Tent recomendations?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I still have not bought a tent, and my Pastor is always bragging about his hammock tent. I told him fuck that it's like you're a shish kabob waiting for that passing bear.

doojer

^The Gunnison looks better to me. That Trail Ridge looks too tall which = colder, less wind resistant and more likely to cave in rain or snow (of course, if you're camping in the snow you're fucking crazy.... but still.... :D:D).

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
^The Gunnison looks better to me. That Trail Ridge looks too tall which = colder, less wind resistant and more likely to cave in rain or snow (of course, if you're camping in the snow you're fucking crazy.... but still.... :D:D).

Being on texas, and majority of use being in the Texas Hill Country, we don't *NORMALLY* have to deal with things like high wind, or cold, or rain... and if it's cold enough to snow, everything shuts down anyway, and I mean everything.

A very good point that was brought up is texas wild life. Venomous snakes, and spiders, scorpions, etc... these are what we need protection against. And if it happens to rain, I would like to not be wet. :yep:

I liked the trail ridge because it is taller, and I'm a pretty tall guy standing 6'2" but I also like the gunnison because it's a little longer, and I'm a pretty long guy laying 6'2"... :lmao:

Jackal01

Even though we don't get inclement weather that "often" I would still say a 3 season at the least and for sure one that is not as tall as the Trail Ridge. I was actually talking to my wife about this thread last night and was telling her how it seems about half the time we/I (back in Boy Scouts) go camping the forecast is great but then a steady breeze/wind moves in or a quick downpour. A tall tent will make one of those conditions miserable. I like low profile and that is what I suggest. Mine tents have fitted ground cloths, rain flys that cover the entire tent, vestibules, and lips at the doors to keep dirt and critters out. All features you should look for. The only thing I can't tell if it has is a ground cover. If not, REI has pre-cut for most common sizes. Add that to the Gunnison and you would be set.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Even though we don't get inclement weather that "often" I would still say a 3 season at the least and for sure one that is not as tall as the Trail Ridge. I was actually talking to my wife about this thread last night and was telling her how it seems about half the time we/I (back in Boy Scouts) go camping the forecast is great but then a steady breeze/wind moves in or a quick downpour. A tall tent will make one of those conditions miserable. I like low profile and that is what I suggest. Mine tents have fitted ground cloths, rain flys that cover the entire tent, vestibules, and lips at the doors to keep dirt and critters out. All features you should look for. The only thing I can't tell if it has is a ground cover. If not, REI has pre-cut for most common sizes. Add that to the Gunnison and you would be set.

Good points. And this very much describes texas weather. The gunnison is also longer, and as I will be sleeping in the tent, not standing/sitting, it may be the better option. Again I'm 6'2", my lady is 5'4" and my pup is 80 lbs. Will 3 person be to small for a queen bed, the dog, and gear? Or should we look into a 4 person? The worst part of all this is rei doesn't have any in store, so we can't go see them in person. Just lay out a tape measure on the floor in the livingroom and guess it's "bout diz big" haha

doojer

Being on texas, and majority of use being in the Texas Hill Country, we don't *NORMALLY* have to deal with things like high wind, or cold, or rain...
Yeah... I would say the same thing about where I live in SoCal (it's 75 today :) ). But I don't always camp in my backyard so I try to be ready for all sorts of scenarios.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yeah... I would say the same thing about where I live in SoCal (it's 75 today :) ). But I don't always camp in my backyard so I try to be ready for all sorts of scenarios.

Lol it was 80 on sunday, and 35 yesterday... perfect example

Jackal01

Good points. And this very much describes texas weather. The gunnison is also longer, and as I will be sleeping in the tent, not standing/sitting, it may be the better option. Again I'm 6'2", my lady is 5'4" and my pup is 80 lbs. Will 3 person be to small for a queen bed, the dog, and gear? Or should we look into a 4 person? The worst part of all this is rei doesn't have any in store, so we can't go see them in person. Just lay out a tape measure on the floor in the livingroom and guess it's "bout diz big" haha

Lol "bout diz big".

The gunnison, to me, looks like it is on the small end of a 4 person. without knowing dimensions and actual fit of everything it is tough to say how crowded it would be. I forgot you'll have a queen mattress. If it did fit, it would take up the entire floor and everything would be on the matrress. Just a tough call. I'd go slightly bigger footprint wise but not a whole lot taller if you can find one.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Lol "bout diz big".

The gunnison, to me, looks like it is on the small end of a 4 person. without knowing dimensions and actual fit of everything it is tough to say how crowded it would be. I forgot you'll have a queen mattress. If it did fit, it would take up the entire floor and everything would be on the matrress. Just a tough call. I'd go slightly bigger footprint wise but not a whole lot taller if you can find one.

We're not Stuck on the mattess, we just already have it and at this point, we don't want to spend a small fortune all at once.

stweasel

There are plenty of tents that will hold your mattress, but you will have issues with ease of use the larger you go. Setting up a large tent in a 10 mph breeze is like a sail. It will also take up more space in what will already be a cramped jeep. REI is a great place to look as they set up two tents for me to demonstrate. Make sure to look at the rain-fly and that it doesn't make much contact with the tent or you will have leaking issues. Your Queen mattress will be 60x80 so you need to use that as your starting point for size.

Last edited:

Trail JK

Judging by the poles, it comes as flat-packed disc that you throw up in the air and it springs open. Pretty cool, until you try to figure out the proper sequence to fold the poles back up the right way. At that point, you look like a monkey fucking a football.

http://youtu.be/7sML4krJ8kM

Lol!! This is hysterical! We just picked one up and the above couldn't be more true. So funny!

Rccrwlr

Lol!! This is hysterical! We just picked one up and the above couldn't be more true. So funny!

There is actually a picture on here of Lee trying to fold one of these back up on the Rubicon last year. The end result after the laughter subsided was he no longer has it and it's prob at the dump!

Top Bottom