Templar's Build

Templar

Well this is my 3rd Jeep. All three I bought new and built up myself with the exception of the long arm kit install on my 01 TJ. I have pics of my previous jeeps in my introduction thread here: "A Wave from Scottsdale Arizona"

I ordered my 15 JKUR in Firecracker Red from a dealer out of Houston, and picked her up on 12/13/14.
- Rubicon Package 24R
- Connectivity Group
- Max Tow Package
- Automatic Transmission
- Auto Temp Air Conditioning
- Heated Front Seats
- Color matched Hard Top
- Remote Start

A little over a month later, on 1/26/15 I started ordering parts, and as of day I started this thread, 8/11/15, I have purchased / I am hoarding the following goodies (for the most part, listed in order of purchase):
- Mopar Front, Rear, Cargo Tray Rubber Slush Mats (Installed)
- Mopar Black Fuel Filler door (Installed)
- Plasti Dip front grill black (Completed)
- Antenna X 13" Off-Road Antenna (Installed)
- Truck-Lite 7" LED w/ Anti flicker (Installed)
- Superchips TrailDash (SOLD 7/27/15 - tired of waiting for update to make compatible for 2015 JK's)
- AEV JK ProCal (Replaced the TrailDash with this)
- EVO MFG JK Enforcer Pro Stage 1 (Installed)
-- EVO MFG Front LCG Bolt On Coilover kit (Installed)
-- EVO MFG Rear LCG Bolt On Coilover kit (Installed)
-- EVO MFG Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms (Installed)
-- EVO MFG Draglink Flip Kit (Installed)
- Coast 1310 Front Drive Shaft (Scheduled when I do gears, for first week in September 2015)
- (5) Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 37X12.50R17 (Installed)
- (5) ATX Beadlock Slabs (Installed)
- EVO MFG C2 Axle Gussets (Installed)
- EVO MFG Rock Skins (Color Match Painted & Installed)
- EVO MFG Rock Sliders (Powder Coated & Installed)
- EVO MFG 1/4 Pounder Front Bumper (Powder Coated & Installed)
- EVO MFG Stinger (Powder Coated & Installed)
- EVO MFG Pro Series Rear Bumper (Powder Coated & Installed)
- MCE High Clearance Gen III Carbon Fiber Fenders (Color Match Painted & Installed)
- ABC Fire Extinguisher (Installed)
- BC Fire Extinguisher (Installed)

I plan on the following in the near future:
- Re-Gear 4.88 or 5.13 (Installed)
- Cage (undecided)
- Tire Carrier Stock with resting plate
- Electrical Switch system (undecided)
- Winch & Onboard Air: Warn Powerplant 9.5 or ARB Twin + ? Went with the PowerPlant
- Synthetic Line Warn Spydura (Installed)
- Aux Lighting (undecided)

So its pretty obvious I really like EVO products & ORE and it has been a dream for quite some time to actually own a rig I think is worthy of sporting a "Off Road EVOLUTION" side hood decal. So when I feel my rig is worthy, I will be ordering a pair of those :clap2:

Really there were a lot of builds that I enjoy following that influenced & inspired this Jeep build for me in one way or another, these are the top ones:
- EVOlander Build
- Trail JK’s pretty Penny Copperhead build
- RubiCAT Gettin EVO'd UP!!
- The Evolution of ENVY Build
- My billet rubi build
- Cozdude's build thread
- TankJK: My Billet Rubi Build

Here is a pic just after I got her home from TX:

20141220_144131.jpg

And here is a pic of the mod storage section of my garage:

Garage2.jpg

Last edited:

Templar

Current status:

Waiting on delivery
- EVO MFG Stinger (Being drop shipped from EVO MFG)
- EVO MFG C2 Axle Gussets (Being drop shipped from EVO MFG)
- EVO MFG Rock Skins (Shipped from Northridge 4x4)

Some stuff currently being powder coated
- Coilover springs (red)
- Front and rear bumpers (black)
- sliders (black)

Dropping off at the painters tomorrow
- SLAB Rings (Red)
- MCE Fenders (Red)
- Hopefully the Rock Skins (Red) if they get here in time (UPS Screwed up the shipment today).

Also, I'm pretty sure after my last delivery (Rear Bumper, Sliders, Front Bumper) that Brown Santa hates my guts. :sigh:

Templar

Well things are finally starting to happen. I came home Wednesday night to this sitting at the front door. The EVO MFG Rock Skins finally arrived.

20150812_202500.jpg

Thursday night, after the kids went to bed, my buddy came over and gave me a hand installing them. 38 New holes drilled in the Jeep, 38 nutserts installed without issue, and the skins are off to painters tomorrow.

The install was pretty straight forward except for the size hole being drilled. The instructions called for a 3/8" Bit, but I could not get the nutserts provided in that size hole. We wound up first drilling 19/64 holes while the rock skin was clamped in position, and then widening those to 25/64 which worked perfect.

20150813_205141.jpg

Thank god for the Astro 1442, this thing makes nutserts a breeze...

20150813_235652.jpg

Looking great!!!! Almost the exact items on order for my rig right now too. One question though, why 1310 driveline up front? It comes with a 1330.....

I went with a 1310 on my last build. I never had a problem but always felt like I was exposed.

Templar

Looking great!!!! Almost the exact items on order for my rig right now too. One question though, why 1310 driveline up front? It comes with a 1330.....

I went with a 1310 on my last build. I never had a problem but always felt like I was exposed.

Thanks AspenKid, I am subscribed to your build thread & you are getting a lot more goodies than I am :) Congrats on your new JK and I am looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Do you mean why did I go with a 1310 vs a 1350? I had several reasons why I went with the 1310 (right or wrong). First because I am not upgrading anything else in the drivetrain for quite a while, I wanted that weak point to be my 1310 vs grenading something else more expensive. I plan on carrying some spare u-joints just in case. The smaller diameter 1310 should be better at clearing skid plates as well. And last but not least, it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper :)

-Mark

Templar

I put the springs back on the Coilovers tonight, I think I like the finished product but will have to see what it looks like on the Jeep.

20150814_213431.jpg

Going to attempt the suspension install first thing tomorrow. If everything goes well she should look drastically different soon.

-Mark

Thanks AspenKid, I am subscribed to your build thread & you are getting a lot more goodies than I am :) Congrats on your new JK and I am looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Do you mean why did I go with a 1310 vs a 1350? I had several reasons why I went with the 1310 (right or wrong). First because I am not upgrading anything else in the drivetrain for quite a while, I wanted that weak point to be my 1310 vs grenading something else more expensive. I plan on carrying some spare u-joints just in case. The smaller diameter 1310 should be better at clearing skid plates as well. And last but not least, it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper :)

-Mark

Sounds good to me! I hear you on the U joint Vs internals on the axle!! I also have a concern on the clearance on the skids/ exhaust issues too. I guess I will figure that out when the CO's arrive. Excited to see your come together!!

Templar

Lift, wheels, tires on.

A big shout out and huge THANK YOU to utiadam for all the help with the big install this weekend. We wound up doing my jeep, and my best friends jeep (same lift) at the same time. It was brutal, and there is no way I could have completed this without his help.

Here is what what she looks like now, lots to do still but the major hurdle of the lift is done. Also just a few pictures of the install. I hope to get a more organized set of pictures up sometime later.

20150816_075938.jpg

Just a couple pics of the install.

20150815_105038.jpg

both jeeps.jpg

Templar

So I have been really bad about updating the thread, just been working my butt off on the Jeep with every spare moment I have had - 60 hours a week work and then The nights I do get to work on the Jeep I quit about 1AM. Once I get the last few items done I hope to re-work the thread a little to show what I did in chronological order. Anyway here is my latest update.

EVO MFG JK Enforcer Pro Stage 1: The lift has been on almost two weeks now and I love the ride. It is a little squeaky right now, and I am going to see if that continues and if so how bad it is, may have to go with AGM 2.0 King Slider Assemblies but I am really not sure & I really don't want to spend $400+ because of a little noise. If anyone else is running the same lift and has any suggestions / experience I would love to hear what you have to say.

AEV ProCal: I got a bad unit. I tried to change tire size to 36 and turn off TPMS and it beeped twice like it took, but TPMS Warning lights were still on, and at 65 my speedo was off about 9 MPH. It turns out AEV had a few ProCals that were programmed incorrectly and I got one of them. I provided my CC number to expedite the exchange process and they shipped a new on out. I received it Tuesday and it works fine. I just need to send back my defective unit and get credited / refunded. Just a FYI for anyone that may have the same issue, I tried contacting AEV by phone & email without a response for days. When I filled out the form on their "Contact Us" page I got a immediate / same day response. So if you need to get ahold of them, that is the way to do it. I had this unit on my 08 and I am glad I went with this vs the SuperChips. It makes changes A LOT faster, and it's super easy to use.

EVO MFG Rock Skins: Color match painted and installed. I wanted them color matched because I wanted to see the black Slider better. Will see how that turns out later today as the Jeep is currently at a local shop getting the sliders welded on right now.

EVO MFG Rock Sliders: Powder coated and getting welded on today. Decided to get them powder coated because I suck at painting anything, and I talked to the powder coater about how to touch them up and based on what he told me I should be fine when they get banged up (I hope).

EVO MFG 1/4 Pounder Front Bumper: Powder Coated, hope to install it Friday night or sometime this weekend. Been looking over the StrizzyChris "EVO 1/4 Pounder install and Swaybar Relocation" thread and I'm not sure if I should flip the swaybar motor forward or backward. I am also thinking of shrink wrapping the motor to keep water and mud out of it.

EVO MFG Stinger: At the Powder Coaters since last week. Hope it's done today or tomorrow so I can get it installed when I do the 1/4 Pounder....

EVO MFG Pro Series Rear Bumper: Powder Coated and Installed it Tuesday night. Pretty straight forward & easy install and I am very happy with it. Had to grind down a couple clips to fit them in the frame.

MCE High Clearance Gen III Carbon Fiber Fenders: I had these color matched red by a buddy who owns a body shop. They need to be buffed out as there are a couple small runs but he wanted them mounted first. I installed the Rears Tuesday night, and the Fronts last night. The install was not too bad. The fronts were WAY easier than the rears were.

I was too tired to take pics of the front fenders last night, but have some of the rear bumper on. I'm going to give her a much needed bath after I pick her up from the shop today and then hopefully take some pictures.

The short list of to do items after today should be:
- Suggested Weld Items for the lift kit (both trackbar brackets)
- 1/4 pounder and stinger install.
- Regear to 4.88's
- Install 1310 Drive Shaft
- Spare onto stock tire carrier with way to take load off (What Mel did with Evolander)
- TPMS Sensors
- Paint the SLAB Rings (Black or Red?)
- Dial in lift, alignment, correct caster.

Between a busy work schedule, and working on the Jeep every spare moment, I am tired. Really looking forward to getting these last few items knocked out and then taking her out on the trail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom