Southeast Fall Bash at Windrock ORV October 4-6 2019

wjtstudios

Hooked
Oh we may may be in trouble as they get older. “Dad, are we going to wheel with Mr Bill again. I really like him...and Hawk. I really liked him a lot”

Yup, I definitely see that coming from both sides

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Nice shots, Sunday’s trail looked like a blast! Wish I would have stayed for it

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
It was a great time. I think it took us about 3 hours to do and wasn't too difficult. Definitely putting it down to repeat next time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

longarmwj

It was a great time. I think it took us about 3 hours to do and wasn't too difficult. Definitely putting it down to repeat next time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It wasn’t so easy that it was boring but it wasn’t too hard that you start second guessing yourself. It’s basically the perfect trail

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just got the official report from the shop:

Tech Notes For Customer: while disassembling the rear axle i found that both rear axle shafts are twisted at the splines, and the
crush sleeve is crushed further than normal. this means there was probably a pretty large shock load at one point and that twisted the
shafts and compressed the crush sleeve. and once that happened, it allowed the pinion to have movement, which wore out the pinion
bearings and seal. the axle was designed with a crush sleeve from the factory, but under higher stress they can fail.
currently will need new pinion bearings and seal. along with suggesting new rear shafts (chromoly if you plan to continue wheeling)
and upgrading to a crush sleeve eliminator which will eliminate the chance of a crush sleeve failure again.
the gearset looks to be ok, some light increased wear because of the miles driven with the pinion issue, but it seems like it will be fine.
will not know if there is any gear pattern noise until it is driven again with new bearings.
id also like to open up the locker to look inside and see if anything was damaged during the axle shafts twisting.

So new bearings and the crush sleeve eliminator ordered. Should the gears need to be replaced they are covered under the Yukon YES warranty and the shafts I'll order on my own and replace them. All in all, I got off pretty light except for the fingering I got at the stealership in Oak Ridge. But truth be told the amazing time I had with you all makes that a non issue. Hope to wheel with you again soon you rowdy bunch!!

longarmwj

Tech Notes For Customer: while disassembling the rear axle i found that both rear axle shafts are twisted at the splines, and the
crush sleeve is crushed further than normal. this means there was probably a pretty large shock load at one point and that twisted the
shafts and compressed the crush sleeve. and once that happened, it allowed the pinion to have movement, which wore out the pinion
bearings and seal. the axle was designed with a crush sleeve from the factory, but under higher stress they can fail.
currently will need new pinion bearings and seal. along with suggesting new rear shafts (chromoly if you plan to continue wheeling)
and upgrading to a crush sleeve eliminator which will eliminate the chance of a crush sleeve failure again.
the gearset looks to be ok, some light increased wear because of the miles driven with the pinion issue, but it seems like it will be fine.
will not know if there is any gear pattern noise until it is driven again with new bearings.
id also like to open up the locker to look inside and see if anything was damaged during the axle shafts twisting.

So new bearings and the crush sleeve eliminator ordered. Should the gears need to be replaced they are covered under the Yukon YES warranty and the shafts I'll order on my own and replace them. All in all, I got off pretty light except for the fingering I got at the stealership in Oak Ridge. But truth be told the amazing time I had with you all makes that a non issue. Hope to wheel with you again soon you rowdy bunch!!

Glad it isn’t a huge fix. Crush sleeve eliminator might be on my list now.

And that last sentence pretty much summed the weekend up. Y’all throw down on the trails.

My only question now is, when are we all heading west?

Coop

Caught the Bug
Glad it isn’t a huge fix. Crush sleeve eliminator might be on my list now.

And that last sentence pretty much summed the weekend up. Y’all throw down on the trails.

My only question now is, when are we all heading west?

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coop

Caught the Bug

Glad you got it home in one piece and didn’t do more damage. Definitely up for more wheeling with everybody! Out west would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JKbrick

Can you post up the crush sleeve eliminator for the factory rear axle?

JKbrick

Top Bottom