Sport build up vs. rubicon

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I don't see the point in buying a sport just to build a sport up to be the equivalent of a Rubicon (e.g. buying take off Rubi axle, disconnect, Rubi TC). I figure you would be looking at $25k to build something better than a Rubi (e.g. prorock axles, twin stick TC, ARB lockers, gears, etc.).

If you build a Rubi out of a sport, you are likely to end up doing it all over again if you go 37's and above. Building twice sucks, and most people can't afford the lump sum to jump from a sport to something better than a Rubi. For those people, I think it makes more sense to get a Rubi and wheel it while they slowly build it up.

noroad

I don't see the point in buying a sport just to build a sport up to be the equivalent of a Rubicon (e.g. buying take off Rubi axle, disconnect, Rubi TC). I figure you would be looking at $25k to build something better than a Rubi (e.g. prorock axles, twin stick TC, ARB lockers, gears, etc.).

If you build a Rubi out of a sport, you are likely to end up doing it all over again if you go 37's and above. Building twice sucks, and most people can't afford the lump sum to jump from a sport to something better than a Rubi. For those people, I think it makes more sense to get a Rubi and wheel it while they slowly build it up.

Ok cool thanks for you view i was really just interested in how you got the number, thanks! I am in a sport build and can say im probably about 11 in th whole and looking at getting a pr44, so pretty close to that.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok cool thanks for you view i was really just interested in how you got the number, thanks! I am in a sport build and can say im probably about 11 in th whole and looking at getting a pr44, so pretty close to that.

Yep. And I'm not knocking sports. You have a great rig that will be even better with a pr44. But as you know first hand, it gets pricey quick to get to a "better than Rubi" build. If you have to build slow, all I'm saying is it's nice to already have the disconnect, lockers, lower TC, and front 44 to wheel with.

hydrohut

We had a choice between sport and Rubicon when we were buying. Both nice trucks, but considering the price difference (which wasn't that great here in New Zealand) and all the goodies including the stronger front diff and TC that you get on a Rubicon, it was a no brainer. If your like me and not an extreme rock crawler type then in my opinion all you need is a bit of a lift, some better tyres and your good to go in a Rubicon. It's by far the most capable 4x4 Ive had.

dwvninety

Yep. And I'm not knocking sports. You have a great rig that will be even better with a pr44. But as you know first hand, it gets pricey quick to get to a "better than Rubi" build. If you have to build slow, all I'm saying is it's nice to already have the disconnect, lockers, lower TC, and front 44 to wheel with.

I went with a Rubicon for my first Jeep since I did not want to build up to a Rubicon and do it 2x over. Now if I was running a charity SCAM then I wouldn't care. I would build it better than a Rubicon.

suicideking

I agree with this for the most part having gone this route -- I have a sport and swapped in a Rubi d44 front for around $2K including sleeve and gussets, ARB in the rear + compressor for about $1500 installed. I haven't done the TC yet, but want to eventually. A near new Rubi TC parts and labor is about $1200 around here.

I'm not planning on the disconnect system, but will eventually do something like JKS quick discos, antirock, or Rubi no limits. It adds up. A rubi was not an option for me though. Had no idea it would see any trails, not in the budget anyway.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with this for the most part having gone this route -- I have a sport and swapped in a Rubi d44 front for around $2K including sleeve and gussets, ARB in the rear + compressor for about $1500 installed. I haven't done the TC yet, but want to eventually. A near new Rubi TC parts and labor is about $1200 around here.

I'm not planning on the disconnect system, but will eventually do something like JKS quick discos, antirock, or Rubi no limits. It adds up. A rubi was not an option for me though. Had no idea it would see any trails, not in the budget anyway.

Totally understood and again, I'm not trying to dig on Sports. I know people who wheel the hell out of them. They are great vehicles. For me, it just really comes down to where you want your build to end up, how long it will take you to get there, and what "amenities" are immediately important to you and your wheeling style during the progression of your build.

JTLen

So I've been thinking about this myself. No freaking way am I paying $40K for a new rubi. Just doesn't seem worth it to me at all. So I'm sticking with my payed off '07 X 2 door, 4.10 gears and limited slip in the back. Only has 36,000 miles on it, so it's got lots of life left in it.

Rubi T-case swap seems like a no brainer to me and I'll do it when one comes up. I've got quick disconnects and they're fine. Only decision is really on changing the front axle. Thinking I'd just wait until it breaks. I don't wheel that hard, so is an aftermarket 44 a must over a rubi 44 take off?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So I've been thinking about this myself. No freaking way am I paying $40K for a new rubi. Just doesn't seem worth it to me at all. So I'm sticking with my payed off '07 X 2 door, 4.10 gears and limited slip in the back. Only has 36,000 miles on it, so it's got lots of life left in it.

Rubi T-case swap seems like a no brainer to me and I'll do it when one comes up. I've got quick disconnects and they're fine. Only decision is really on changing the front axle. Thinking I'd just wait until it breaks. I don't wheel that hard, so is an aftermarket 44 a must over a rubi 44 take off?

Kind of depends on your tire size and wheeling.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Put $40k into the two door. :thumb:

JTLen

Well, 35" tops, can't imagine going bigger than that. And nothing much past moderate wheeling, probably nothing too hard-core. Unless the price difference is minimal I'm guessing the rubi take off 44 would do the trick for me.

noroad

Totally understood and again, I'm not trying to dig on Sports. I know people who wheel the hell out of them. They are great vehicles. For me, it just really comes down to where you want your build to end up, how long it will take you to get there, and what "amenities" are immediately important to you and your wheeling style during the progression of your build.

You just wanted the heated seats lol i get it i bought some for my sport :cheesy:!

jmatta33

just my ¢.02 but I had a Rubi and I now have a sport. When I bought the Rubi I didnt know how crazy I was going to get into modding it for offroading and once I started looking at everything, I realized that everything I payed extra for on the Rubi was all going to get replaced. axles, suspension, sway bar, wheels and tires. so to me it wasnt worth the $$ to pay and extra 8-10k for a sticker on the hood that said Rubicon. So when I bought my second Jeep I went with a Sport so I could use the money I saved on it, on aftermarket parts that I wanted. its really on you. what you plan to do. how fast you plan to mod your car etc.

RLTW!!!

matthewd5

Well I started out with a sport 2 door

At first I just swapped the front bumper and got slightly bigger tires...

Found a good off-road club and the adventure began

Wound up needing lockers and regearing, one thing led to another and I replaced the complete axles with a pair of Dynatrac's

A Pr rock D44 up front and the D60 in the rear, I was going to go with 35's but was convinced that I might as well go with 37's

I'm quite happy that I did...next is probably a long arm suspension and coil overs

I still need to upgrade my transfer case, either a Rubicon take off swap, or an Atlas!

I'm currently into it for more than a Rubicon would have been, but I never thought I'd be able to use it as much as I have, it's still my semi-daily driver, semi because I don't leave the house every day

matthew

Top Bottom