So who regeared and who didn't?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Cool! So the ring and pinion is about $250 and labor is about $750?

I'm not sure on OREs exact break down for their pricing but most regear packages are around $800 (from any online retailers). That typically includes front and rear ring and pinion and master rebuild kits for both axles.

Hot94Z28

I wish I knew of a trustworthy shop around KC area, this is a mod I would love to do but have been hesitant because it can be fucked up easy too.

OhNoTheJiggies

For the time being I haven't regeared. 37x13.50(actually measure up to just above 36") and 13' Rubi with 4.10s. Works great for on road but on rocks and hills, it really needs some lower gears.

RedRum

I had 35s on my 2012 6 speed and it was ok now I have same tires on my rubicon with 4.10s and it's a huge difference I actually noticed how much it was dawging when I put the stock tires back on my sport before I traded it in ! It was so much faster

DKjeep

On my 08' it had 3.73 stock. As soon as I put on 33" toyo M/T it was near unbearable on the highway and up a hill.... forget it. Its mainly the weight as a 33 is only a tiny bit taller than stock. I re-geared to 4.88 and all was well. When those wore out I went with 35's and the 4.88 was fine. I stepped up to 37's recently and re-geared again to 5.13 and I couldn't imagine life without it.

babykud

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to find a place around Chicago that will re-gear :( I have 35s with 3.73 and it's tolerable but I'm afraid to mud on it. I'm worry about the Dana 30 in the front.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I'm running 35s with my original 4.10s and I'm happy with it. I do have a 6 speed which makes a difference.

If I go bigger in the future I will re-gear and replace my Dana 44s. It's just cost preventative right now.

Last edited:

RuBee13

I have a 2013 Rubicon, auto trans, I purchased used with 37's With a BB lift. It worked for my first season. It came with 3.73 from the factory, so to me it was fine in the flat of Oklahoma. After shipping it to Alaska I put 37 inch KM2's with some other upgrades. By far the jump to 5.13 gears was the best thing I coulda done. I have not run the numbers yet. But I believe my gas mileage, if I keep it at 60 or below went, actually went up. Go figure. Some days I actually pass ppl up hills.

KingCopperhead

I had 3.73 gears in my JK when I got it. Ran 35's and it was just sluggish as all hell. It was drive able but was way sub optimal. Off road it struggled on rocks and I had to use my clutch and throttle a lot more than I liked to.

I eventually swapped to 4.88 gears and it was night and day. I can idle over smaller rocks easily and there's much less clutch modulation necessary on larger obstacles. On the street I have plenty of power to pass people when needed although 1st gear is a little low for street use. I'm usually into second gear before I leave an intersection. I also skip 3rd and 5th gear often. (3.6 with a manual trans)

Overall a very versatile ratio that performs well both on the road and off. Best mod I've done so far.

wcarlson40

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to find a place around Chicago that will re-gear :( I have 35s with 3.73 and it's tolerable but I'm afraid to mud on it. I'm worry about the Dana 30 in the front.

Yes, me too. I'm looking for a place that does this in their sleep, not someone that regeared once and can give me a deal.

Anyone else know of a reliable place around Chicago or central Illinois?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

I have wheeled my jeep with 35's and 3.73 gearing, and still do. Is it the best? No, but I plan on upgrading axles in the near future and did not want to waste money on re-gearing an axle that isn't going to hold up. Re-gearing your dana 30 isn't going to make it stronger

Top Bottom