Thinking about a cooler, need some info

el_chupo_

Got the cooler in the other day, wanted to update in case anyone else is looking in the future.

Cooler will hold 18 .5l bottles of water, could fit 36 cans, but not room left for ice in that case, as double stacked cans come up to the top of the cooler.

C6AF77D4-D927-4A53-B1B3-B1B08023E8EA_zps8kcgqlve.jpg

This will give room for a bit of ice between the bottles (not a tight fit in either direction, but about 2-2.5" of ice on top :
B149C2FE-BF3E-405A-A60C-D216AD59CFC8_zps3r4ybcad.jpg

Here you can see it in the back of the Jeep.

D648681A-AA14-4AFF-9A76-3A5259CA5899_zpspx0ayxvu.jpg
To better understand the fit:
*Tuffy locking security cubby
*no carpet in the back floor of the Jeep
*does have the reversible rubber/carpet floor mat
* other items you see are 1/2" thick foam floor pads (interlocking for garage/utility flooring, used to cover the gap when seats are down for the dogs).

Note that the cooler would not fit on top of all that stuff and both pads, only one.

It is pushed in to give clearance for the door, and fit is pretty tight against the bottom of the deck. In short, it fits just about perfectly in that spot.
61C3B539-39D3-4EAA-9460-D92326FB9AC5_zps1ch7hl1m.jpg

If anyone needs any other info on this just let me know. Again, thanks to all that provided help or suggestions!

el_chupo_

Hey Chipper, edited a couple posts in the thread to hopefully make things more clear for anyone looking.

I ordered the Siberian Coolers 30 quart, in Granite color:

http://siberiancoolers.com/shop-coolers/siberian-30-white

The discount code I used is from a bass fishing site: #barners
Yes, include the hash tag.

A couple things I like about it over a couple of the 20q models that I was considering, is of course the size, but also that it can accept wire baskets to hold stuff above the ice, and it is slotted for a divider. One is not offered from the company for it, but I will probably buy a HDPE cutting board and make one, should come in pretty inexpensive.

Brute

Hooked
I am a big fan of ARB fridges and forget about the ice...that said, I also have a Yeti Hopper 30 soft side...mostly for fish. It will hold 20 lbs of ice for 4 days, and will not leak, even if turned upside down Yeti Hopper 30.jpg

Yes, they are freakin expensive...but I also use it as carry-on luggage wherever I travel...good to have a decent cooler on trips

el_chupo_

I couldnt bring myself to buy the Hopper - in practical use it works well, I just HATE trying to get into it when I only have one hand free, or in a tight spot. That opening is great for keeping the cold in, but just too difficult for regular use.

I love the idea of it, and when RTIC announced theirs with similar size and a more reasonable opening method, I pre-ordered. I am really hoping the materials are the same or very similar to the Yeti, I love everything else about it...

Should get it in a month or two, and am still looking for a smaller version for solo use.

Brute

Hooked
It was the zipper that sold me on the Yeti...nothing worse than having fish water spilled inside your rig...hope the RTIC works out for you...

geberhard

Douchebag
Anyone has any familiarity with RTIC coolers? Seem like a Yeti knock off at more reasonable prices?

rtic-cooler-heros.png

el_chupo_

It was the zipper that sold me on the Yeti...nothing worse than having fish water spilled inside your rig...hope the RTIC works out for you...

Im down with the zipper, not the opening... But if I were keeping fish in it, I might have different considerations. Im a catch and release fly fisherman myself, so my need to keep fish in the jeep is non-existent.

With that said, at the end of the day they are both made in China, with good insulation, and hopefully waterproof zippers!

Anyone has any familiarity with RTIC coolers? Seem like a Yeti knock off at more reasonable prices?

No personal experience, but almost every brand I looked at (at least a dozen) all had strong supporters, and people who thought there were better options. If I needed one, I would consider RTIC unless I needed it in less than 2-3 months. They get decent reviews from those that have them. But I would also be considering the bigger Siberians (which I got) Bison (local to me, warehouse is only a couple miles from work), K2 (blems on their site are available as well), Pelican, Yeti, etc - heck even the Walmart Ozark Trail that was recently released.

At the end of the day I dont need a 10 day cooler, I need a solid cooler that wont break in 12-18 months, and will easily last weekend with moderate use. But that was just my thought process for my needs.

geberhard

Douchebag
el chupo, awesome info thanks! I have been debating a fridge (ARB like), but honestly a 3-4 day cooler would be perfect :)

crowrb29

Got the cooler in the other day, wanted to update in case anyone else is looking in the future.

Cooler will hold 18 .5l bottles of water, could fit 36 cans, but not room left for ice in that case, as double stacked cans come up to the top of the cooler.

View attachment 195869

This will give room for a bit of ice between the bottles (not a tight fit in either direction, but about 2-2.5" of ice on top :
View attachment 195870

Here you can see it in the back of the Jeep.

View attachment 195871
To better understand the fit:
*Tuffy locking security cubby
*no carpet in the back floor of the Jeep
*does have the reversible rubber/carpet floor mat
* other items you see are 1/2" thick foam floor pads (interlocking for garage/utility flooring, used to cover the gap when seats are down for the dogs).

Note that the cooler would not fit on top of all that stuff and both pads, only one.

It is pushed in to give clearance for the door, and fit is pretty tight against the bottom of the deck. In short, it fits just about perfectly in that spot.
View attachment 195872

If anyone needs any other info on this just let me know. Again, thanks to all that provided help or suggestions!

Have you been out with this cooler at all? Any long term impressions?

geberhard

Douchebag
Received my RTIC cooler last week. We ordered the 65 QT and it is BIG, but will beat having 2 separate coolers nd end up saving space. Overall impression so far:

1- Cooler is extremely well made. I compared to my buddy's Yeti and they are similar in some aspects, however the 65 qt holds real 65 qts. Hi Yeti held about 57 qts (we did a dump test form mine to his).

2- Warranty of the RTIC is 7 years, vs YETI of 5 years (not a huge deal, but with some companis offering lifetime now, wodnering why the shotert warranty)

3- Price - It is hard to beat the RTIC price in my case, $200 vs double for the same size YETI

4- weight - the RTIC is about 5 pounds heavier (well it actaully holds 65 qts), VS the YET. The RTIC is a bit bigger dimension wise as well.

5- ice retention. I am doing a test and will report back. Plan is to do a ice retention test on partial shade (simulate camping in my case), with opening it about 4-5 times a day, will report back.

Overall aside form the sucky long wait to get the 65qt (about a month) I like it so far.

Little ones also "recycled" the box :)

13238980_10154215217248011_2298479418347681054_n.jpg

el_chupo_

Have you been out with this cooler at all? Any long term impressions?

Nope, couple reasons. First, its been a surprisingly mild spring in TX, not much need. Second, wife is dealing with some pretty serious medical stuff, so time away is close to non-existent right now. Only thing I have done where a cooler was remotely needed was a 7a-4pm day, but it only got up to about 75, and I only took 6 bottles of water, so a smaller soft cooler got the nod (and I dont know if the cooler could fit in the vehicle with the other stuff i was carrying that day).

Wish I had more, but that will come when the wife is better and we can go places again. There is a review of their bigger (84qt I think) cooler on youtube, a 5 day test, that might help.

Received my RTIC cooler last week. We ordered the 65 QT and it is BIG, but will beat having 2 separate coolers nd end up saving space. Overall impression so far:

1- Cooler is extremely well made. I compared to my buddy's Yeti and they are similar in some aspects, however the 65 qt holds real 65 qts. Hi Yeti held about 57 qts (we did a dump test form mine to his).

2- Warranty of the RTIC is 7 years, vs YETI of 5 years (not a huge deal, but with some companis offering lifetime now, wodnering why the shotert warranty)

3- Price - It is hard to beat the RTIC price in my case, $200 vs double for the same size YETI

4- weight - the RTIC is about 5 pounds heavier (well it actaully holds 65 qts), VS the YET. The RTIC is a bit bigger dimension wise as well.

5- ice retention. I am doing a test and will report back. Plan is to do a ice retention test on partial shade (simulate camping in my case), with opening it about 4-5 times a day, will report back.

Overall aside form the sucky long wait to get the 65qt (about a month) I like it so far.

Little ones also "recycled" the box :)

13238980_10154215217248011_2298479418347681054_n.jpg

Looks awesome - Im still debating, as I would not be surprised if prices go up with all the advertising they are doing. Im waiting on the soft side to show up to make a call on that one.

That, and the 65qt is not really any smaller than the 100qt igloo Maxcold I have, so I need to be sure I will use it before spending a couple hundred bucks on something we use twice a year, when the one in the garage has proven sufficient (2-3 days of ice with moderate use) for a few years...

16.750 inches H x 35.250 inches W x 17.380 inches L

vs

17.125 H, 32.5 W, 18.5 deep.

geberhard

Douchebag
I hear ya, one of the reocmmendations I have is to check the actual cooler capacity, I think 4 wheeler did a good comapro recently between several brands (RTIC was just too new in teh market at the time of release and not reviewed). I like that some cooler have a lifetime warranty, however there are some catches on what is covered.

The Pelican seems like a great option as well. In my opinion the Yeti is a great cooler, but way overpriced (you get close to ARB fridge territory), and get less than advertised capacity with a 5 year warranty.

chipper

Nope, couple reasons. First, its been a surprisingly mild spring in TX, not much need. Second, wife is dealing with some pretty serious medical stuff, so time away is close to non-existent right now. Only thing I have done where a cooler was remotely needed was a 7a-4pm day, but it only got up to about 75, and I only took 6 bottles of water, so a smaller soft cooler got the nod (and I dont know if the cooler could fit in the vehicle with the other stuff i was carrying that day).

Anything yet on the Siberian?
I'm running into the same problem you had. I have the Aries security deck. I have a max 15.5" H and 27"L
My research has lead me to:
Siberian 40
Grizzly G40
Engel 35
Yeti Tundra 45

The Yeti and Engel are not actually 45 and 35 quarts though. They are smaller. So they are kinda out.
Grizzly and Siberian are in the lead. All reviews say the Siberian is very good.
So... What say you?

chipper

Orca coolers are great! Made in America also! Sizes are true sizes

Yes. They did great on the ice challenge. But in order for it to fit under the Aries deck I'd have to get the 20. The 40 measures 17" tall. I don't want to spend $300 on that small of a cooler

el_chupo_

No long term use review from me - Dealing with some more serious/long lasting issues than expected with the wife, so I dont really see it getting much use any time soon. Wish I could offer more help, but thats about all I got.

If long term ice is a requirement, I can put 20lbs in the cooler and set it outside to see how long it lasts for you.

Also, I would consider buying a storage tote that was similar dimensions, especially height, and double-check. My actual height was a bit lower than I thought when I first measured in one spot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-gal-Tote-2020-0108/202523597

That should be pretty close to the coolers you are looking at, and its a cheap way to verify fit before dropping a couple hundred bucks to find out you are off by 1/4"...

chipper

No long term use review from me - Dealing with some more serious/long lasting issues than expected with the wife, so I dont really see it getting much use any time soon. Wish I could offer more help, but thats about all I got.

If long term ice is a requirement, I can put 20lbs in the cooler and set it outside to see how long it lasts for you.

Also, I would consider buying a storage tote that was similar dimensions, especially height, and double-check. My actual height was a bit lower than I thought when I first measured in one spot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-gal-Tote-2020-0108/202523597

That should be pretty close to the coolers you are looking at, and its a cheap way to verify fit before dropping a couple hundred bucks to find out you are off by 1/4"...

Well first off. I'm sorry to hear that your wife is ill. I hope things get better soon
I've watched a few ice test challenge on YouTube and the Siberian was on there. It lasted 4.5 days in 90* Fl heat. I'll take a look at the totes. Thanks

Top Bottom