Subwoofer/ Sound System

Landman

I saw a company that did this in a jeep at a car show but I can't think of the name of the company. Maybe a google search will yield some results. I discussed with him about it and obviously it would save some space and keep it up and away from damage. However I run 12"s and you would only be able to run 10s in that spot. Also, what do you do when the top is off? They're just sitting there waiting for someone to rip em out if you're in the wrong neighborhood one night. Sounds like a great idea if you're someone that keeps the top on year round, but one of the reasons I bought the jeep in the first place was to take the top off all summer so it wouldn't make sense for me. Seems like a great idea tho and it looked really nice and clean but I'd rather have something I can keep covered when I have the top off

Well you could create a false wall in front of the sub etc... it seems like a good spot that would save space. I just don't know how an under the seat setup would sound.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

leximann

Well I finally pulled the trigger. I went with 2 down firing 10s in a custom enclosure. It's smaller than some of the ones I've seen, I think the measurements were 35 wide x10 long x10 tall. It doesn't look like it will take up much room, and I'm planning on either putting the amp under the passenger seat or in the cubby in the cargo area.

jeeeep

Hooked
Well I finally pulled the trigger. I went with 2 down firing 10s in a custom enclosure. It's smaller than some of the ones I've seen, I think the measurements were 35 wide x10 long x10 tall. It doesn't look like it will take up much room, and I'm planning on either putting the amp under the passenger seat or in the cubby in the cargo area.

be sure to follow up with some pics once you get it installed!

leximann

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400190376.051070.jpg
Here's the finished enclosure! Still waiting on my actual subs... They crushed the first ones and now the replacements are stuck going through customs in Miami....

Devallee

I'd advise putting the amp under the seat (if I had to choose between those two options). Though amps have fans, it's still nice to have them in an area that can get a little fresh air. Inside the cubby might be a little too confined of a space for it to keep cool and run properly/efficiently. Mine is under the driver seat but I plan on running it to the rear with the subs when I redo my system next month. Just my $.02 :thumb:

Devallee

With that aside ^ the box looks great. I'm thinking of making one for my new subs when I get around to it

leximann

I'd advise putting the amp under the seat (if I had to choose between those two options). Though amps have fans, it's still nice to have them in an area that can get a little fresh air. Inside the cubby might be a little too confined of a space for it to keep cool and run properly/efficiently. Mine is under the driver seat but I plan on running it to the rear with the subs when I redo my system next month. Just my $.02 :thumb:

Thanks, I'll mount it there then. I kinda like having that little bit of extra space lol

Thanks guys! I'll post pics of it installed!

theilkjam

So for a while now, Ive had this idea that I was going to beef up my cheesy factory sound system.... And lesson learned, do you research first lol. I've been looking at a similar set up to the pic below, but am worried about when I have the top down and how it will affect the sound quality.. I'm wanting to mount it on the tail gate so it doesn't take up too much room in my 2 door and eventually I plan on getting a tire carrier, so it will have less pull on the tailgate, the amp would most likely be stored in the cubby hole right near the sub. Thoughts...?
View attachment 81017

I work at a high end car audio shop in Springfield Illinois. I did lots and lots of research on what system to install in my Wrangler. As far as speaker upgrades go, I highly recommend Focal PS 165 6.5" components. I have a pair of those in the front and a pair in the back. I installed the tweeter in the sound bar pointing towards the front two seats. These speakers are great mostly due to their efficiency. Very very loud. I can have the doors off and the top back and cruise down the interstate with crystal clear, loud audio.

As far as subs go, I had the installer at our shop build me a ported enclosure for 2 10" Alpine Type-S subwoofers. The box was custom built for a JK 2 door model. So it's built to sit in the cargo area with the seats in use and the tailgate will close perfectly. It's a perfect fit. I had the box coated in Line-X. The cool thing about the box, and this was done by accident... In a 2 door JK if you tumble the rear seats forward... You can turn the box around for more storage. This takes the subs themselves and places them near the front seats where they can't be damaged. And allows me to put anything I want next to the box in the back.

I have two Alpine PDX amps under the front seat. All of this is controlled by an Alpine CDE-HD149BT

I have heard lots of systems in many Jeeps. None of them sound as good as what my finished system sounds like (that sounds arrogant and I apologize)

I will post pictures ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400213616.285774.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400213643.150580.jpg

GuillaumeC91

I have heard lots of systems in many Jeeps. None of them sound as good as what my finished system sounds like (that sounds arrogant and I apologize)

With a system like this, you can probably get away with saying that. Looks good, and must sound even better!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Devallee

This is also a great option and one I would consider as well :thumb: i just like to keep my amp in the back with the subs so when the doors are off nobody can see it. And it's tucked away under my tonneau cover when both the doors and top is off. The amp is the most expensive part of the system so I like to keep it as safe and away from thieving eyes as possible. But that bracket seems to tuck it away pretty well so it doesn't look like that would be too much of a problem

Top Bottom