The night disaster struck

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
You gonna sell the coilovers and long arm?

LOL, I am still not sure if you are serious or not. There is no way anything from the front half is salvageable. It was all melted. I couldn't tell last night if anything from the back end was still useful at all. Once I get a look at it in the yard in daylight I'll be able to see a lot more.

It is really hard to describe just how fast and how intense this fire got. Once it hit the magnesium in the dashboard it went nuts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL, I am still not sure if you are serious or not. There is no way anything from the front half is salvageable. It was all melted. I couldn't tell last night if anything from the back end was still useful at all. Once I get a look at it in the yard in daylight I'll be able to see a lot more.

It is really hard to describe just how fast and how intense this fire got. Once it hit the magnesium in the dashboard it went nuts.

Mostly serious, yes.

jeepgreenjon

In the Eight years I worked as a mechanic I saw 3 (unmodified) Land rovers, a Jaguar and a Ford F150 ( owned by my brother) burn to the ground. I have learned that if you have little ones (strapped in car seats) it is always a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher to help slow the fire while getting your loved ones out! All three Land Rovers, the Jaguar and the F150 burned due to poor lack of Judgement by the manufacturers while placing electrical. No vehicle is 100% safe from something like that happening. Land Rover and Jaguars poor quality and engineering could have a thread of its own so I wont go there right now. Glad to see you got out safe, I hope you decide to stick with Jeep in the future!

BrowniesJK

So glad you and the wife made it out safe. I can understand the fear but once a Jeeper always a Jeeper. This wasn't a problem in modding as posted above.

Veetz

Yo so glad no one got hurt.....that's some serious stuff to check into...and love chryslers memorandom

If you don't have a CB yell from your Jeep

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Thanks everyone for all of the support. As you can imagine, last night was a rough time and we didn't get much sleep. Hard to get rid of those images.

This is the last picture we took. We will certainly miss him.

IMGP1247.jpg

ssgp2

That no one got injured is what's important.

Having read similar incident occurring after off roading, I think it would be fairly easy to install a tubing system under the hood connected to a fire extinguisher in the cab.

JKRandall

Just finished reading your post and glad everyone got out before the fire got out of control. Hang in there and hope as time moves on, things get better for ya.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Big fucking problem

Ok, now I am FUCKING PISSED. This coming from someone who considers himself Mopar family. My grandfather (retired) worked at Auburn Hills for 39 years. I have very fond memories of going to the CTC for family open house days when I was young. Those open houses were so amazing and the people seem to be so happy and dedicated to their work.

I have been searching transmission overheating fires and there are hundreds of horror stories of the exact same experience. Nothing unusual, all of a sudden front end is engulfed in flames in less than a minute. From what I have seen on the internet, by some good grace it does not seem like there have been any fatalities. I do not know how there is not a class action lawsuit at this point. I typically am not one for big government intervention but this seems ridiculous.

It does not seem to be limited to years or models in particular. I have seen reports of transmission fires from 08's to 2012's. I can tell you for certain at this point, until Jeep can show me physical changes in design to prevent this from occurring, my family will not be patronizing the Jeep brand one bit.

Family takes care of Family. Fucking step up Jeep and take care of all of your loyal family.

Brankz

I'm glad you and your wife are ok but this makes me think, I have a 2 door and sometimes I have friends and family in the back, so if a fire starts there is no way that they can get out fast .
Like my lil bro brother he rides in a carseat.

Brankz

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Glad to hear everyone is safe bro! Keep your head up and everything will turn out alright

Sent from my iPhone

bl17z90

HOLY CRAP!! Glad to hear noone was hurt. I'm very sorry this happened to you but I wouldn't blame modified vehicles as this is a freak accident.

This makes me reconsider the need for a fire extinguisher or maybe 2 on my roll bar..

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
This makes me reconsider the need for a fire extinguisher or maybe 2 on my roll bar..

You bet it does. EVERYONE should carry at least one fire extinguisher. EVERYONE. PERIOD. It saved my Jeep from burning to the ground.
My wife has had to call "FIRE" on the CB three times now while wheeling. Keep a F'n fire extinguisher handy in your Jeep. :thankyou:

Top Bottom