Steering geometry questions

JKbrick

It looks really straight to me! I'm planning on doing the 4.5" BDS kit this next year.

I know some will give me crap for this but you have to test, test, & test. Go roll over the nastiest railroad crossing and see if you get death wobble at speed. Obviously don't do it during rush hour. I see you said you don't want to put on a pitman arm with a larger drop but that'd be the only thing I'd do.

All else fails take it to an alignment shop.

I would personally stay away from a drop pitman arm, it puts too much stress on the sector shaft, plus some don't fit the splines well and skip around

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

If you're not having issues, leave it alone. That's what I would do.

Issues with my steering? The are small issues that I have learned to live with. Slight wandering, flightiness, delay in steering response etc. it doesn't make it dangerous to drive, I'm just tired of the annoyances it makes. The biggest part is I know it can be better. Just have to weasel out the gremlins.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Wandering and flightiness could be your caster setting, not sure about the sector shaft brace, I've read they are not needed either. A good flip kit with a good raised track bar bracket and a good tie rod with the correct caster should get you what you are after I believe

RageKage

Wandering and flightiness could be your caster setting, not sure about the sector shaft brace, I've read they are not needed either. A good flip kit with a good raised track bar bracket and a good tie rod with the correct caster should get you what you are after I believe

I think my biggest problem is I'm still on a D30 with 37's [emoji23] but I removed the front driveshaft so my caster should be good but not 100% certain. Also the axle isn't 100% centered but I'm going to correct that soon. Everyone has given me some pretty good insight so I think I need to swap back to the stock pitman arm and swap the BDS track bar bracket for the EVO one I have laying around and I will be about where I'm wanting considering steering geometry.

Edit: I have a synergy tie rod and plan on getting the synergy drag link in the future. Debating on high steer knuckles or not but I don't think they are needed more of a want.

JKbrick

I think my biggest problem is I'm still on a D30 with 37's [emoji23] but I removed the front driveshaft so my caster should be good but not 100% certain. Also the axle isn't 100% centered but I'm going to correct that soon. Everyone has given me some pretty good insight so I think I need to swap back to the stock pitman arm and swap the BDS track bar bracket for the EVO one I have laying around and I will be about where I'm wanting considering steering geometry.

Edit: I have a synergy tie rod and plan on getting the synergy drag link in the future. Debating on high steer knuckles or not but I don't think they are needed more of a want.

I'm sorry I don't know how to redirect you to other threads by posting a link but there are threads that will show you how to do your caster. Your driveshaft doesn't affect your caster, your control arms do. You want +4*

WJCO

Meme King

First find out if you have a drop pitman arm. Looks like it to me but hard to tell for sure. Also, your drag link is already flipped, high steer knuckles would not be a benefit for you.

RageKage

I'm sorry I don't know how to redirect you to other threads by posting a link but there are threads that will show you how to do your caster. Your driveshaft doesn't affect your caster, your control arms do. You want +4*

Oh no no. I completely understand caster and how to adjust it. I didn't explain completely enough. My lift is so much that my drive shaft was basically tearing itself apart and the caster on the stock axle would have to have been adjusted so much that my springs and everything else would have been way out of whack so I just removed the stock front driveshaft so I didn't have to worry about it breaking by keeping good caster. Sorry I didn't explain all that lol.

RageKage

First find out if you have a drop pitman arm. Looks like it to me but hard to tell for sure. Also, your drag link is already flipped, high steer knuckles would not be a benefit for you.

The pitman looks like it's dropped. It has a huge drop at least to me. Yea I flipped the drag link after doing my first stint of research and realized that anything over 4" required a drag link flip. I drove with it I flipped for about 6 months or so and from Kansas to California twice and then form California to Alaska and towed my 74 CJ5 behind the jeep from Kansas to California. Wasn't a horrible drive by any means but definitely felt the improvement after I flipped the drag link. Night and day difference.

Top Bottom