Thoughts about this used 2015 Rubicon - Please.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Overall, it’s an ok buy. For the same money you could find a used sport and build it right. It means A LOT more work on your end, but you will have spent the same and the quality will be way better. You will also know exactly what you have and how to maintain it and to repair it if you break it. (It will happen if you use it for which it is built). There’s a lot of us here that bought rubicon or built jeep, just to remove everything except from the frame down and in hindsight would have way ahead financially with a used sport. The advantage of that jeep you are looking at is that you can jump right in with a moderately built jeep and go have fun. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Make sure it'll fit in the parking garages around you too.

It's built right with the parts in it. Bartact are the best seat covers ($600+), Adams driveshafts, the best. I can argue the lift isn't the greatest, but still a solid, made in the USA vs the teraflex/zone/rough country chinese junk. 5.13 gears are done, rear axle shafts, rcv's etc.

It'll be great to wheel as is. If you start getting into the big rocks in the desert, where you need a spotter, etc, you'll want a hydraulic ram assist, but that's $2500 plus labor. It really sucks to not be able to turn your wheels though in a rock garden.

Good luck.

Vinnielax

If I was in your situation (lack of garage/wrenching ability) I’d probably find a good deal on a used Sport that someone never took offroad or did anything stupid to (mods that are worthless). Step 2- drive to Fullerton and drop it off at Offroad Evolution. Spend an extra long weekend in Los Angeles, catch some sports, go day drinking in Santa Monica, try surfing in Malibu, take my dog for a walk, whatever. Pick up the Jeep a week later, and then ready to go tackle whatever you want.

You’d save money in the long run because if you buy this Jeep you will eventually want to take off some of those parts you overpaid for, and make it your own based on your newly developed wheeling style and experience.

Lots of good build info on the site to guide you. Or just call Drew at ORO and tell him what size tires you ultimately want and build from there, since so much is driven by tire size. You can install lights on your own without a lot of tools or a garage. Figure out tires, axles, lockers, bumpers, skids, and you’re a long ways towards having a Jeep the exact way you want, and not the way Mr Scottsdale wanted.

Just my $0.02

Jsouder53

Hooked
If I was in your situation (lack of garage/wrenching ability) I’d probably find a good deal on a used Sport that someone never took offroad or did anything stupid to (mods that are worthless). Step 2- drive to Fullerton and drop it off at Offroad Evolution. Spend an extra long weekend in Los Angeles, catch some sports, go day drinking in Santa Monica, try surfing in Malibu, take my dog for a walk, whatever. Pick up the Jeep a week later, and then ready to go tackle whatever you want.

^^^^ This is a also a great option, one that I would take being that you are within the same state

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You’ll spend a lot of time building up a sport to make it better than a Rubicon, note I said time. In the long run it may be a little cheaper but not buy much and only if you have really big plans. Eddie ( Wayalife) has always said he prefers to start with the Rubicon platform.

Also, buying a stock jeep and taking it to Evo will cost a pretty penny. More than this jeep.

The comment regarding getting a loan for more than Blue Book will be problematic.

If you want a jeep on 37s, don’t have the means to do your own work, and want a manual then I think this is a solid jeep.

jesse3638

Hooked
You’ll spend a lot of time building up a sport to make it better than a Rubicon, note I said time. In the long run it may be a little cheaper but not buy much and only if you have really big plans. Eddie ( Wayalife) has always said he prefers to start with the Rubicon platform.

Also, buying a stock jeep and taking it to Evo will cost a pretty penny. More than this jeep.

The comment regarding getting a loan for more than Blue Book will be problematic.

If you want a jeep on 37s, don’t have the means to do your own work, and want a manual then I think this is a solid jeep.

^^^This^^^ As well.

Honestly the guy selling it sounds like a dickhead "No LOWBALLERS I don't need to sell it" Then trying to church up the standard Rubicon package. I'm sure he bought it because it was the latest "cool" vehicle now 3 years later he's tired of it. As mentioned financing will be difficult above the value. Offer 37k and see what happens. If he comes off like a tool tell him to get fucked and walk away. If he's polite about his firm price then give him a chance.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Also, no matter what you decide, don’t go all balls out on the build.

Take your time and enjoy the jeep and don’t over-extend yourself on mods. I’ve been on here for a little over 2 years and I’ve seen a ton of people build it up and then turn around and sell because life happened or all of a sudden the Jeep isn’t commuter friendly because they over built it.

Lastly, it’s almost a certainty that you won’t wheel as hard or as much as you think you will.

Last edited:

tippedover

I would highly suggest that you buy a stock sport and build it, that way like others have said you know what’s on it and know how to maintain it. You will also have a lot more appreciation for your jeep if you build it your self and not end up changing things someone else put on it

A.J.

One more time....Looks good to me! Buy it! It's a pavement princess with some decent parts and looks like it's never been off road really. Low mileage and pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Buy the damn thing and drive the crap out of it. DOOO IIIT!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
I think it’s a solid Jeep and probably a good buy. But being you’ve never owned a Jeep or been wheeling in one, ask yourself this..Where do you want to wheel? where are you going to wheel? and how much time can you dedicate to it. Also what size tires do you need for what your going to be wheeling? Being you live smack dab in the middle of the city these things may be important..May be a better choice to spend less and figure all these things out as you go and build what you need. Either way I think this is a nice jeep that’s set up just fine.

Not sure but I think that you should not include those 1000 dollar for the heavy duty dana44 front axle. The seller is talking about truss and that is a metal pice welded to the axle housing to add extra strenght. Some say that a truss is wortless and some say it is something good. I do not know, have never done it but to be honest I´m not very keen on the ideá because I think the strenght should be in the axle housing itself and not come from things like that.

The dana44 axle you are refering to is a good axle housing but I doubt that he have actually installed that axle housing. Reason is, even if it is better than stock rubicon dana44 front axle housing it is not that much better, just a little bit. The tubes are a little bit thicker and thats all. Maybee the outer c´s is reinforced but i´m not sure. Anyway, it is not that much stronger compared to stock dana44 so installing that axle is a very weird "uppgrade" instead of installing a real uppgrade like a dyna trac axle housing or any other good after market axle housing.

This axle you are refering to is the stock axle housing on the jeep jk8. That is a military version of the wrangler jk and that wrangler is build in Egypt on license. The military version of the wrangler needed some stronger axle housing to meet their demands but it is not a " super beefed up" axle housing by any means like the dyna trac prorock 44.

Personaly I do not value the vinch, front bumper or the fender flares much. They are cheap chinese products. The fender flares might actually shake in highway speeds.

Last thing, that might hurt a bit. But how much wheeling will you do? 37" tire is big and do not contribute to anything good unless over big rocks and those 37" tires might actually break this more or less stock axles if used for what 37" tyres are made to do.

I´ve 33" tyres and some other other good quality items like LOD rock sliders and a ARB vinchbar and a small 2" ome lift and some other stuff. With that I will drive across Kola Penisula this summer and that is 1 100 km of sometimes hard off road and very very deserted areas. I honestly prefer my small build with 33" tyres to do that journey than with this one with 37" tires that if you are unlucky could break down more easily because of not so good matched parts like stock axle housings on 37" tires and a very cheap chinese vinch that might work or not work when you need it most.

supreeth

Update - No Sale

Firstly, thanks a lot you guys for providing me your feedback, thoughts and answering my questions.
I decided to go ahead and take a closer look (I live in SF and the vehicle's in Scottsdale) but apparently he decided to not sell and hold onto it :(
Sounds like a nice guy, not cocky (as the ad made him seem at all) Asked him to get back to me if he changes his mind.
Oh well, onto the next one ...

Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom