Starting my little red TJ build

cdygibson

Am I missing something with bead locks? Something doesn't look right to me. Don't they pinch the bead of the tire in-between?

Old man

The last picture TSL (35) is on a bead lock , tire is pinched between rim and outer ring. The pro comp (33) tires is on a fake bead lock.

Looks great.

I may have you help me build a set of bead locks. Those look stronger than the allied ones I have.

Last edited:

cdygibson

The last picture TSL (35) is on a bead lock , tire is pinched between rim and outer ring. The pro comp (33) tires is on a fake bead lock.

Do you leave the bead of the tire on the outside of the wheel then put the outer ring on? Is that how they normally work?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
are those hard to balance at all? i was talking to a local shop about having a set made but was worried about that part mainly

Old man

Here is some more pictures of bead locks with tire in place.
Have not had tire balanced yet, will let you know if they can be.

photo (16).jpg photo (17).jpg

cdygibson

Ok I got it now I didn't realize you did them like that I always thought you would have to grind down the wheel to make the tire sit in the normal bead location.

Old man

Got my cage tacked , have it out of jeep doing a full weld.

photo (22).jpg photo (23).jpg

Had to notch side post to make door strap easy to get off.

photo (24).jpg

MC2003TJ

Hey Old Man,
The TJ is looking great! I have a 2003 TJ also and I want to run the Rubicon again in August or September. When are you thinking of coming out to California? Do you want any company? I am looking for at least one or two more jeeps to make the run. Safety in numbers. I used to wheel with my Dad but he passed away a couple of years ago and I am just now getting back into it.

Top Bottom