Spare tire spacer?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm running my 35 with 20" rim (around 120 lbs) on the tailgate with the smittybilt tire carrier and hinges are holding up just fine . Been running it like this for at least 2 years with very frequent trail runs. It is resting on the bumper and firmly against the bump stops so movement is minimal. If you don't wanna spend the money on the teraflex hinges or a whole bumper setup for that matter, but have a little pocket change I'd recommend the smittybilt carrier. That being said, I still remove it most of the time I wheel just for giggles :thumb:

So how often do you wheel with the tire in the smittybilt carrier? :thinking:

Devallee

So how often do you wheel with the tire in the smittybilt carrier? :thinking:

Usually on the slower stuff, which is probably once every couple weeks. I take it off for the faster stuff cuz of the extra vibration. But I only started taking the tire off during the last year. Before that I kept it on there 24/7 :thumb:

bl17z90

I saw that carrier i don't really understand how its different from the others......the theme here sounds like if i keep the tire up against the bump stops it'll be fine.

mrmet1983

i think im going to go with just the bump stops as well since im not running a rear bumper anyway , now what about that kit that strengthens the tail gate on quadratec? i wonder if that really does anything special

KJ_CJtoJK

I just mounted 35" GY Duratracs on my stock 17" rims (2012 Wrangler). I have the following on order so that I can mount the spare on stock carrier:

http://www.autoanything.com/jeep-tops/60A4665A0A0.aspx

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm

The reinforcement kit description states it is only for up to 2010, but I believe this is an error (other sites shows it will work for up to 2013).

I expect it any day.

The spare tire relocation bracket ended up not working. besides spacing out the tire it lifted it up also. This caused the tire to cover up the 3rd brake light. I ended up ordering a cheap 1.25" wheel spacer from e-bay. This worked out great.

The reinforcement kit was fairly easy to install once you get the hang of it. The instruction are not very helpful and the supplied bolts that are used to break off the tack welds are too soft (bolts will break before tack welds). You need to thread them very deed to minimize bolt shank flex. I used vice-grips to get the leverage. Also needed to purchase a couple more bolts since the bolts will eventually fatigue and break before you get all the tack welded nuts removed. The kit looks like it would be effective spreading the load out over a larger area - it appears to make sense and is not to expensive.

KJ_CJtoJK

I also installed the Daystar tailgate bumpstops (although the 35" tire sets tightly in the stock bumper recess and pretty much prevents any deflection - it's like it was designed to fit a 35" tire)

Black Ops

I just used a standard wheel spacer to mount my 35s on stock carrier with factory wheels. Although it did not touch bump stops but worked fine. I even had it powder coated black for those times I had spare in back so it blended in. Still have it if you want it. No longer using. Just pm me.

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

I have the synergy spacer/lifter and that moves it out just fine but it seems like the entire tailgate and carrier are moving with the spare now...:thinking:

mrmet1983

I think I'm going to just go with day star bumps and see what I can do , it seems like all these kits cause more headaches then they prevent.

Sent from my JK

bl17z90

I have seen some sharp rocks at rausch so i wanted a thick sidewall lol.

My buddy is working on some ideas for a carrier or possibly a support of some kind.

mrmet1983

I have seen some sharp rocks at rausch so i wanted a thick sidewall lol.

My buddy is working on some ideas for a carrier or possibly a support of some kind.

Sweet and ill let u know how the spacers work when I get by spare

Sent from my JK

bl17z90

Just fyi. The dayatara don't screw in as easily as you would think and once you take the stockers off you will have a hell of a time putting them back on.

Top Bottom