SUSPENSION Questions?

Ddays

Hooked
I just got the RK 3.5 Mid arm xfactor kit. Have not driven it yet but getting close. Probably be beginning of next week. I can get back then and tell you how it compared to a RE 3.5" kit.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I know we're talking suspension, but if your ride is very harsh, check the PSI in your tires...your larger tires should be at a lower PSI than your stocks....overinflating will lead to a harsh ride.

flectarn

I have ran the 3.5" Rock Krawler springs on my previous jeep and found them to be too stiff. I had them paired with a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Did you have your Jeep all armored up? I know the RK coils are intended to be utilized with armor.

Also, did you have the triple rate coils?

I just got the RK 3.5 Mid arm xfactor kit. Have not driven it yet but getting close. Probably be beginning of next week. I can get back then and tell you how it compared to a RE 3.5" kit.

I'd like to hear it of course! Whenever you get some trail time I'd like to hear about that too!

I know we're talking suspension, but if your ride is very harsh, check the PSI in your tires...your larger tires should be at a lower PSI than your stocks....overinflating will lead to a harsh ride.

I guess I never really put thought to it but something to keep in mind! I think that my tires are for max 50 psi I have them about 40 last time I aired up from a trail

Benito

Caught the Bug
Okay! I looked into the EVO plush those don't seem to bad they won't break the bank either which is always nice! Have you ever rode with EVO coils with fox shocks? Or would you have any recommendations on shocks? Also with running 315 12.5 17 and a 3 inch lift should I run longer control arms? New sway bars etc?

I have been running 3" evo plush ride coils and fox 2.0 performance shocks since Labor Day and I can say the ride is very nice. I can say I saw an improvement over stock. I have noticed a little more sway in turns and such but it doesn't seem dangerous, one of my coworkers that drive the same route as me after work says the sway is drastic, I can barely feel the difference. I will also agree that the psi you run will be a big factor in the ride quality I air up my tires (37" Nitto TG's)to 35psi for long trips and the ride gets rougher. In summary the plush rides and the fox shocks are an improvement over stock, however you are still not going to feel like you are driving a Cadillac.

Edit: as far as ride height is concerned, I am still sitting at 4.25" of lift in the front over stock according to the diagram that floats around here with the stock measurements. I do not have any aftermarket weight in the front and I do have negative rake with the 37 and ATX slab combo hanging off the rear. I am expecting the front to droop hopefully or put some rear spacers to cure the negative rake

Last edited:
I have been running 3" evo plush ride coils and fox 2.0 performance shocks since Labor Day and I can say the ride is very nice. I can say I saw an improvement over stock. I have noticed a little more sway in turns and such but it doesn't seem dangerous, one of my coworkers that drive the same route as me after work says the sway is drastic, I can barely feel the difference. I will also agree that the psi you run will be a big factor in the ride quality I air up my tires (37" Nitto TG's)to 35psi for long trips and the ride gets rougher. In summary the plush rides and the fox shocks are an improvement over stock, however you are still not going to feel like you are driving a Cadillac.

Edit: as far as ride height is concerned, I am still sitting at 4.25" of lift in the front over stock according to the diagram that floats around here with the stock measurements. I do not have any aftermarket weight in the front and I do have negative rake with the 37 and ATX slab combo hanging off the rear. I am expecting the front to droop hopefully or put some rear spacers to cure the negative rake

That's the main combo I've been looking at which is the EVO plush with fox 2.0 so Thankyou for the advice there! How do you like your 37s? I was thinking about going that direction but I only have a sport so I'm sure I'd had to upgrade axle housings axles drive shafts etc

Benito

Caught the Bug
That's the main combo I've been looking at which is the EVO plush with fox 2.0 so Thankyou for the advice there! How do you like your 37s? I was thinking about going that direction but I only have a sport so I'm sure I'd had to upgrade axle housings axles drive shafts etc

I love my 37's, they are badass! However I do feel a front axle upgrade in the future coming all I have done to my Rubi 44 is the c gussets, I heard/saw a stock axle shaft snap and what the driver was doing didn't seem like much abuse. I ran the 37's on stock suspension for 2 or 3 months and was able to clear up all the clearance issues you run into moving up to this size, like pinch seems, fenders, and bumpers; so once I put my lift on I already had all the clearance issues solved.

I love my 37's, they are badass! However I do feel a front axle upgrade in the future coming all I have done to my Rubi 44 is the c gussets, I heard/saw a stock axle shaft snap and what the driver was doing didn't seem like much abuse. I ran the 37's on stock suspension for 2 or 3 months and was able to clear up all the clearance issues you run into moving up to this size, like pinch seems, fenders, and bumpers; so once I put my lift on I already had all the clearance issues solved.

Really smart way to get ahead of the problems! What are you wanting to upgrade too? Like pro rock etc

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I guess I never really put thought to it but something to keep in mind! I think that my tires are for max 50 psi I have them about 40 last time I aired up from a trail

Thats WAAAAAY too high. You should be around 28psi for normal driving. Thats probably why your ride is so stiff.

Ddays

Hooked

NFR is right - 40psi?! Holy smokes, that thing probably rattles your teeth! I learned this lesson as well - I was running 35 psi - and it rattled my teeth! I dropped all the way to 26psi (running ProComp MTR's) What a difference that made. Was like being in different Jeep! Try dropping a couple psi at a time until you hit your particular sweet spot. You will probably be surprised at the results.

holy_crap

Has anyone had experience with rock krawlers 3.5 inch coil springs?

I have the RK 3.5" coils with Fox IFP 2.0 Shocks and I really like the ride, a bit softer than stock, a little sway on corners but I got used to it. I'm also running 37" tires but have them aired down to 25 psi for on road use, even at this pressure the outer 1/4" of the tire edges don't touch pavement. For reference, with my ARB stubby bumper and a SuperWinch 11500 with synthetic line, my net gain in the front was 3.75" after it settled down.

My previous JKU I ran the Teraflex 2.5" coils with the Fox IFP 2.0 Shocks as well and the ride was definitely stiffer than stock, no sway at corners at all. At first I thought they sent me the wrong rear coils because when I put them side by side to the stock they were close to the same height, the gain comes from the stiffer coil compressing less. That Jeep had 35" tires and I ran them around 30 psi.

I agree with Eddie, change your tire pressure, 40 psi is too much and your tire will wear in the middle fast, not to mention you will feel like you are driving on stone tires. Use a chalk line to get the appropriate psi for your tires so that they get as much contact with the road as possible, your Jeep will ride much better as a result too.

NFR is right - 40psi?! Holy smokes, that thing probably rattles your teeth! I learned this lesson as well - I was running 35 psi - and it rattled my teeth! I dropped all the way to 26psi (running ProComp MTR's) What a difference that made. Was like being in different Jeep! Try dropping a couple psi at a time until you hit your particular sweet spot. You will probably be surprised at the results.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to try doing that and see what I like and what works for me!

I have the RK 3.5" coils with Fox IFP 2.0 Shocks and I really like the ride, a bit softer than stock, a little sway on corners but I got used to it. I'm also running 37" tires but have them aired down to 25 psi for on road use, even at this pressure the outer 1/4" of the tire edges don't touch pavement. For reference, with my ARB stubby bumper and a SuperWinch 11500 with synthetic line, my net gain in the front was 3.75" after it settled down.

My previous JKU I ran the Teraflex 2.5" coils with the Fox IFP 2.0 Shocks as well and the ride was definitely stiffer than stock, no sway at corners at all. At first I thought they sent me the wrong rear coils because when I put them side by side to the stock they were close to the same height, the gain comes from the stiffer coil compressing less. That Jeep had 35" tires and I ran them around 30 psi.

I agree with Eddie, change your tire pressure, 40 psi is too much and your tire will wear in the middle fast, not to mention you will feel like you are driving on stone tires. Use a chalk line to get the appropriate psi for your tires so that they get as much contact with the road as possible, your Jeep will ride much better as a result too.

That's the exact set up I've been looking at so thanks for the advice! I will try and lower the air pressure and see what is comfortable to me and what works!

Whats everyone's opinion on struts? Like for example ORI struts? What's needed to run them and are they worth it any better options out there?

Benito

Caught the Bug
Really smart way to get ahead of the problems! What are you wanting to upgrade too? Like pro rock etc

I think everyone would say they want a pro rock, lol, and that is the direction I would like to go. I didn't really think the whole 37's through when I bought them. I read somewhere that you could run 35's on stock, then I thought "how much more would it take to run 37s?". A lot more work is the answer! I ended up nearly trashing one of the tires in the first 400mi that I had them. I had planned on running bump stop extensions in the rear but hadn't received them when I was driving 50mph to some caliche pits with some friends and hit a nice big dip in the road and put a pretty big slice right through 60% of the tread on the rear tire. Then I proceeded to go through the caliche pits with hill climbs and and ruts and cut up that tire even more. Not the best of ideas! So it wasn't out of smarts that I cleared everything up it was the fact that I didn't want to trash 2 grand in tires anymore than I already had.

I think everyone would say they want a pro rock, lol, and that is the direction I would like to go. I didn't really think the whole 37's through when I bought them. I read somewhere that you could run 35's on stock, then I thought "how much more would it take to run 37s?". A lot more work is the answer! I ended up nearly trashing one of the tires in the first 400mi that I had them. I had planned on running bump stop extensions in the rear but hadn't received them when I was driving 50mph to some caliche pits with some friends and hit a nice big dip in the road and put a pretty big slice right through 60% of the tread on the rear tire. Then I proceeded to go through the caliche pits with hill climbs and and ruts and cut up that tire even more. Not the best of ideas! So it wasn't out of smarts that I cleared everything up it was the fact that I didn't want to trash 2 grand in tires anymore than I already had.

Damn I couldn't even imagine since tires are super damn expensive sometimes! But I think I want to stick with 35s and then save up for everything to go to 37s! Seems to be the better way of doing things! Also want to make sure my jeep is paid off too hahaha

Top Bottom