Stalling issues

USMC Wrangler

Any updates? I’ve had several stalls and sputters lately. Changed the crankshaft position sensor today and drove about 20 miles. First time since Thursday it didn’t stall on me.

I never got any immediate codes and none stored from the previous stalls and sputters.

Any updates? I’ve had several stalls and sputters lately. Changed the crankshaft position sensor today and drove about 20 miles. First time since Thursday it didn’t stall on me.

I never got any immediate codes and none stored from the previous stalls and sputters.

Does it shut off like you turned a key or does it sputter off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

USMC Wrangler

Does it shut off like you turned a key or does it sputter off.

No sputtering right before the stalls. I had a brief sputter or single chug cruising around 50 mph a couple weeks ago. That’s was my first symptom.

The stalls have been in drive coming to a stop. Engine just stops like the key is in the on position.

Bear_JT

Hooked
No sputtering right before the stalls. I had a brief sputter or single chug cruising around 50 mph a couple weeks ago. That’s was my first symptom.

The stalls have been in drive coming to a stop. Engine just stops like the key is in the on position.

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes actually! So mine was doing exactly what you described yours doing. Coming to a stop or very slow driving like pulling into our out of a parking space. Even just parked and idling it would die.

Driving down the road at about 35-45 it would almost stutter if you will. I had changed my cam shaft position sensors, the EVAP system integrity module and it ran ok for a couple days and seemed good, then it stalled on me again.

I had enough and took it to my local dealership today. They diagnosed it and said the crankshaft position sensor was loosing signal and replaced it. They also said there was a few engine program updates that they updated as well. It seems to be running much smoother now and knock on wood it hasn’t stuttered or stalled yet.

USMC Wrangler

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes actually! So mine was doing exactly what you described yours doing. Coming to a stop or very slow driving like pulling into our out of a parking space. Even just parked and idling it would die.

Driving down the road at about 35-45 it would almost stutter if you will. I had changed my cam shaft position sensors, the EVAP system integrity module and it ran ok for a couple days and seemed good, then it stalled on me again.

I had enough and took it to my local dealership today. They diagnosed it and said the crankshaft position sensor was loosing signal and replaced it. They also said there was a few engine program updates that they updated as well. It seems to be running much smoother now and knock on wood it hasn’t stuttered or stalled yet.

That’s frustrating but glad it seems good now. When I unplugged the harness from my crankshaft sensor it was full of engine oil. After installing the new one, I had the old one in a box. I had cleaned it off to reduce my mess but it continued to leak oil. I’m guessing that’s not normal and what the problem may have been. My fingers are crossed for no more stalls!

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue or has any ideas because I’m at a loss for where to start.

About 400 miles ago I swapped to 4.88 gears and on my 50 mile drive home I noticed it holding 3rd gear a little longer than normal to shift to 4th at about 4,500 RPM. About 100 miles ago I was in a parking lot and reversed out of the parking space and my Jeep stalled. I shifted back to park started it right up and moved on.

Today, same situation happened while reversing. I started it it back up and drove it about 20 minutes and while sitting in another parking lot idling in park it stalled out of no where. I started it back up and tried reversing to leave and the RPM’s went up but I didn’t move. I shifted to park then back to reverse and it jolted then reversed. Once in drive it stalled again. I went through the same restart method and RPM’s went up but didn’t move forward. Shifted back to park then drive and it jolted again and then rolled. I’m planning on starting with a filter and fluid change to see if that does anything.

Sorry for the long post but I’ve never had this kind of thing happen before. Thanks for any help.

I had a similar issue turned out to be the transmission solenoid. Actually a very easy swap. Just drop the transmission pan and the solenoids are right there. It fixed my issue.

Bear_JT

Hooked
That’s frustrating but glad it seems good now. When I unplugged the harness from my crankshaft sensor it was full of engine oil. After installing the new one, I had the old one in a box. I had cleaned it off to reduce my mess but it continued to leak oil. I’m guessing that’s not normal and what the problem may have been. My fingers are crossed for no more stalls!

That’s weird it was leaking oil. I’m wondering if just age and heat is causing them to go out. Hopefully that resolves it for you. I know what you mean. I’m crossing my fingers and toes for no more stalls.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I had a similar issue turned out to be the transmission solenoid. Actually a very easy swap. Just drop the transmission pan and the solenoids are right there. It fixed my issue.

I’ll keep that in mind if I get anymore stalls. It’s interesting that the transmission would cause a stall at idle for me but when mine was stalling, I would shift back to drive after re-starting it and I couldn’t go anywhere. It would just rev for a short time then go into gear and I’d go.

USMC Wrangler

That’s weird it was leaking oil. I’m wondering if just age and heat is causing them to go out. Hopefully that resolves it for you. I know what you mean. I’m crossing my fingers and toes for no more stalls.

Yeah, never changed one before on any vehicle. Saw one YT video on it and expected some oil when it came out. I was at 92,300 miles this morning when I changed it. The video I watched was a 13 like mine and about the same mileage. So, could be just normal I guess. [emoji2371]

Bear_JT

Hooked
Yeah, never changed one before on any vehicle. Saw one YT video on it and expected some oil when it came out. I was at 92,300 miles this morning when I changed it. The video I watched was a 13 like mine and about the same mileage. So, could be just normal I guess. [emoji2371]

I wish I would have done it myself but I was getting very frustrated after the parts I had already thrown at it. I’m at 114,600 now. I hope this solves the problem now. The dealer did give me a 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty on the part which I thought was good.

USMC Wrangler

I wish I would have done it myself but I was getting very frustrated after the parts I had already thrown at it. I’m at 114,600 now. I hope this solves the problem now. The dealer did give me a 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty on the part which I thought was good.

I’m 100 miles in with the new sensor. Zero issues. Hope you’re having the same, good result. [emoji1303]

Top Bottom