Taking my JT to Rubicon July 4th weekend, All my friends have Wranglers and refer to my rig as the School Bus

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Any advice or mandatory gear for a JT on the Rubicon Trail? I'm on 4.5 EVO Enforcer + lift, 38x13.5x15 NITTO TG, 5.13 gears, stock axles. EVO Rocksliders. Genright skid armor underneath, Super Pacific canopy camper on bed. Lots of recovery gear. This will be my first Rubicon Trail trip in a JT. I have done the trail before in my previous rig, a JK. My friends all say they are looking forward to watching me struggle.

You should bring a recovery sail. When the frame of your Gladiator is so severely wedged in the rocks that no amount of tugging will dislodge it, get your sail ready for the breeze and cast it at just the right moment to be lifted effortlessly from the rocks. The sail can also be used as an awning, if so desired.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Not long ago, I ran Kane Creek with @unicornsandrainbows and her husband. They were in their Gladiator. I drove my 2 door JK Rubicon. There were places the Gladiator struggled where my JK made it through with no problem and shined where my JK struggled. The same thing happened running my 2 door on the same trails my brother in his JLU Rubicon.

Overall, I was impressed with the capability of the Gladiator. Just play to your rig's strengths and learn its limitations. With 38s and 5.13s I bet your Gladiator will do better than anyone expects.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
July 4th?…snow shovel…
We're just going to the camp. My friend is a caretaker of Rubicon Springs and he needs to setup some things. I doubt we will attempt to continue through to Tahoe, but you never know.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
You should bring a recovery sail. When the frame of your Gladiator is so severely wedged in the rocks that no amount of tugging will dislodge it, get your sail ready for the breeze and cast it at just the right moment to be lifted effortlessly from the rocks. The sail can also be used as an awning, if so desired.
but can my awning be used as a sail?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Not long ago, I ran Kane Creek with @unicornsandrainbows and her husband. They were in their Gladiator. I drove my 2 door JK Rubicon. There were places the Gladiator struggled where my JK made it through with no problem and shined where my JK struggled. The same thing happened running my 2 door on the same trails my brother in his JLU Rubicon.

Overall, I was impressed with the capability of the Gladiator. Just play to your rig's strengths and learn its limitations. With 38s and 5.13s I bet your Gladiator will do better than anyone expects.
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping it will go well. I'm focused on putting armor on the bottom this week.

waynem

You'll be fine... did the Rubicon last year in my JT and I've "only" got a 3.5" lift and 37s ... But you'll get use the mating call of the wild gladiator ... scrape, scrape, smash .... Definitely a long beast which makes some of the obstacles more fun but its nowhere near as big as problem as up in the the PNW where its all narrow trails with big ass trees just waiting to take out your tail lights.

(edit) .. And take a spare set of rear sway bar links .. those suckers are just waiting for you to come off a rock the wrong way.

167E3BCD-6363-497D-A66D-7CC7961A4E0C.jpg

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
You'll be fine... did the Rubicon last year in my JT and I've "only" got a 3.5" lift and 37s ... But you'll get use the mating call of the wild gladiator ... scrape, scrape, smash .... Definitely a long beast which makes some of the obstacles more fun but its nowhere near as big as problem as up in the the PNW where its all narrow trails with big ass trees just waiting to take out your tail lights.

(edit) .. And take a spare set of rear sway bar links .. those suckers are just waiting for you to come off a rock the wrong way.

View attachment 391262
I've replaced the stock sway bars with Anti-Rock gear.

3VOLVE

Caught the Bug
I’ve tackled a bunch of blacks at Rausch Creek that folks “wanted to watch” and then were amazed the JT does so well. I was able to take lines that they struggled with. You’ll do great, especially since you know the trail.

Top Bottom