Thought on turbos?

J

JKDream

Take a look at my build thread and that can tell you. Mine is into a TJ but it's the same idea. For the most part an LS v8 around 350 horse is not too much for the transfer case and differentials if you have the Rubicon I.e. Dana 44's. Transmission will take more research depending on your hp/ torque mods. Pcm reflush and wire splicing.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's quite a bit different, a TJ is significantly easier to drop a motor in and get it working.

So since this thread has now moved to engine swaps... would anyone advise against the 5.3 or is it a good option still?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Matter of opinion. I'd say no. Why put a motor in your vehicle that makes the same horsepower as the stock one?
Seems pointless.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
It's quite a bit different, a TJ is significantly easier to drop a motor in and get it working.

Matter of opinion. I'd say no. Why put a motor in your vehicle that makes the same horsepower as the stock one?
Seems pointless.
I guess I forgot that JK's have a lit more electrical nightmares to get past for a proper swap. I also agree that swapping in a 5.3 is not smart for a Jk because the 3.6 makes close to 290 horsepower anyways. However something like a 6.0 or even a 5.7 with bolt on mods can push the motor past 400 and is literally the exact same swap.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Seems pointless.

I guess I forgot that JK's have a lit more electrical nightmares to get past for a proper swap. I also agree that swapping in a 5.3 is not smart for a Jk because the 3.6 makes close to 290 horsepower anyways. However something like a 6.0 or even a 5.7 with bolt on mods can push the motor past 400 and is literally the exact same swap.

The newest version of the 5.3, is making 350 hp, however, I’ve been told they have lifter problems.

Rhampson3

Well you can certainly fit an LS 5.3L V8 in there. And it's an aluminum engine, so it weighs nearly the same as the stock engine.

Aftermarket turbos can be very expensive when done correctly. If you plan on running around 4 or 5 pounds of boost, you can pretty much bolt on a turbo. Any more boost than that and you really should build the engine for the turbo. This would entail forged aluminum pistons (to survive any unwanted knocking that might occur), increased volume oil pump. The turbo is lubricated and cooled by engine oil that flows fairly freely past the impeller shaft. This can significantly drop your oil pressure, hence the need to install a high volume pump. Overboost must be prevented, so you'll need an inline limiter (not the best) or a waste gate (the best). Then there's the nightmare of connecting two exhaust manifolds together. Do they go under the engine (but where?) or over the engine (but where)? A cleaner install would be bi-turbo, one for each head. That eliminates the cross over pipe and, because each of the two turbos is smaller than a single turbo, you cut any turbo lag by a factor of around 4 (the angular momentum of the impeller/compressor is half that of a single larger turbo and the amount of time required to get to speed is a function of the square of the rotating assembly's moment of inertia). You could also install sodium filled valved to help transfer heat out of the engine cylinder. And what about the bottom end of the engine. The 3.8s are pretty weak.

A more practical solution is a supercharger. The install is easier but you should still do the other things you'd do to build a turbo engine. The problem with either of these solutions is that there are guys out there that, after the installation, are still not satisfied with the power. I have a 4 door set up for expedition, so it's heavy. 2nd battery, on board air, air tank, 35s, roof rack, heavy tool box I drag around, refrigerator, crap on the roof rack. It adds up pretty fast.

I put in the LS 5.3L V8 with the 6 speed trans. You have other options as well: 6.2L with 8 speed trans for example. There's no extra stuff in the engine compartment. The V8 fits almost exactly like the V6 it replaces, so even with the V8 it
's not all tight and cramped in there. I had MoTech in Las Vegas do the swap (see lswrangler.com).

I got about half way through the second paragraph and stopped reading because I decided I’m not doing any of that stuff. [emoji23]

M0J0

I am considering the Prodigy Turbo kit over a LS swap. It is not really about the money. I live at high altitude and turbos shine there. I can’t really top 65mph uphill in the mountains. A LS3 at 500hp is 350hp at my house. The downside is turbo lag at altitude is well over twice as long. I need to do some more research. Find someone else that has a turbo setup in the mountains. Any thoughts? My other idea is a modified LS3 pushing around 650hp.

Ddays

Hooked
I am considering the Prodigy Turbo kit over a LS swap. It is not really about the money. I live at high altitude and turbos shine there. I can’t really top 65mph uphill in the mountains. A LS3 at 500hp is 350hp at my house. The downside is turbo lag at altitude is well over twice as long. I need to do some more research. Find someone else that has a turbo setup in the mountains. Any thoughts? My other idea is a modified LS3 pushing around 650hp.

350hp with no turbo lag is not enough? :thinking:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

There is no replacement, for displacement. My 360 hp Hemi is still pretty strong in Colorado. I had no problem moving this on 550.
IMG_2277.jpg
I mean, I get the fact that you fellows in high altitude lose power, but I’ve driven a 2 door with 33’s and 3.73 gears all over the San Juan mountains. I pulled an R-Pod through the Sierra Nevada and through Cortez to Durango with a 2014 JKU, geared to 4.88. I expect not to be able to pull hills as well, but I passed F-250’s pulling trailers less than 30 feet.

Last edited:

A.J.

I am a huge fan of turbochargers. That said I don't think it's practical for the Jeep. I lived at 6000ft valley floor and I have lived at sea level. Yes the altitude sucks some horsepower but an LS with 6 speed will be plenty. I mean if you want to go drag racing buy a car and turbo it up. Why you would want to add more tuning issues, more working parts to deal with and more maintenance issues to a vehicle you intend to drive out in the wilderness where you could potentially freeze and die if it left you stranded is beyond me. Lol!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Turbo and Jeep, two words that don't belong anywhere near each other, IMHO

I would flog what you have while saving for the V-8 of your dreams.

You have the right Jeep for it👍

Top Bottom