Stupid question can't find answer

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a 2010 rubi , with 3.5 short arm lift kit . running 285/70/17 , doing just fine with stock rims... In fact I like it .. Im not running any offsets either. and YET to have rubbing or any tire problem at this time ..

In fact My friend are very surprise .. over my many years of wheeling most assume wider tires are better in fact .. WRONG

If big fat tires were better why doesn't the military run them ??

Actually your wrong. Come out here to California an run some of our trails with your skinny tires. See how far you get.

If fact PM me and I'll lead you with my camera filming.

Army_Vet

Banned
Slow down big guy... Take into account where he is posting from. The terrain is completely different from where you are, skinny tires may be better where he is.

No need to flame the new Guy so soon...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Slow down big guy... Take into account where he is posting from. The terrain is completely different from where you are, skinny tires may be better where he is.

No need to flame the new Guy so soon...

Slow down little guy, first off I didn't quote you an second his statement was general. He didn't specify.

Army_Vet

Banned
I know his statement was general, but sometimes taking in a lil perspective helps.
I would have said, "maybe skinny tires work better where you are; but out here they won't get you to far"

But either way, I wouldn't have been so confrontational. More informative; i'm just saying its not always better...

Is this better? Im trying here Adam...

Last edited:

David1tontj

I have a 2010 rubi , with 3.5 short arm lift kit . running 285/70/17 , doing just fine with stock rims... In fact I like it .. Im not running any offsets either. and YET to have rubbing or any tire problem at this time ..

In fact My friend are very surprise .. over my many years of wheeling most assume wider tires are better in fact .. WRONG

If big fat tires were better why doesn't the military run them ??

You'll do fine with width of 10.5 , and will have no problems .. any wider could be a problem ..

View attachment 48517

It actually depends on the type of wheeling that you intend to do. The military used to run narrow tires to cut through the surface mud and get down to the good traction. That just doesn't work if it is deep mud. Same with sand, wider is better there too. It is simple, wider tire equals more traction. For most all around wheeling a 10.5-12.5 wide tire is great, but it wouldn't be fair to say that the wider tires aren't better (for some things of coarse). I guess it just depends what you intend to do with your rig.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

miguel250r

It actually depends on the type of wheeling that you intend to do. The military used to run narrow tires to cut through the surface mud and get down to the good traction. That just doesn't work if it is deep mud. Same with sand, wider is better there too. It is simple, wider tire equals more traction. For most all around wheeling a 10.5-12.5 wide tire is great, but it wouldn't be fair to say that the wider tires aren't better (for some things of coarse). I guess it just depends what you intend to do with your rig.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

X2 I used to play around with sand toys and the wider foot print in sand the better. I had a buddy with a k5 blazer with sprint car tires on it in the sand and that thing did awesome but it would Prolly suck at rock crawling and narrow trails

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom