Still vibrating at 45mph help

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
ah ok, the stock DS is a single piece. With the 2.5" lift it may be enough to wear the bearings out on the stock repezza joint.

while there are rebuild kits available, IMO the stock DS is not worth repairing or spending money on a rebalance.

You'll be better off getting an after-market double cardan drive shaft. It'll be able to handle the articulation angles better as well.

Before you do anything DS related, have you checked the caster angle? you should be at stock angle or real close to it with the 2.5" lift.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...nt-End-Alignment?p=42391&viewfull=1#post42391

when you had the DS off did you happen to move the ends around to feel for any binding or grinding - indicators of worn bearings in the repezza joint

I actually already replaced the cv joint a few months ago on the front DS. I really want to upgrade to aftermarket shafts but my budget won't allow it right now. If I can balance it for now, hoping to upgrade next year. I haven't checked the caster angle but will do it as soon as I can, thanks for the link and info. BTW what do you recommend for shafts? I keep hearing good things about Adam's or Tom's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I actually already replaced the cv joint a few months ago on the front DS. I really want to upgrade to aftermarket shafts but my budget won't allow it right now. If I can balance it for now, hoping to upgrade next year. I haven't checked the caster angle but will do it as soon as I can, thanks for the link and info. BTW what do you recommend for shafts? I keep hearing good things about Adam's or Tom's.

Adams makes a good DS, Tom Woods make sure you request or that it comes with Spicer u-joint, J.E Reel also makes a good DS.

If you can find a local driveline shop to make one for you it'll probably be cheaper and if you have any issues with it you can just go back to them.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Update. So the driveline shop is saying my driveshafts are fine and thinks it has to be my tires. There is a guy local that can cut down the thread of the tires to make them all equal, never heard of this process but maybe someone can give me a clue as to if this will help. Any idea why my tires would be fine until after the regear? I've had my tires rebalanced but I suppose there just could be a bad tire. Could the stud I replaced a little while ago due to being cross threaded be an issue? Would a wheel bearing unit cause this if it's bad? Could the cross threaded stud have hurt my wheel or tire?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If your tires were fine before they should be fine now. Did you rotate recently? When I put my MTs on the first 2 rotations I have to come back 2 or 3 times to get them balanced out properly. It really depends who does it. I just rotated yesterday I believe it’s my 5th rotation so far on these and I feel some shaking but not until 55-60mph.
Maybe try balancing your tires. Also you should check your u joints on your front axle shafts, that can cause vibrations also.
In my case when my factory front driveshaft gave out I felt pretty bad vibrations at highway speed, very visible on mirrors and I actually felt my ass vibrating in the seat. I also heard a clanking/skipping noise at very low speeds when parking.
IMG_3502.jpg
I was pretty easy to find in my case. I jacked up the Jeep and started spinning the driveline with my hand on the driveshaft, I was able to hear and feel the skipping and quickly narrowed it down. I am not saying that’s what you problem is but it’s worth a shot, maybe you can detect something by doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If your tires were fine before they should be fine now. Did you rotate recently? When I put my MTs on the first 2 rotations I have to come back 2 or 3 times to get them balanced out properly. It really depends who does it. I just rotated yesterday I believe it’s my 5th rotation so far on these and I feel some shaking but not until 55-60mph.
Maybe try balancing your tires. Also you should check your u joints on your front axle shafts, that can cause vibrations also.
In my case when my factory front driveshaft gave out I felt pretty bad vibrations at highway speed, very visible on mirrors and I actually felt my ass vibrating in the seat. I also heard a clanking/skipping noise at very low speeds when parking.
View attachment 280016
I was pretty easy to find in my case. I jacked up the Jeep and started spinning the driveline with my hand on the driveshaft, I was able to hear and feel the skipping and quickly narrowed it down. I am not saying that’s what you problem is but it’s worth a shot, maybe you can detect something by doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have rotated and rebalanced the tires after first noticing the vibrations but didn't seem to help. I also checked the U joints and they seem fine and the shop confirmed that both front and rear shafts are fine at this point. I'll take to this shop who can test the shape of the tires and round it out if it's irregularly shaped and have them rebalance and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply and advice.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had to take the tires and have them balanced again after having them rotated and balanced. Just depends on the machine operator as to how well a job they do.

Do they have stick-on or clip-on weights? even thought I've had both types of weights fall off, the clip-on seemed to fall off quicker.

are the tires wearing odd? can you post pics?

A JK 2010

I have had similar problems I feel your pain and frustration. I have had my tires balanced 5 different times in order to get rid of my vibration Hopefully the next shop will figure out if it is the shape of the tires. Good luck

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I've had to take the tires and have them balanced again after having them rotated and balanced. Just depends on the machine operator as to how well a job they do.

Do they have stick-on or clip-on weights? even thought I've had both types of weights fall off, the clip-on seemed to fall off quicker.

are the tires wearing odd? can you post pics?
They do have stick on weights right now. I took a picture of the weights before I drove it so I can tell if any fall off bit so far they are the same. I'll try to take pics when I get the Jeep back I'd it isn't fixed but from what I can tell there wasn't anything out of ordinary with the wear.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I have had similar problems I feel your pain and frustration. I have had my tires balanced 5 different times in order to get ride of my vibration Hopefully the next shop will figure out if it is the shape of the tires. Good luck
It's so frustrating. I almost regret regearing because I had 0 issues but then again I love the regain of power. Hopefully I'll get it figured out. Maybe when they regeared it they messed up something and I just can't find what it could be. The tires are old and has some cracking on top on the thread but no on the sidewall. I also run them on 26 psi but I don't think it would cause any issues over time, maybe it can?

BobNH

What was your gearing prior to the change? I went from 3.07 to 4.88 with my TJ, initially on 31's as well. The driveline was just spinning so much faster that every little thing became a massive vibe. A slightly out of balance driveshaft, or in my case a bent pinion yoke, becomes unbearable at the raised rpm's from the gearing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
It's so frustrating. I almost regret regearing because I had 0 issues but then again I love the regain of power. Hopefully I'll get it figured out. Maybe when they regeared it they messed up something and I just can't find what it could be. The tires are old and has some cracking on top on the thread but no on the sidewall. I also run them on 26 psi but I don't think it would cause any issues over time, maybe it can?

I've seen enough of my friends complain when their MT's get old they tend to grab the road more and cause them issues, try airing them up to see if it changes anything.

have you done a chalk test on the tires to see if 26psi is the best pressure?

I didn't read in the thread - did you check your front caster angle? is it at stock setting?

what about the rear DS - is the DS in proper alignment from axle to transfer case?

that missing bolt on the DS may be affecting it.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Update : happy to report the problem has been fixed and I'm now driving vibration free. Turns out the tires were irregularly shaped and the shop did a process called truing the tires which rounds them out again. So thankful to finally get my baby back!

jeeeep

Hooked
Update : happy to report the problem has been fixed and I'm now driving vibration free. Turns out the tires were irregularly shaped and the shop did a process called truing the tires which rounds them out again. So thankful to finally get my baby back!

that's awesome...I've never heard of the process.

did you see what they did? did they shave tread off the tires?

more questions lol -

if you do a tire rotation, do they need to have the process done again?

did they do all 4 tires?

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
that's awesome...I've never heard of the process.

did you see what they did? did they shave tread off the tires?
Didn't see it but they explained that they would shave off the treads that wasn't uniform to make it round again. Would have been cool to witness.

Top Bottom