SPARE TIRE Inside Your Wrangler

Brute

Hooked
I also don't get not carrying a spare...the number 1 trail repair is a flat tire...and quite often it's a sidewall gash. Sure, you can try to stuff 9 plugs into the gash, but usually it's not successful....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My "sister"-in-law drives a Subaru and actually gets out there and explores. Of course, he's a tree hugger and has one that's all electric. Not too long ago, he blew out a sidewall exploring pretty deep in Nevada and when he went to change out his tire, all he found was a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor 🤪

Fortunately, a more capable rig from a near by ranch just happened to run into him and saved his ass.
Fixed it for you.

My brother-in-law drives a Subaru and actually gets out there and explores. Of course, he's a tree hugger and has one that's all electric. Not too long ago, he blew out a sidewall exploring pretty deep in Nevada and when he went to change out his tire, all he found was a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor 🤪

Fortunately, a more capable rig from a near by ranch just happened to run into him and saved his ass.
He must be from California.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Yea I’m not a fan of it at all. I ran it like that for a bit with my old JK and found it a pain in the ass. Besides what you all already said on room. I ended up putting all my stuff on top which would have been a pain in the ass to unload in the case of a change. I’ll gladly keep my tire on the outside for easy access.

I take mine off completely for Sand Hollow or other trails where we will do a lot of steep verticals. Running a 42” tire that high and far back on those trails makes you way too light up front. Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab type stuff, I leave it on, it’s not a big deal.
Not a problem in Sand Hollow. You just "make the call" and some off-road recovery outfit with a YouTube channel will come and save you. Once you have paid for the service, you may get a "free" T-shirt. 😄

My brother-in-law drives a Subaru and actually gets out there and explores. Of course, he's a tree hugger and has one that's all electric. Not too long ago, he blew out a sidewall exploring pretty deep in Nevada and when he went to change out his tire, all he found was a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor 🤪

Our 2007 Subaru Outback came with a useless donut tire. So I bought a spare factory wheel and put a tire the same size as the others on it. After a bit of hammering to round things out a bit, everything fits fine in the normal spare tire compartment.

Ha1

You guys beat me to it... I've seen way more "No spare" people than I have noticed with a spare in the back.

What are the odds of being able to get back on the road if you have a flat on a 37" tire and have no spare, especially on the highway or away from home. They're more common than they used to be, but my local tire shops don't stock 37's except for occasionally. You'd have to borrow a spare from another lifted jeep (good luck with that) or call for a roll back tow truck.
That's the rationale I've been told . . . if you get a flat you just call AAA. Even if you never go off the road/beaten path, you have to hope that AAA has a tire that works and even then wait around until they get there and then mount everything up just so you can then make your way back so you can get your tire replaced and balanced.

There is ZERO spare tire on the electric ones. The battery takes up all the space.
Many car models come with only a tire repair kit these days.

The Subaru Outback used to be known as a pretty capable off-roader, for what it is. The car actually has pretty good ground clearance at something like 9". It does not seem that electric (or CVT transmission) are a good choice.

Ddays

Hooked
I can't ever be comfortable running around on the road without a spare. Whether it's a long trip or just running around locally I won't do it. Especially running an 8 lug wheel & 40" tires. get a flat & you're screwed. Now on a wheeling trip that's concentrated in a park, I'll run without a spare, especially if I'm stripped down, doors & all. But if it's in the back country anywhere, gotta have a spare. You're just asking for trouble otherwise.

GP NOIR

Hooked
When I broke the carrier on my JK, I had to stash the spare inside. Even a 35 takes up a lot of space!

I wouldn't mind carrying a spare inside if I towed the Jeep behind the motorhome and wasn't going to need the back seats on that trip. As I normally need room for a tent, two cots, camping gear, the wife and pup, the spare belongs on the carrier.

Last edited:

matt

Caught the Bug
I think it looks better without it, but I'm not a hard core wheeler or have a family to haul around. Mostly fire roads and such.

IMG_0175.JPG

and they look silly with full doors hard tops. (the day i sold it)

IMG_0306.JPG

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Obviously, it's a thing and all the cool kids do it but am I really the only one out there who finds taking the spare off the tailgate to be completely unnecessary? I mean sure, I'm a mall crawler and don't have a clue about anything but am I really so crazy to not want to take up what precious little room I have inside my Wrangler by purposefully putting a big ass spare in it?

On a somewhat regular basis, I get guys asking me what "my thoughts" are on this and I thought I'd pose that question to all of you. Not trying to be factious here but rather, just looking for an honest discussion. Maybe even have some of you change my mind about it :)

Unless you are racing a quality spare carrier like the EVO will be more than strong enough to carry a 40 with no issues. My Jeep has rested on the spare tire without a problem.

Also I need the room in the back of my Jeep for the ARB fridge filled with Pliny.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Top Bottom