Stuck in the Swell

dytrdr5

I haven’t heard or seen good things about the Smittybilt WASP, there’s a couple good videos on YouTube on how it just doesn’t dig in and grab like a Pull pal does

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Collins

That's a cool story. Glad you made it out.

Anybody know of any videos with a recovery like this out there?

My wife took some video footage of me just spinning my wheels, getting more stuck. By the time I came up with the technique to get us on-stuck she was more concerned about the possibility of spending the night on the trail than with videoing what finally worked. I wish I had of asked her to video it. I think I saw a video of this method somewhere, but haven't been able to find it.

Clark Collins

I haven’t heard or seen good things about the Smittybilt WASP, there’s a couple good videos on YouTube on how it just doesn’t dig in and grab like a Pull pal does

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I watched one of those videos. The person doing it didn't even try to get it to work. You could see that!

I've got the WASP now and it sure looks to me like it should work if you just push it down into the dirt before trying to winch it. I'll give it a test the next time we go to the desert.

jdofmemi

Rebar is easy to get, but for an anchor, sucker rod out of the oil field owrks great. I used to carry 3 pieces about 5 ft long. It has tool ends, which is the threaded coupler, a little over 2" diameter, with the rod being a little under 1". It won't bend like rebar, and the tool end gives you a good place to hit with the bfh.

With multiple pieces, you can chain them together in soft ground to get a better bite.

Wheeling alone is never ideal, but if you are well prepared, you can get there and back

Top Bottom