The never-ending 'wave' discussion thread

My kids have asked if we should be waving at Jeeps driving by as we're walking down the sidewalk.
They're taking the Jeep wave very seriously.

I know what you mean

I feel the same way. I work in West L.A. and live in the SGV.. I see the occasional lifted or modified jeep and break out the Jeep Wave. Seems like 2 in 10 wave back. I was behind one in the morning on the way to work and pulled up along side to give the http://wayalife.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif ....nothing..

It's not all bad, got a wave from a stock rubi 10a or rock hard edition with 4 huge lights on a giant roof rack, surprised me..

I've noticed the lack of ways here in the LA area as well. But I will admit I don't wave at guys with "for show" rigs. You know...the ones with 20" wheels on 35's or larger and their rig has never seen dirt.

My kids have asked if we should be waving at Jeeps driving by as we're walking down the sidewalk.
They're taking the Jeep wave very seriously.

I get waves from families walking on the sidewalk I figure they are a Jeep family! I get waves from people not in Jeeps I figure their offer vehicle is z Jeep - I've bee. Guilty of BOTH!

As A first time owner, noticed when I passed by a jeep they waved and of course out of habit I wave back. I have since learned that this is a Jeep thing and I think it makes owning a Jeep that much more enjoyable. Me and my son now make a game out of it by guessing when we see a Jeep coming If they will return the wave or not, ether way it just adds more enjoyment to riding in my Jeep:wings:

i always have to remind myself when rolling in the Caravan... it's like second nature now

but it too pisses me off when your driving the jeep and they don't wave back - i'm like "bitch I know you seen me"... ;) i seem to pass some of the same non wavers everyday, perhaps today i will try a "jazz-hand" type wave...

i always have to remind myself when rolling in the Caravan... it's like second nature now

but it too pisses me off when your driving the jeep and they don't wave back - i'm like "bitch I know you seen me"... ;) i seem to pass some of the same non wavers everyday, perhaps today i will try a "jazz-hand" type wave...

Soccer moms have ruined the wave. My new policy is that a jeep must have offroad accessories to warrant a wave. I threw out like 50 waves last weekend. The only replies came from the offroaders.

Soccer moms have ruined the wave. My new policy is that a jeep must have offroad accessories to warrant a wave. I threw out like 50 waves last weekend. The only replies came from the offroaders.

This has kind of been my policy as well, there are so many out there that have no clue, so if I see a modified Jeep I always wave and also if just anybody in a Jeep waves at me then I will certainly wave back no matter what it is.

This has kind of been my policy as well, there are so many out there that have no clue, so if I see a modified Jeep I always wave and also if just anybody in a Jeep waves at me then I will certainly wave back no matter what it is.

Same here, I'm not modified yet, but I wave at them all, but most don't wave back around here.

I found this statement somewhere...

Warning:

Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Awkward Jeep Wave?

I __________________ UNDERSTAND THAT OWNING A JEEP IS A WAY OF LIFE, THEREBY I ENGAGE MYSELF TO WAVE BACK TO FELLOW JEEPERS AND TEACH OTHERS TO FOLLOW THAT RULE. IF NOT, IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET SINGLE DIGIT WAVE INSTEAD OF A FIVE STAR.

HAHAHA. That's awesome. This could do be made into a t-shirt or a sticker.

I was trying to research the history of the wave. A video made a good point. Two types of people don't wave, those that never intended to use their jeep for anything other than a normal day to day driver and those that believe only modified jeeps merit the wave. I can see the first one, but the second one is bull. Every jeep started stock.

Last edited:
No one cares really if you take your jeep off road or not. If you put coil covers on or shocks or stay stock. The idea is to wave, plain and simple. I wave at you and you wave at me and vice versa. I could care less if you crawl the fountain at Macy's or enter KOH, if I wave, WAVE BACK! It is called common courtesy.

andrew -

Amen to this.

On that note, I wave to every single Jeep. I rarely ever get waves back from JK's (especially JKU's) but hands down get awesome waves from those in the previous generations. Or usually if I forget, I receive more waves from CJ's, TJ's, and YJ's than JK's. But in the end to me a wave's a wave and it makes me enjoy my ride even more when I see it being extended out the window or inside the ride.

To the video that was posted...i would def. throw up the thumbs down for that Pimp My Ride.

I pass the same jeeps everyday on my way too and from work, there is one jeep that will NOT wave! I will continue to wave at him twice a day everyday until he gets it!

Awkward Jeep Wave?

I have never had a wave from a stock Sahara. Ever. If you are spending that kind if $$ for what is in the cabin instead of what is under it maybe you just don't get what owning a Jeep is about. Present company excluded.
Stock sport two doors (rarely 4) and stock Rubi's two or four will occasionally wave.
Like many of you I only initiate a wave at modified Jeeps now, but wave back to anyone who waves.

Last edited:
I drive a 2015 stock sport, I will always wave to any fellow Jeeper. Although this is not my first Jeep. I have heard that as etiquette the younger Jeep is supposed to wave first. I see a guy in a nice cj5 every morning and he will not wave yet. He will. There are a lot of people that I have no idea why they bought a Jeep. I parked next to a Sahara at Walmart and the lady said she wish her Husband would let her put the top down. Really. I told her I would show her how but she didn't want to create a problem.

LunaSea will always wave at any Jeep Stock, Rubi, Sahara nodded or not.

I rarely get the jeep wave back. About 80% of the jeeps where I live are drove by soccer moms. I still wave tho. At least I'm doing my part. I even have the wave decal. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433550594.036875.jpg

Yup, it may be one sided but no one can ever say they didnt get a wave from my Willy...

As odd as that sounds... ;)

Top Bottom