SPRING BOW FIX - Passenger Side Front w/EVO 4.5" Coil

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After installing a new 4.5" EVO Enforcer Stage 3 Overland lift on BANDIT, our 2023 Jeep JT Gladiator Rubicon, I noticed there was visible bowing of the passenger side front coil. From the axle, it was bowing back and then kind of S-curved up to the upper spring perch. Here's a shot of what it looked like.
20240429174239-6b38d380.jpg

Originally, my thought was that the upper isolator might be in need of rotation but after giving things a closer look, I realized that it was actually the lower spring perch isolator that was causing the problem. Fortunately, I had a set of Rancho correction isolators (on the right) and in the pic below, you can see it sitting next to the factory isolator (on the left).
20240429174243-fa78e21f.jpg

The image above is what the isolators would look like sitting on top of the spring perch and when looking at the front of the front axle. While they look similar, the point where the spring would sit in the factory isolator is slightly higher at its lowest point and the indexed part sits considerably higher.

The shot below is how the isolator would sit on top of the spring perch when viewed from the back of the front axle. Here you can see that the factory isolator ramps down toward the back and is almost flat whereas the Rancho isolator ramps up and is measurably thicker.
20240429174244-c6011098.jpg

Needless to say, the factory isolator is causing the EVO spring to bow back and toward the shock and here you can see how installing the Rancho fixes that.
20240429174245-67de9572.jpg

20240429174246-b389af21.jpg

20240429174245-50248ae1.jpg

And just like that, the passenger side front coil is straight again! (y)

I should note that I didn't install a correction isolator on the driver side because I thought the spring looked okay and didn't want to screw it up.

With that said, if you've installed a lift and are experiencing a similar spring bow, here's a link to what you'll want to get to fix it:

20240429174247-0cae46e1.jpg

#ad

Nice! We started installing the RockJock ones (same thing really) on pretty much all lifts that don’t come with them. The bow has certainly been something we started to see as well, especially on taller and softer coils such as EVO. Glad it fixed yours too!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! We started installing the RockJock ones (same thing really) on pretty much all lifts that don’t come with them. The bow has certainly been something we started to see as well, especially on taller and softer coils such as EVO. Glad it fixed yours too!
Definitely a tall but soft spring rate thing and glad to hear the correction isolators have been working out for you as well.

Nice, glad they did the trick! I installed those with my 3.5” rancho springs and the bow was still pretty bad. I ended up needing to have the castor set to 6 degrees and that helped with the issue. I may do your upper isolater trick in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, glad they did the trick! I installed those with my 3.5” rancho springs and the bow was still pretty bad. I ended up needing to have the castor set to 6 degrees and that helped with the issue. I may do your upper isolater trick in the future.
Different springs are made differently and also react differently to the shaped isolators. Like you, I installed the Rancho isolators and had a different bow and rotating the upper isolator helped that out.

Bear_JT

Hooked
After installing a new 4.5" EVO Enforcer Stage 3 Overland lift on BANDIT, our 2023 Jeep JT Gladiator Rubicon, I noticed there was visible bowing of the passenger side front coil. From the axle, it was bowing back and then kind of S-curved up to the upper spring perch. Here's a shot of what it looked like.
20240429174239-6b38d380.jpg

Originally, my thought was that the upper isolator might be in need of rotation but after giving things a closer look, I realized that it was actually the lower spring perch isolator that was causing the problem. Fortunately, I had a set of Rancho correction isolators (on the right) and in the pic below, you can see it sitting next to the factory isolator (on the left).
20240429174243-fa78e21f.jpg

The image above is what the isolators would look like sitting on top of the spring perch and when looking at the front of the front axle. While they look similar, the point where the spring would sit in the factory isolator is slightly higher at its lowest point and the indexed part sits considerably higher.

The shot below is how the isolator would sit on top of the spring perch when viewed from the back of the front axle. Here you can see that the factory isolator ramps down toward the back and is almost flat whereas the Rancho isolator ramps up and is measurably thicker.
20240429174244-c6011098.jpg

Needless to say, the factory isolator is causing the EVO spring to bow back and toward the shock and here you can see how installing the Rancho fixes that.
20240429174245-67de9572.jpg

20240429174246-b389af21.jpg

20240429174245-50248ae1.jpg

And just like that, the passenger side front coil is straight again! (y)

I should note that I didn't install a correction isolator on the driver side because I thought the spring looked okay and didn't want to screw it up.

With that said, if you've installed a lift and are experiencing a similar spring bow, here's a link to what you'll want to get to fix it:

20240429174247-0cae46e1.jpg

#ad
Eddie, thank you for sharing this! The bow on mine is killing my OCD.

Top Bottom