Suspension parts

USMC Wrangler

What kind of welder should be used? I've got a buddy who's pretty good at welding hopefully he can help me but I doubt he's ever done it before I don't really know where else I would go to get them on because our custom truck place here is way overpriced and not that good

I'm getting ready to do my own. I'll be using my Lincoln 210 but will also be running some test beads to dial in the machine on similarly thick scrap metal. I'm no master welder, but setup is important.

JakeJK

I have a Lincoln SP130 (MIG) and it's about all it can do... I would think any 180A-ish MIG would be okay. IMO the person holding he gun is usually the issue. TIG is better at controlling heat, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be on the cast knuckle.

I'm beginning to realize how valuable welding is haha

JakeJK

I'm getting ready to do my own. I'll be using my Lincoln 210 but will also be running some test beads to dial in the machine on similarly thick scrap metal. I'm no master welder, but setup is important.

Maybe I should invest in a welder if I plan to do a lot of mods haha

metalic

You should:thumb: So glad I started. It makes some many ideas and projects become possible.

It also gets other people wanting you to build there stuff. I built my bumper and then when I built a friends bumper now I have three or four people in the club wanting me to build them one

USMC Wrangler

I recently took a class and built my own project with my own design. Not only is it great to know how to weld, but it is nice to do something different from my day to day job. It's not always easy but I do love it as a hobby. I also live 120 miles one way from the nearest repair shop, so it's almost a necessity for me...at least that's what I told my wife! :D

JakeJK

It also gets other people wanting you to build there stuff. I built my bumper and then when I built a friends bumper now I have three or four people in the club wanting me to build them one

Sounds like a good way to pay for your welder :D

If you are making parts for fun or to be different it's fine, but don't kid yourself if you think it will become profitable. I am very capable of fabricating and welding things and have many of the tools to do it... This said, I am often not able to buy the material for what I can buy a complete purchased part for.

I priced the DOM to build my own cage and SAVED $200 in material alone by buying a complete and fabbed Rockhard and adding some other parts (that I purchased). Same for my bumper. I priced the plate and material and SAVED $150 by just buying a Poison Spyder Brawler light.

Don't get me wrong, it can turn into a profitable thing, but you would need to be doing some pretty decent volume in order to do so.

metalic

If you are making parts for fun or to be different it's fine, but don't kid yourself if you think it will become profitable. I am very capable of fabricating and welding things and have many of the tools to do it... This said, I am often not able to buy the material for what I can buy a complete purchased part for.

I priced the DOM to build my own cage and SAVED $200 in material alone by buying a complete and fabbed Rockhard and adding some other parts (that I purchased). Same for my bumper. I priced the plate and material and SAVED $150 by just buying a Poison Spyder Brawler light.

Don't get me wrong, it can turn into a profitable thing, but you would need to be doing some pretty decent volume in order to do so.

I have around 150 bucks in building a stubby winch bumper. I have 12 - 15 hours in building one. If I charge for my time they could buy one from anyone.

ITLL GO

This!!👆👆 welding is super fun.. Leave it at that! Lol

JakeJK

Jesus thats expensive I guess they're able to sell the bumper for so cheap is because of buying in bulk and mass producing them

Jesus thats expensive I guess they're able to sell the bumper for so cheap is because of buying in bulk and mass producing them

Exactly, Buying metal in bulk drastically reduces the cost. They also have the manufacturing broken down into bulk phases where they limit retool time and have Jigs to assist in set-up. For example, one welder may spend all day welding one D-Ring mount on 100 bumpers, then the next day he may do the other... and so on until it is done.

JakeJK

Exactly, Buying metal in bulk drastically reduces the cost. They also have the manufacturing broken down into bulk phases where they limit retool time and have Jigs to assist in set-up. For example, one welder may spend all day welding one D-Ring mount on 100 bumpers, then the next day he may do the other... and so on until it is done.

Yeah there's a lot of industrial systems engineering in those facilities

Top Bottom