Sway bar angle and ride quality?

StrizzyChris

Respectfully, I don't know it all. It is obvious to me however that there is some inaccuracy in some of the responses.

To be fair, your firs post sounded like a newb all the way down to asking if control arm bolts needed torqued when on the ground vs. on jack stands?! For that reason all responses (including my own) were very basic to lifts, suspension and steering geometry. I even stated that if you are wanting to get technical, you would need a 100% custom suspension system all the way down to coil rates to return your Jeep to a stock feel.

If you want this conversation to be quick and easy, here's your answer.... FIX YOUR SWAY BAR LENGTH WHEN YOU LIFT A VEHICLE!!!!

If the sway bar is too tight which can be altered by the arm angle it will in fact cause very minimal suspension movement on uneven surfaces and corners.

Sounds like you know all that you need to know...why are you asking us anything and then fighting our responses?!

Instead I get people saying that sway bars don't do anything to the ride and admin attacks. I thought this would be a respectable place, but instead it's full of sensitive administrators and moderators that think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

All those people attacking you by spending their time trying to help you and give you advise....you poor poor man....how will you ever survive the attacks?!?!

I used to have respect for WAYALIFE. This has made me feel different.

I've been away from WAL for a freaking month moving and working on my house and its sad to see that people are still a bunch of cry babies when everyone doesn't kiss their ass and say they are right. I blame Obama!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I just wanted to clear up that I am not talking about changing the sway bar itself. I am talking about the angle at which it sits because of short links. The angle of sway bar typically has an affect on how it performs because the leverage is different at more severe angles. I know things about suspension I am just curious what people have experienced with there jeeps and ride quality (mainly how the rear acts during turning and over uneven roads). Regardless of solid axle or not a sway bar does in fact add stiffness to opposing sides. A sway bar essentially uses spring rate from which ever side is unloaded/ less loaded to increase the spring rate on loaded side resulting in reduced body roll. I will be ordering longer links and follow up on ride quality after I install. I do agree that the springs themselves are rather harsh likely because I do not have the extra weight of aftermarket bumpers yet. What are people experiencing with fox performance 2.0 shocks? It's a rainy day here but I will post a pick of rear sway bar angle soon. What are some differences you guys have noticed from stock suspension to lifted as far as handling goes? Thank you for the responses.

You sound like a real dumbass, you should stop while your ahead .

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the link, I've already been reading it, and learnt a lot along the way.

Aligning has been one of those things that I've never been confident enough to do myself. I've never had anyone run through it with me, so have just avoided it. I will run through it now guided by your thread instructions, try and work out just what sort of setting my Jeep is at now.

My last 4by (Nissan Patrol) never needed an alignment in the 15 years I owned it, and to need two alignments on my Jeep in relatively quick succession at $85.00 a pop, was beginning to worry me, thinking there is something I'm missing to cause it to go out of alignment.

Thanks again Eddie. I'll buy you a beer one day, or maybe shout you an American Honey.

since it seems to happen each time you go wheeling, you might also check the tie rod clamp a little closer. As mentioned, if it moves or is bent it will knock your alignment out and since it's always so minimal - I'm guessing the clamp may be slipping. There's a seam on the tie rod where the open part of the clamp should align to, if it's not aligned it will slip the threads and allow the tie rod to move especially with the forces when wheeling and knock your alignment out.

There were some photos in another post that showed the seam but I couldn't locate it, but it should be visible. If the clamp is not on the seam just loosen it, adjust and tighten.

Actually I was thinking drag link, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check... you shouldn't have to align after each trip.

Last edited:

Wizard

since it seems to happen each time you go wheeling, you might also check the tie rod clamp a little closer. As mentioned, if it moves or is bent it will knock your alignment out and since it's always so minimal - I'm guessing the clamp may be slipping. There's a seam on the tie rod where the open part of the clamp should align to, if it's not aligned it will slip the threads and allow the tie rod to move especially with the forces when wheeling and knock your alignment out.

There were some photos in another post that showed the seam but I couldn't locate it, but it should be visible. If the clamp is not on the seam just loosen it, adjust and tighten.

Actually I was thinking drag link, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check... you shouldn't have to align after each trip.

Thanks for the tip.

I've just been out and checked the position of the clamp, and all looks good. I'll keep an eye on it in future.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This reply is truly a testament that you are hearing what you want to hear and replying spitefully. I never claimed that I knew everything that's just you hearing what you want to. That's pretty hypocritical. I understand suspension as in what each component does and what can cause changes. I just want to know on a jeep how much of certain things matter or are noticeable. Never claimed I was a Jeep suspension wizard that's why I am here with questions. I definitely said that my jeep acts weird on corners and uneven roads yet you say this "But, unless you are driving over an uneven surface or cornering, the only thing your sway bar will do is move up and down with your axle". Are you actually reading my questions or just giving me shit? If the sway bar is too tight which can be altered by the arm angle it will in fact cause very minimal suspension movement on uneven surfaces and corners. Now since I know the sway bar is small in the back I simply wanted to know to what degree sway bar angle matters on these JKs. Instead I get people saying that sway bars don't do anything to the ride and admin attacks. Thanks but I will be moving on. I thought this would be a respectable place, but instead it's full of sensitive administrators and moderators that think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I used to have respect for WAYALIFE. This has made me feel different.

Lol sensitive? Me? :cheesy:

You're the pussy who is getting butthurt.

Top Bottom