Suggestions from experienced Jeepers welcome

WJCO

Meme King
So before hitting a trail you would say ride as is? Or just pick a trail I won't get into anything over my head?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Most here are saying to just enjoy your Jeep, test it out, etc. Maybe give it a few months and really decide where you want to be with it. Hang around here for awhile and you'll learn a ton. Also, speaking from experience, it sucks to spend money twice with a Jeep, so really do your research before you make any large purchases.

Chris1015

Also can anyone fill me in on their idea of rim size and price?
I'm seeing wheels on extreme terrain I'm interested in for $65 at 15" (want 35" tire, hopefully that looks).

I don't get what makes a wheel worth $65 and some wheels that are $280 a pop. Where is that extra money going? What questions do you ask yourselves when buying a set of wheels? Around me, trails likely have fewer large rocks (illinois, Midwest) and it's more mud, creeks, forest etc

Chris1015

Most here are saying to just enjoy your Jeep, test it out, etc. Maybe give it a few months and really decide where you want to be with it. Hang around here for awhile and you'll learn a ton. Also, speaking from experience, it sucks to spend money twice with a Jeep, so really do your research before you make any large purchases.
Great idea. I will definitely pull the reigns back a bit. Thanks a ton.

WJCO

Meme King
Also can anyone fill me in on their idea of rim size and price?
I'm seeing wheels on extreme terrain I'm interested in for $65 at 15" (want 35" tire, hopefully that looks).

I don't get what makes a wheel worth $65 and some wheels that are $280 a pop. Where is that extra money going? What questions do you ask yourselves when buying a set of wheels? Around me, trails likely have fewer large rocks (illinois, Midwest) and it's more mud, creeks, forest etc

First of all, Extreme Terrain has been caught ripping off logos from the owner's of this forum, so I wouldn't buy there.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?16432-Extreme-Terrain-Illegally-Selling-Copyrighted-JK-Decals

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32388-Extreme-Terrain-Ripping-Off-WAYALIFE-Again!

As far as rim prices, lots of factors to consider. But I would shy away from 15" rims, you can run into clearance issues with the brake calipers on the Jeep. I myself wouldn't go less than 17. As far as price point, we just bought a set of 5 tires and wheels from Discount for about 2600.00. These were procomp 17s with 33" Duratrac tires. You could use your stock rims if you wanted to go 35s, but you would need 1.5" wheel spacers for clearance most likely.

DSC04112.jpg

On my WJ, I used JK wheels (from Craigslist) with 1.5 Spidertrax spacers. I also got new tires recently, Cooper STT pro 33s, and I think they were about 1700 total. Can't remember for sure.

whoknows.jpg

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the new jeep. Lots of great advice here. I too rushed in head first modding my then-new 2015. I ended up replacing stuff twice in some cases.

First- basic safety/recovery gear. Now you can put out fires, stop the bleeding, and have someone get you un-stuck, or un-stick someone else.
-Make a first aid kid
-Fire extinguisher- fits real nice along the side of the driver's seat
-3"x30' tow strap
-Jumper cables- spend money and get long heavy gauge ones
-Leather gloves
-a couple of 3/4" d-rings

-You already have LED headlights- good move. Light bar is overrated- not many people wheel at night. If you need more light, a couple of LED cubes on windshield brackets will get the job done

-Best bang for the buck is a levelling kit (like EVO) and 35's. You want at least 17x8 wheels. I really like goodyear duratracs, but if you're mostly street, BFG all-terrains are great too. Quadratrac has some rubicon look-a-like wheels out now that are wider than stock. There's also a million aftermarket wheels. Make sure the backspacing is correct for the jeep.

-Then look info a rear tire carrier or bumper/carrier for your now way heavy spare tire- the stock carrier can pop rivets on the tailgate with a 35 hanging on there.

Things that I really like after I added them:

CB radio
Bartact seat covers
M.O.R.E. dead pedal
Painless wiring trail rocker (I have a lot of added on goodies and having touched a stock jeep wire to splice anything)
Found an OEM premium soft top on craigslist
MOPAR/jeep rubber mats and cargo mat, sill protectors
EVO rock sliders
ACE rear bumper
Poison spyder brawler lite front bumper
Warn M8000S winch
JW speaker head and tail lights
Dirt bagz - over the rear fender well storage

Things I wouldn't do again:
ACE rock sliders (great steps, but hang too low for rocks)
Rock hard skid plate- it works great, but scoops up tons of mud and the oil change access plate needs a hammer to go back in. I'd go EVO if I re-did it.
Quadratec LED headlights- better than stock, but I gave them to my dad and put in JW's for better light beam shape
Wasted money levelling the jeep instead of going right to a lift
Wasted money shortening the front bumper and doing an LED light bar instead of jumping on the poison spyder
Rockcrawler lift- I'd try an EVO. I ended up with 2.75" of lift, I'd like another inch (who wouldn't!)

Last edited:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
So before hitting a trail you would say ride as is? Or just pick a trail I won't get into anything over my head?

Yup. Depending on where you live you should be able to find some fellow jeepers and go on a trail run. Get a feel of what your JEEP will do right out of the box. Focus on learning things like how to shift into 4hi and lo (surprised how many people driving built jeeps don't know how to do this), picking lines, throttle control, safely recovering you or someone else etc etc. you'll learn tons and in the process figure out what you want your JEEP to be i.e. mild trails or serious rock crawler - and then build towards that.
And always come ask questions.

Chris1015

Yup. Depending on where you live you should be able to find some fellow jeepers and go on a trail run. Get a feel of what your JEEP will do right out of the box. Focus on learning things like how to shift into 4hi and lo (surprised how many people driving built jeeps don't know how to do this), picking lines, throttle control, safely recovering you or someone else etc etc. you'll learn tons and in the process figure out what you want your JEEP to be i.e. mild trails or serious rock crawler - and then build towards that.
Love it, man. Thank you

This is exactly where I was going. Even if you have off roaded before Jeeps are in their own world. Places you think you will need 4wd for sure the Jeep will just push through in 2wd

Randy Tadevich

Congrats on your purchase. The jeep world and the people on this forum are awesome. My thought is like others, wheel as much as you can with all types of experienced people. You learn a ton on every trail and group you go out with.
My opinion for wheels is this, if you can stick with the stock rims do so, until you figure out what size tire and type of wheeling you do. I bought rims not exactly knowing this so the wheels (not called rims) I have now are so beat up and scored I likely wont be able to sell them. Ultimately I should have waiting and got the bead lock rims. For me it was wasted money. However, I'm sure everyone has wasted money somewhere along the line. Its the nature of jeep beast. Enjoy your new toy. Oh, and when you start feeling like you have certain addictions related to the jeeping life style, your not alone my friend. As Eddie says, keep all 4 on the floor and the shinny side up.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermid

I'm also a super newbie; never touched working on a car before getting my jeep. I was so nervous when doing my suspension that I wasn't gonna be able to get it back together or I'd mess up my breaks some where. But I wanted to know how stuff worked just in case I was on the trail and something broke. I read a ton on the forums. They have a LOT of info here and I'm so glad I did it myself. The knowledge and experience was well worth it. I was still nervous so I took it to a local jeep-only shop and paid about $100 for them to check my work. Everything checked out! DIY it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Chris1015

I'm also a super newbie; never touched working on a car before getting my jeep. I was so nervous when doing my suspension that I wasn't gonna be able to get it back together or I'd mess up my breaks some where. But I wanted to know how stuff worked just in case I was on the trail and something broke. I read a ton on the forums. They have a LOT of info here and I'm so glad I did it myself. The knowledge and experience was well worth it. I was still nervous so I took it to a local jeep-only shop and paid about $100 for them to check my work. Everything checked out! DIY it! :)

Congratulations on that. That's a pretty bold move and I'm glad it worked out for you! The idea of working on this thing is quite intimidating. I'm gonna hopefully crawl before I walk and start off slow with that process.

Chris1015

Also, are jeep only places common?

daddyusmaximus

Find a local Jeep or 4x4 club. Many times there are one somewhere around the area. Off road people are normally pretty cool about helping others learn. Locals can do what we on the internet can't... they can come over and help you wrench on the weekend.

tippedover

If I can work on a jeep you can my friend, YouTube makes most jobs EZ! However that said when I did my lift I had to take it to northridge to get the angles right I couldnt figure it, but now I know. Think that goes with what everyone has said in that jeeps are ez to work on!

Chris1015

First of all, Extreme Terrain has been caught ripping off logos from the owner's of this forum, so I wouldn't buy there.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?16432-Extreme-Terrain-Illegally-Selling-Copyrighted-JK-Decals

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32388-Extreme-Terrain-Ripping-Off-WAYALIFE-Again!

As far as rim prices, lots of factors to consider. But I would shy away from 15" rims, you can run into clearance issues with the brake calipers on the Jeep. I myself wouldn't go less than 17. As far as price point, we just bought a set of 5 tires and wheels from Discount for about 2600.00. These were procomp 17s with 33" Duratrac tires. You could use your stock rims if you wanted to go 35s, but you would need 1.5" wheel spacers for clearance most likely.

View attachment 229284

On my WJ, I used JK wheels (from Craigslist) with 1.5 Spidertrax spacers. I also got new tires recently, Cooper STT pro 33s, and I think they were about 1700 total. Can't remember for sure.

View attachment 229285
Just seeing your post now. Wow, that is nuts. I'm definitely gonna remember this. Thanks a ton.

Electric8Willy

Always scout first and test the water. Turnaround research and come back another day. Always plan your destination. Going fishing-bring a fishin pole. Going camping, bring a sleeping bag. And its a good ideal to know where your going first.:eek:

Top Bottom