Then life happened, we had a baby, contemplated selling the jeep for a bigger, more comfortable suv. If I could do it over again, I would get the rubi because it comes with so much out the door. Stuff I can't afford to do on my sport for another few years.

Let me get them 35's before you do lol

IceColdJK

Money talks

The bottom line is, exactly that, the bottom line. If you have the money get your rig set up the way you want from the jump. Everyone knows that life or Murphy will step in when you want to upgrade.

coopjeep

Just had the same dilemma. Had a 75000 mile 2011 sport, wanted to update, engine, suspension, axles and everything. After evaluating cost and the need for some extreme off road as well as a daily driver, sold it (great resale value) and went with 2015 Rubi. 2 days in put 3.5 long arm on, waiting for 37" tire delivery and armor is being powder coated now.

My feeling was, I love the hobby of it all, while I could have gone with sport, changed everything and made a super build then hit the trail. I decided the Rubi would be a great start, add lift, bumpers armor and hit the trails. As things fail or have trouble, modify, hobby for life and still fun.

Tera 60

I started with the sport. Sold it after couple years of driving it. Now I in market for a rubicon after driving the sport and not being able to upgrade like I needed to out of the gate. I guess for me it is just the budget game. Know when I get rubicon I can upgrade at my own pace and still fill good about what I am running not thinking is this the trail that takes me out. So I will always go rubicon because it works with my budget. Pay more up front then I set pace that u need. But I would love to just get a jeep frame and body and just start my build from their that would be awesome.

mackey

I went with a Sport knowing I was going to do a complete build with EVO. I thought it would save some money. I got a JKU Sport OTD for 30k. A rubicon was about 37k. I am happy with my decision. If money was not an issue, I'd start with the Rubicon. The interior is nicer and the transfer case and swaybar disconnects work great. I ended up buying a used Rubicon swaybar. I also looked for a used transfer case but couldn't find one.

Smoked

Looks like I am going to go with a rubicon then build from there...

EVO-BUMPER-FRONT 1/4 Pounder Front JK Bumper

EVO_Fascia Rear Bumper Fascia by EVO MFG

EVO-TC Tire Carrier by EVO MFG. (with corner armor)

ATX BEADLOCK SLABS (either toyo or nitto 37's

EVO DoubleD PRO bolt on suspension.

EVO Boatside bombers

Propper gearing and driveshafts

This is what I am looking at so far... Its some time off from now... got to save some $$$ first... This is just the start as well...

I really do appreciate the advice and always open for suggestions.. This will be a 3rd vehicle so it will allow me to spend the time and the work myself without need of the vehicle..

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

EVO-BUMPER-FRONT1/4 Pounder Front JK Bumper

EVO_FasciaRear Bumper Fascia by EVO MFG

EVO-TCTire Carrier by EVO MFG. (with corner armor)

EVO Boatside bombers

This is what I am looking at so far... Its some time off from now... got to save some $$$ first... This is just the start as well...

I really do appreciate the advice and always open for suggestions.. This will be a 3rd vehicle so it will allow me to spend the time and the work myself without need of the vehicle..

Damn that's one hell of a parts list. I would like to point out that the bombers are body mounted and a hard enough hit will damage your body. Why did you choose them over the sliders?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

EVO-BUMPER-FRONT1/4 Pounder Front JK Bumper

EVO_FasciaRear Bumper Fascia by EVO MFG

EVO-TCTire Carrier by EVO MFG. (with corner armor)

EVO Boatside bombers

Sounds like a good start. 👍 Good luck with the progress.

Smoked

Damn that's one hell of a parts list. I would like to point out that the bombers are body mounted and a hard enough hit will damage your body. Why did you choose them over the sliders?

You know I didn't really give it much thought... I figured it would be "good protection" but you do have a very valid point... I like the look of the bombers over the sliders... However... I want protection, not aesthetics

Top Bottom