The build of Big Red (Knuckles)

You already answered all the questions so far: Looks like everything you chose you had seen in action and saw working like a boss. Solid choices. I saw some Trail Grapplers in person recently so I know the Mudders will be bad ass :rock:

Yea both the trail and mud grapplers are bad ass. I never saw the mud graps in person but from Eddie and Cindy's videos I knew they were awesome. Plus everyone seemed to run the trails and I wanted to be a little different so the muds it was! Couldn't be happier with them. Can't wait to see how they do in the snow

Sent from my iPhone

Yea both the trail and mud grapplers are bad ass. I never saw the mud graps in person but from Eddie and Cindy's videos I knew they were awesome. Plus everyone seemed to run the trails and I wanted to be a little different so the muds it was! Couldn't be happier with them. Can't wait to see how they do in the snow

Sent from my iPhone

I've heard not very good. They don't give enough friction in the tread. Since they clean themselves out easily, that cuts down on their grip. That's why snow tires are styled the way they are, to keep the snow in the tread

I've heard not very good. They don't give enough friction in the tread. Since they clean themselves out easily, that cuts down on their grip. That's why snow tires are styled the way they are, to keep the snow in the tread

Wouldn't caking the tread with snow cause the tires to act like a set of slicks?

Ice is where the sipping comes into it own.....
As fas as deep snow some of the best deep snow tires I had were a set of Super Swampers...and there wasn't a sipe on them SOBs........ in the ice they sucked ;)

But that being said , we have some incredibly wet and heavy snow around here compared to a lot of other places that get that light and fluffy stuff.

Last edited:

I thought that cleaning themselves out would help with the traction cause it's more to grab onto not hurt it?

Sent from my iPhone

Alan are you smoking something. :)

Tom now Free

Hahaha!

I think It really just come down to driving slow and not like an ass. In my old Geo Prizm I had I had regular AT tires on it. During the blizzard of 09' where we got these two huge snows back to back I was able to drive in the snow ten times better than big trucks with huge tires and even ones with snow tires mainly because I drove slow and took my time. I even did better than my dads AWD SUV he had. Just comes down to the driver in the long run.

I'm sure the mud grapplers will be amazing of we get a tons of snow this year just because of them being able to dig and grab onto whatever the huge lugs can

Sent from my iPhone

Hahaha!

I think It really just come down to driving slow and not like an ass. In my old Geo Prizm I had I had regular AT tires on it. During the blizzard of 09' where we got these two huge snows back to back I was able to drive in the snow ten times better than big trucks with huge tires and even ones with snow tires mainly because I drove slow and took my time. I even did better than my dads AWD SUV he had. Just comes down to the driver in the long run.

I'm sure the mud grapplers will be amazing of we get a tons of snow this year just because of them being able to dig and grab onto whatever the huge lugs can

Sent from my iPhone

We won't be getting snow here in md this winter. I am lreparing for it and every time i do that we just grt cold weather :naw:

Winters here suck

Sent from my phone?

Correct on the deep snow. But if you look at snow tires for cars, there aren't huge lugs in then. On packed snow covered roads that's what you want. And Tom I might be, but maybe the tire shop that told me that a few years go is. When I wanted to get snow tires for my truck, I was looking at mud tires and that was the explanation they gave me:crazyeyes:

I posted this elsewhere:

Its def the driver like was said earlier. I had BFG MT before on my RWD Dakota and It performed so well. Much better than my firestone all seasons. Took that 5spd Dakota places no RWD pick up had any business being. Betweem the MTs and the 5spd I'm fairly confident that was the major factor. My driving and the control over the aggressive equipment.

My 08 RHD JK had the regular stock wranglers for a winter and they did well enough... but the Duratracs I switched to bit into snow hard and kept me on point more often. I know the Nitto Mudders would be fantastic in the snow and just ok on the ice but frankly if you drive like a moron than snow tires won't do jack for you on ice even with the beloved ESP and ABS the Feds make us have... :banghead:

Siping and snow specific tread can only assist good driving habits :thumbup:
Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

Correct on the deep snow. But if you look at snow tires for cars, there aren't huge lugs in then. On packed snow covered roads that's what you want. And Tom I might be, but maybe the tire shop that told me that a few years go is. When I wanted to get snow tires for my truck, I was looking at mud tires and that was the explanation they gave me:crazyeyes:

Not to hijack your thread steve buuut. I'd like to learn more on this maybe a new thread. I don't think a winter tire need huge nobbies but it only makes sense to me that you want them to clean themselves the best possible. But I'm not a tire guy thus is just what makes sense to me. :confused:
Edit: which is why I think you have a tapered tread
Tom now Free

Not to hijack your thread steve buuut. I'd like to learn more on this maybe a new thread. I don't think a winter tire need huge nobbies but it only makes sense to me that you want them to clean themselves the best possible. But I'm not a tire guy thus is just what makes sense to me. :confused:

Tom now Free

lol dont worry about hyjacking its all good! feel free to stay here and discuss

deff curious on this one, had blizzak snows on my m3 and it was a tank in the snow and went everywhere, even when we had like 18" of snow I somehow made it home from a friends even on roads that were not plowed the best and had a lot of snow left on them.

Your build thread js going to end up like MTG's, a bunch of goofing off and random fun :yup:

Sent from my phone?

well my jeeps name is Knuckles (Knuckles2 as MTG calls it :cheesy:) as well so it only makes sense that my thread would take a left turn at a few points along the way lol

Back on topic... coz do you run gussets? What gears? :)

Back on topic... coz do you run gussets? What gears? :)

I run the EVO C Gussets and I'm still running the stock gears 3.73. With the 3.8 with the stock gears and the 35's it is tolerable. It doesn't bother me to much. I will regear most likely in the spring time and maybe add an air locker to the rear since I have open diffs

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom