Spare tire dilemma.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and go with teraflex hinged carrier. Any experience with that?

squirrel.jpg

Seems like a relatively cheap way to go with out spending 1500 on a good bumper/carrier combo and still leaves the option of a nice bumper later.

'Relatively Cheap' to me would be 'free.' Utilize the carrier that you already have.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

A brand new ending may be a tire coming off and hurting someone behind you.

xman4602

View attachment 235580

'Relatively Cheap' to me would be 'free.' Utilize the carrier that you already have.

Ok. I've read enough of that to stay away from that. Just gonna throw on a cheap spacer for now and go with a nice bumper carrier down the road after I recoup from the current spending spree!

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

WJCO

Meme King
Ok. I've read enough of that to stay away from that. Just gonna throw on a cheap spacer for now and go with a nice bumper carrier down the road after I recoup from the current spending spree!

Wise choice. Make sure you get the tailgate bumpers firmly against the tire so it doesn't move around. FYI, Zone makes a spare tire spacer that moves tire out an inch, I used one on mine. Seems fine for the price.

xman4602

Wise choice. Make sure you get the tailgate bumpers firmly against the tire so it doesn't move around. FYI, Zone makes a spare tire spacer that moves tire out an inch, I used one on mine. Seems fine for the price.

Did you do a diy bumper extension or just buy the daystars?

WJCO

Meme King
Did you do a diy bumper extension or just buy the daystars?

We did the Daystars on the wife's JK, make sure you get the firm rubber ones, not the flimsy foam ones. There's 2 out there. You could also use hardware store pipe like Mr.Ty or USMC Wrangler. The spacer I was referring to though was for my DIY carrier on my WJ but it's designed for a JK: http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-spare-tire-relocation-bracket-jeep-wrangler-jk/j5029

DSC03544.JPG

DSC03547.JPG

Off-road Evolution makes one that is the same concept but looks to be better built and engineered. I'd look at that one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wheatbackdigger

View attachment 235580

Better be on the lookout for the new 2017's with the "swing gate reinforcement" option. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but it's been documented that Teraflex is Jeep's supplier. (Read it on the internet, so it must be true). I imagine I'll see a lot of 35's and 37's rolling down I-80. IMG_1119.JPG

Better be on the lookout for the new 2017's with the "swing gate reinforcement" option. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but it's been documented that Teraflex is Jeep's supplier. (Read it on the internet, so it must be true). I imagine I'll see a lot of 35's and 37's rolling down I-80. View attachment 235724

:doh: I dont understand why Jeep wont engineer certain things into the design knowing full well what we do with/to them. I live in an area where I cant go more than a few blocks without seeing a built JK and the ratio of built vs stock jeeps sways heavy to the built side. I dont expect them to offer them from the factory with armor and 35's. But a decent spare tire carrier capable of supporting at a minimum of a 35 inch tire should be a no brainer. And 4.10's should be standard accross all model wrangler. But....what do I know.

USMC Wrangler

I posted the upside down pull bar being used as a skid. It takes the edge off but I'm still nervous about it. It is not a final solution in my opinion. I plan on making my own tire carrier in the upcoming year and it will be frame/bumper mounted.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Top Bottom