The Rebuild of Colojk

COLOJK

Since the Jeep is about to undergo some big changes, I thought I might as well document the upcoming mods. A little background, I purchased this 2009 JKU sahara during the summer of 2014 from someone in my neighborhood. When I brought it home it had approximately 25,000 miles on it, as it was the previous owner's 3rd or 4th vehicle.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467066650.964440.jpg
This is a week or so after I brought it home and was very excited to get out on the trails with it. The previous owner had installed a 4" Rancho lift with rs5000 shocks along with XD series 18" wheels and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Also, he replaced the stock rear bumper with a Bestop High Rock full width bumper and tire carrier to take the weight off of the tailgate.

I soon began adding some smaller things like seat covers, grab handles, a tray for the dash and some Wayalife swag. Eventually I decided to pull the trigger on an Evo 1/4 pounder with stinger and soon after purchased Trucklite headlights due to the loss of the stock fog lights really showing how poor the headlights were. I also needed to address some bump steer that I was having and had Trail Jeeps install the Synergy high steer kit. more on this issue later.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467067172.395100.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467067186.457150.jpg
Next up on my list was getting rid of the plastic sahara steps that the Jeep came with. I decided on the JCR classic sliders and I am very happy with the look.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467067496.704833.jpg
The most recent mod came in March when I decided to fill the empty space on the 1/4 pounder. I decided on a Warn m8000 as I was able to take advantage of the rebate that they had going on.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467067551.086725.jpg
As of right now this is how the Jeep sits.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467067623.153977.jpg
My new additions will be discussed next.

COLOJK

Even though the high steer kit did make a noticeable difference, The Jeep still was just not comfortable to ride in and or drive. I still had bump steer when hitting bumps in the road and it just really felt unsafe to drive. A few weeks ago I took the Jeep back to Trail Jeeps for an inspection in order to decide what else was wrong and to decide on a direction to go in order to fix it.

After the inspection, It was decided that four main things were contributing to the poor ride and handling.

1) The ball joints were as Tim put it, "toast".
2) Both tie rod ends were shot
3) the track bar was flexing and or bent
4) one of my sway bar links had somehow come loose and had ruined the mount (this explains the banging noise on every bump)

To top it all off, the Rancho shocks were all pretty much worn out.

After talking with Tim and Wes about my options, Here is the list that we decided on.

3.5" Jspec suspension system with fox shocks

Dynatrac ball joints

Synergy chromoly tie rod

JKS sector shaft brace kit

Evo C2 gussets (unfortunately still have a D30)

And I am adding the JKS front lower adjustable control arms

My Jeep is getting dropped off tomorrow for all of the work to get done and I cannot wait to get it back and get out on the trails with it!

Ginz

Sweet! Hate when the kids are at the doctor's office. But sometimes it's gotta be done! Sub'd!

COLOJK

Sweet! Hate when the kids are at the doctor's office. But sometimes it's gotta be done! Sub'd!

Yes but it will be well worth it. Trail jeeps thought they would have it back to me tomorrow. First class shop!

Top Bottom