Synthetic or Regular oil

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I'm surprised by all running Mobil1. I think it is an excellent oil, but I just can't get past the fact that it does not comply (hasn't been certified) with the Chrysler MS-6395. I'd hate to fight that battle if I ever had an engine warranty issue.

For that reason alone, I'm running Penzoil Platinum 5w20. Seems the oil minder gets me about 6500-8000mi per change.

gte338m

Thanks for the info. I have always changed my oil at 3k miles only b/c of that ford ranger I got as my first vehicle in 1986 would drink it. But when I bought the Jeep I decided to use synthetic but b/c I have trained myself to change it every 3k miles, its hard to break the habit.

So, I will fight the urge to change it and let it go to at least 5k miles. After some of the comments about what the manual says, I thought I would paste the maintenance schedule from the owner's manual. The thing that caught my attention is the use of E85 fuel.

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change
indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled
maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will
illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures,
and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required”
message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil
message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your
vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles, “Oil Change
Required” will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that
an oil change is necessary.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “Change Oil” will flash in the instrument cluster
odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the
scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than
your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described
under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Oil Change Required” in “Understanding
Your Instrument Panel” or under “Instrument Cluster Description/Odometer/
Trip Odometer” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.
NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km)
or twelve months, whichever comes first.

SnailTrail

My dealer recommends every 3k miles. I get it done every 5. I negotiated free oil changes when I purchased the vehicle so it works out for me to use them. I had a bad experience with subaru over oil so I will use the dealership for my oil changes. That way the blame is nowhere on me.

AJK

I use Amsoil synthetic every 20k or one year. One year ends up being 14k to 15k for me.

ITLL GO

My dealer recommends every 3k miles. I get it done every 5. I negotiated free oil changes when I purchased the vehicle so it works out for me to use them. I had a bad experience with subaru over oil so I will use the dealership for my oil changes. That way the blame is nowhere on me.

Same, most dealerships will offer free oil changes for the original owner for life. That's what I did with my 2015jkur after the warranty I'll go ahead and change it myself. Just add it to the fleet haha

JudeinPa

I have been using synthetic oil since 1977 and haven't used regular oil except for a new vehicle break-in. Synthetic oil was formulated to not break down as with conventional oils. With that said you also have to consider filtration. Any oil no matter if it is synthetic or not will still damage an engine if it has dirt particles suspended in it. Driving conditions usually dictate when you should change your synthetic oil and along with changing your filter you can still run longer than a normal oil change interval. Example if you are doing a lot of off road driving you could change your filter every 3,000 miles and add the make-up oil and run on the same oil and the oil is still serviceable.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately my JK is my DD and I am a commuter so I decided this Jeep would start out with synthetic since I put a lot of miles on him. I don't do oil changes every 3K as that is too soon. Even the dealership doesn't put the mileage 3K miles til the next change. I go 6K between changes. I think I will start waiting a bit longer like 8k.

If this wasn't my daily driver, I would have done dino and then switched to synth at 100K like I did the last Jeep.

Christarp

My 2007 burns about a quart of oil every 800 miles. I've ran 5w-20, and also 5w-30, both full synthetic and it's just not worth it for me since there's no way the oil can even last the higher rated mileage that full synthetics do last. I'm switching to some cheap stuff soon because of it.

thardy

Banned
My 2007 burns about a quart of oil every 800 miles. I've ran 5w-20, and also 5w-30, both full synthetic and it's just not worth it for me since there's no way the oil can even last the higher rated mileage that full synthetics do last. I'm switching to some cheap stuff soon because of it.

May be I just don't have much knowledge on the 3.8, but a quart every 800 miles seems like an awful lot. Have you looked into why it's burning that much oil or is that normal on a 3.8?

Top Bottom