Survival Gear

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
In a dire emergency, just drink the water. ;)

If you drink standing water, the chances of you scooping up a parasite are pretty damn high. Picking up said parasite can cause vomiting/diarreah, leaving you in worse shape than before you started. Granted, if it is at the point of life and death, sure, drink it, since you have nothing to lose, but as a general rule when jeeping, try and purify it. I guess the advice is dependent on your definition of dire...if you are REALLY thirsty, it's a bad idea. If you are 30 minutes from certain death, you have nothing to lose, so drink up. In an emergency, drinking your own urine will buy you some time. I'd do that before drinking standing water.

UpsideUp

Survive

Just a reminder. Drinking unpurified standing water wont make you sick for 4-7 days. Hopefully in time to get you rescued and to a hospital for antibiotics that kill said parasites. Drinking your own urine will save your life hut should he past ditch. It is full of your body's waste that it no longer wants. As well as a high sodium content. This could be bad or good. The body looses valuable sodium during perspiration. But extra salt also absorbs water compounding dehydration. I would definately drink the standing water first. Make a solar still if you must or a water filter from your sock with leaves, rock, sand, and fire pit charcoal ilto purify the water but never forgo it in an emergancy. Remember the rule of 3's! 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. But you need shelter to be able to live without the water and similar with the food. Otherwise dehydration can kill you in a very short amount of time.

i was taught that u can drink your own urine twice before it is too toxic. now i would drink it once before i drank standing water
, twice i am not too sure about.

andrew-

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
i was taught that u can drink your own urine twice before it is too toxic. now i would drink it once before i drank standing water
, twice i am not too sure about.

andrew-

Fresh uring is sterile. Also, the first round (before you drank it again) still has water in it and will buy you some time. Again, it depends on the situation and where you are (Moab would be different than Colorado Mountains for instance)....knowledge is the most important thing...well...that and not panicking.

Mudigger70

In my jeep

1. Henry .17 in scabbard
2. Several different knives for different uses to cleaning animals to sharpening wood
3. 3 different fire starters bc fire is essential Water proof wind proof matches. Flint steel rod with striker and a magnesium black with striker
4. Garmin Rhino 530. Handheld gps with radio and weather radio with tons of other features that makes this piece of kit essential
5. Space blankets, para cord, water purification tablets.
6. For food MREs are great choice( not always taste) but u can throw them in and forget about them and great survival food.
7. Camelback
8. An axe
9. Flashlights and head lights. Batteries also
10. First aid kit.
All of this is in a survival pack in the jeep but there's a second break away pack inside the main one with the bare essentials just incase

jhires

For basic survival,
Water filter or purification tabs
Fire Starter kit (tender, matches, lighter, flint, etc...)
Sharp Pocket Knife
parachord.
S&W 1911 +ammo
flashlight

Everything else is just a luxury. Not saying that there isn't a lot more I carry if traveling remotely. But if I had to strip down to basics, I could make due with the above for quite a while.

Things I carry in my Jeep all the time are all of the above and below except the .45
first aid kit
machette
Gallon of water
Tools (light mechanical and light electrical, BFH, crowbar)
Tow strap
Ratchet tie downs
Toilette paper
Zip ties
Duc Tape
Bailing Wire
Hatchet
flashlights (3x + extra batteries)
Fire extinguisher
two camp chairs
Dog treats and bowl.
blankets
2 jackets, 2 hoodies, 2 ski hats (weather and temp drastically and unpredictably change quickly here)
Bug Spray
Bug wipes

Things I add when I hit the trail
Shovel
Axe
Bow saw
tent
sleeping bags and pads
camp stove and fuel
lantern
Food for duration of trip plus extra depending on remoteness for my wife, Emma our dog, and myself.
Snacks
clothes
S&W 1911 +ammo

I personally always carry extra ibuprofen as I get frequent headaches and refuse to let them stop me.
My wife has a few meds she needs so we pack extra of those.

However, the largest part of survival is education and keeping your head about you.
My wife and I grew up together in the same small town. Both of our fathers were outdoorsmen (hers a logger, mine a forester) who taught us how to get by, we also had two exceptional teachers in school where we were taught things such as signalling a plane, starting a fire, building a shelter, and would get docked points if the teacher did a pocket knife spot check and you did NOT have a knife on you (Thanks Mr McGee). We were required to take Mrs. Millers first aid course that not only focused on the basics like cpr, stopping bleeding, and making splints, but how to do it with limited material and in the outdoors. Our final exercise was in the snow on a ski hill in winter where we were forced to use what we had learned previously in Mr McGee's class. Out of everything we did not get from our public education, these classes were two of the most valuable I've ever taken and have served us well over the years.

I would recommend both a survival class and first aid class for anyone who has not had some sort of education in either.

Mudigger70

For basic survival,
Water filter or purification tabs
Fire Starter kit (tender, matches, lighter, flint, etc...)
Sharp Pocket Knife
parachord.
S&W 1911 +ammo
flashlight

Everything else is just a luxury. Not saying that there isn't a lot more I carry if traveling remotely. But if I had to strip down to basics, I could make due with the above for quite a while.

Things I carry in my Jeep all the time are all of the above and below except the .45
first aid kit
machette
Gallon of water
Tools (light mechanical and light electrical, BFH, crowbar)
Tow strap
Ratchet tie downs
Toilette paper
Zip ties
Duc Tape
Bailing Wire
Hatchet
flashlights (3x + extra batteries)
Fire extinguisher
two camp chairs
Dog treats and bowl.
blankets
2 jackets, 2 hoodies, 2 ski hats (weather and temp drastically and unpredictably change quickly here)
Bug Spray
Bug wipes

Things I add when I hit the trail
Shovel
Axe
Bow saw
tent
sleeping bags and pads
camp stove and fuel
lantern
Food for duration of trip plus extra depending on remoteness for my wife, Emma our dog, and myself.
Snacks
clothes
S&W 1911 +ammo

I personally always carry extra ibuprofen as I get frequent headaches and refuse to let them stop me.
My wife has a few meds she needs so we pack extra of those.

However, the largest part of survival is education and keeping your head about you.
My wife and I grew up together in the same small town. Both of our fathers were outdoorsmen (hers a logger, mine a forester) who taught us how to get by, we also had two exceptional teachers in school where we were taught things such as signalling a plane, starting a fire, building a shelter, and would get docked points if the teacher did a pocket knife spot check and you did NOT have a knife on you (Thanks Mr McGee). We were required to take Mrs. Millers first aid course that not only focused on the basics like cpr, stopping bleeding, and making splints, but how to do it with limited material and in the outdoors. Our final exercise was in the snow on a ski hill in winter where we were forced to use what we had learned previously in Mr McGee's class. Out of everything we did not get from our public education, these classes were two of the most valuable I've ever taken and have served us well over the years.

I would recommend both a survival class and first aid class for anyone who has not had some sort of education in either.

I agree. Haha u named alot of stuff I have in my jeep I just forgot. But your absolutely right the best tool in any survival situation is knowledge and not to panic. Panic leads to rash decisions and rash decisions lead to injury or death.

Top Bottom