Sport or Rubicon?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
So I bought a sport and made the mistake of getting 3.21 gears. whats the biggest gears I can put in my stock axles and what else will I need to do? Thanks for the help everyone

Hey Warrkill, I have the same gears and its not the end of the world. Gears? depends on what you will be doing or tire size? I have a 2.5" lift and will be install 35"'s on it. I will be using the 3:21 gears for now but will be going to 4.56 or 4.88. There are a few running this setup right now that say its not as bad as you would think. But diff. re-gear in future!:twocents:

warrkill

Hey Warrkill, I have the same gears and its not the end of the world. Gears? depends

I plan on doing a 2.5 or 3" lift with 35's. I know it wasnt the end of the world but didn't know if Ill have to change out the shafts as well. Also mines a 2dr so will I need to replace just the rear drive shaft or will I need to do the front as well?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I plan on doing a 2.5 or 3" lift with 35's. I know it wasnt the end of the world but didn't know if Ill have to change out the shafts as well. Also mines a 2dr so will I need to replace just the rear drive shaft or will I need to do the front as well?

I have 2dr too, if you lift 3" or more I suggest replacing the front drive shaft. Not sure on rear, but I believe you will not have to replace the rear with a 3". But others with more experience hopefully will chime in.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So I bought a sport and made the mistake of getting 3.21 gears. whats the biggest gears I can put in my stock axles and what else will I need to do? Thanks for the help everyone

If it makes you feel more at ease I test drove a 2 dr with 2" Mopar lift and 33x12.5x17's, automatic. I was very impressed with those size tires and gears as well.

DiggaDon

Thank you for all the replies, sorry for the delay guys.

I think I'm going to go with a sport.

Financially it makes a lot of sense. I like the Rubicon and immediate offroad functionality it provides. It's not that the sport lacks those things but it would tear at my soul to replace parts later that I'm still spending a small fortune on. Plus i've finagled it so I can put the difference from my trade into my pocket, rather than toward the downpayment -- goodbye rubicon, hello aftermarket lockers!

...now to put up a thread about that.

jeepmojo

congrats on deciding . every one has a different need or finance situation

I had bought a 2011 sport , i was thrilled to get it , i didnt know about gearing a the the time and i got 3.21 gearing:rolleyes2::sFun_hot: and no a/c lol the first summer i nearly died from heat , i wanted off the 225 pizza cutters, i added 33s then i found the thing lacked power up hills, lowerd fuel, and i was going to need new gears , beef up front axles , lockers, quick disconect sway bar links , c gussets. better shocks , and also loose the use of the vehicle while doing all this ! . Oh tire carriers etc...and finding a trustworthy jeep shop to do it all or some like re gearing it. , i was thinking lifting , and all sorst of money needed and loosing any type warranty on after market adds, I Traded it in with only 10,000 miles . the difference in the rubicon was $10,000 more but my 2011 was paid in full at this point. I thought im not good with doing all this stuff on my own i knew little and not a lot of jeep friends to get advise or help me . Itraded it and ordered the rubicon . I got $21,000 for my sport so i lost a couple of grand . \The rubicon was $31,000 i made high payments for two years to get the 10 grand paid off. but im payed off now on my 2012 rubicon and i can now add stuff as i see the need . But during the two years ive been driving with out wishing for lockers , better tires, though i had the nittos i had bought and the stockers . I have the elec swaybar, the 410 gearing air condition lol :rock: and low transfer case . all the things i realy wanted. Plus warranty not at risk to be voided on those parts . Now i have things ill do i ordered c gussets. new bumper hd track bar , grade 8 bolts , and just minor things. So it worked out nicely and im not looking to go big 37" tires or even lift it at this time im very happy with it as is. Im glad i traded my sport for these reasons . I was always wishing in the back of my mind i should have bought the rubicon . a sport is just as nice . but more work to do and a lot of down time , and to me the rubicon made good sence seeing i wont replace all the stuff i may up grade as things break, but its been gradual building. Yet less stressful
Best of luck with your choice though and we all have to be happy we have one to work on building . some have plenty of cash flow others have to slowly get it done and always some one who has a better one. either way enjoy the jeep of ( your ) choice do things the way you feel will best suit your long term needs , you loose money usually when you buy the sport and then want the rubicon and trade up for it . Money that could have been spent on parts on either jeep . So dont jump on the decision and get the wrong one ! :twocents:

Last edited:

funfred

I had the Rubi vs Sport discussion with myself and the Sport won.

Biggest reason was the difference in price. It wasn't for affordability reasons; it was for buying stuff that was gonna be replaced or simply not wanted, despite the hype.

If I optioned both vehicles the same while adding 3.73 gears and Trak-Lok to the Sport, the Rubi still cost $5210 more. That buys a lot of aftermarket of MY choice...not a bunch of e-lockin', e-disco-in', 4::1 only good for crawlin', same level of weakness axle housings and cargo space robbin' sub-woofer; all for which I have no want or need as an OEM offering.

That's not to say I don't want the capabilities of the Rubi or more, just that I can get a system better suited to my uses cheaper by starting with the Sport as, pretty much, everything under the frame rails is gonna be replaced anyway...and I won't have to throw out a sub-woofer. :D

Top Bottom