Thoughts on 35s that ARE NOT Mud Terrains...

explorebc4x4

I recently got a new 2015 JKU Rubicon :yup: and plan to put 35s on her. In the past I have had Cooper STT's and had them last 50,000 miles plus, However just like all Mud Terrain tires, they were a bit noisy with harsh ride on road. Lets be honest, unless you are a millionaire, most of us are driving our rigs to and from work. What are everyone's thoughts on running 35s that are more multi purpose like an all terrain? Lets here about your experiences.

1. Brand of Tire

2. Model of Tire

3. Size of Tire (and wheel)

4. What type of driving you do with them?

5. How are they wearing? (Mileage)

6. Your thoughts on them

7. How do they look??!!

Goodyear

Duratrac

315/75/17 (stock 2013 Rubi wheels with 1.5" spacers)

I do mostly city/hwy driving. I bought my current set beginning of October this year and have put 15,000 on them so far. They have been in about 1' of snow and did great. I was very impressed. Also on highway in snow, again handled great! I just drove from Vancouver BC to Palm Dessert California (roughly 4500 km) and they were very pleasant on the highway (both my wife and mother in law didn't complain!!). Not noisy at all. Also had them at Anza Borrego, didn't do anything too crazy but they handled nicely in the sand.

Wearing normal

I love them so far! Also love the way they look. Really cool tread pattern. I think they look great on the JK's

kfchris

Bravo on you sir for the extremely long trek with both the wife and mother-in-law in the jeep also! Nice jeep. I'm considering Duratracs or Coopers (maybe MT ATZ if I lean that way but not sure) when the time comes. Not really needing a full MT for what I do.

segt99

Has anyone seen or run these?

Cooper S/T Maxx
cooper-discoverer-st-maxx-group-large.jpg

I have had Cooper STT tires in the past in both 33" and 35" sizes and they held up great but I am trying to get better on-road performance without sacrificing too much.

lidless07X

Another vote for the Terra Grapplers.

They are quiet, long lasting (some have gotten 65k miles out of them), great in the rain, reasonably priced, and look pretty good too.

I have had them on all three of my JKs and my Ram 1500 and I am absolutely a fan. I've been tempted many times to purchase a more aggressive looking tire, but the reality is , I really don't need an aggressive tire so i always come back to them.

I can't comment on their mud or rocks performance because I simply don't use my Jk that way.

TLC Offroad

I'm running the AT II on My Duramax they have about 11000 miles and are showing no wear that's good for a heavy truck the other sets I have tried showed signs of wear fast and they have been Great in the snow so far.

Good Tire...

Notsodirtyhippie

Also look at the Nitto terra grappler g2's. I saw a set on an f350 yesterday and was pretty impressed with all the sipping and the lug pattern. They look like they would work well in all conditions.
View attachment 183287 .

We have those in 35s on our f250, and I HATE them. They seem to throw me all over the place. I won't drive over 70 with them on. Our old tires were noisier and a slight rougher ride but I could go over 85 without even noticing or being remotely scared. Our roads have a lot of grooves in them and these tires grip and follow those grooves. My husband loves them though.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Has anyone seen or run these?

Cooper S/T Maxx
View attachment 183396

I have had Cooper STT tires in the past in both 33" and 35" sizes and they held up great but I am trying to get better on-road performance without sacrificing too much.

I ran the Discoverer S/T and the S/T Maxx on my '02 Z71. Got 65,000 miles out of the S/T, sold the truck before the Maxx's were wore out. I sell tires for a living and Cooper especially. I've seen a lot when it comes to tires as far as wear and longevity. The S/T Maxx is what we call a "hybrid" tire, just like the Toyo R/T and the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. The Toyo R/T is overpriced in my opinion, especially when the tread depth is less than other competitors. If you wanted to go with an actual All-terrain, I would recommend the Toyo AT2 over the Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Nitto and Toyo are sister companies and the AT2 and G2 are in the same category, but I've seen the AT2 last longer and it looks a lot better in my opinion. Also as Eddie mentioned, they carry a 65,000 mile tread wear rating, which is hard to find in an All-terrain LT tire. I currently run the Cooper Discoverer AT3 in a 315/70R17 (discontinued in this size) with over 50,000 miles on them. They've served me well, but I will be going to the Discoverer STT Pro next since my Jeep will be seeing more trails and less highway in the near future.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Also, a bonus to Cooper is that their world headquarters are located in the same state that your Wrangler was built! :thumb:

segt99

I ran the Discoverer S/T and the S/T Maxx on my '02 Z71. Got 65,000 miles out of the S/T, sold the truck before the Maxx's were wore out. I sell tires for a living and Cooper especially. I've seen a lot when it comes to tires as far as wear and longevity. The S/T Maxx is what we call a "hybrid" tire, just like the Toyo R/T and the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. The Toyo R/T is overpriced in my opinion, especially when the tread depth is less than other competitors. If you wanted to go with an actual All-terrain, I would recommend the Toyo AT2 over the Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Nitto and Toyo are sister companies and the AT2 and G2 are in the same category, but I've seen the AT2 last longer and it looks a lot better in my opinion. Also as Eddie mentioned, they carry a 65,000 mile tread wear rating, which is hard to find in an All-terrain LT tire. I currently run the Cooper Discoverer AT3 in a 315/70R17 (discontinued in this size) with over 50,000 miles on them. They've served me well, but I will be going to the Discoverer STT Pro next since my Jeep will be seeing more trails and less highway in the near future.

Thanks alot. I am glad someone finally said what I have been thinking for years. Nitto and Toyo make great tires but they are very overpriced in my opinion.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Thanks alot. I am glad someone finally said what I have been thinking for years. Nitto and Toyo make great tires but they are very overpriced in my opinion.
I'm not saying ALL of their tires are overpriced...they make a great product. Just the Toyo Open Country R/T is overpriced compared to other tires in its class. The Toyo Open Country M/T tends to be priced a bit higher than other M/Ts, but not outragious. Goodyear by far is the highest priced for a mediocre quality tire. One thing you must understand...tire opinions are just like ride quality opinions, completely subjective. Most people will always recommend the only tires they've ever ran because they have no experience with any other tire brand/model. I'm not trying to sell you on any certain tire, just giving you my expert opinion.

segt99

I'm not saying ALL of their tires are overpriced...they make a great product. Just the Toyo Open Country R/T is overpriced compared to other tires in its class. The Toyo Open Country M/T tends to be priced a bit higher than other M/Ts, but not outragious. Goodyear by far is the highest priced for a mediocre quality tire. One thing you must understand...tire opinions are just like ride quality opinions, completely subjective. Most people will always recommend the only tires they've ever ran because they have no experience with any other tire brand/model. I'm not trying to sell you on any certain tire, just giving you my expert opinion.

I appreciate that! I have run MT tires before. Goodyears and Coopers. Coopers lasted much longer than the Goodyear. But with a family and 4 doors i have to sacrifice a bit. So i am looking for road manners on tires while still running 35s. But some AT tires in 35" sizes just look silly on Jeeps. So i am keeping in mind the looks and thread pattern of the AT tires for my Rubi.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I appreciate that! I have run MT tires before. Goodyears and Coopers. Coopers lasted much longer than the Goodyear. But with a family and 4 doors i have to sacrifice a bit. So i am looking for road manners on tires while still running 35s. But some AT tires in 35" sizes just look silly on Jeeps. So i am keeping in mind the looks and thread pattern of the AT tires for my Rubi.

Like I mentioned previously, I'm running the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 currently. They have nearly 55,000 miles on them (mostly highway, with a couple wheeling trips), I've been pleased. If you're going All-terrain, I'd go with the Toyo A/T2 to keep an aggressive look. The S/T Maxx will still have the noise and faster wear like a mud tire.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453839720.512435.jpg Here's my Jeep with the AT3s at just under 50,000 miles on them...

Hobolobo

Not trying to hijack, but has anyone had experience with the Yokohama Geolander AT-S? Looks to be a pretty aggressive all terrain with 50,000 mi warranty.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Not trying to hijack, but has anyone had experience with the Yokohama Geolander AT-S? Looks to be a pretty aggressive all terrain with 50,000 mi warranty.

Once again, for the price, I'd go with the Toyo Open Country AT2. Especially if you're looking for an all-terrain with an aggressive appearance.

JohnnyWest

Ran Nitto Exo Grappler 35s on 17" Walker Evans beadlocks for about 10,000 miles. I've had Terra Grapplers on multiple trucks and really liked them, but my kid wanted to try something different on the Jeep. I would think you could easily get 40,000 miles out of them. We ran them at 28psi. No noticeable road noise. It's my sons daily driver and the tires were great both on road and off road. Wanted 37s so ended up going with the Cooper STT Pro.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453963455.864183.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453963588.356528.jpg

JTLen

2007 2Door X
Goodyear Duratrac
LT265/75 R16
Mostly City/Hwy
I'm at around 40,000

Depends on why you're buying them and what you expect from them. I wanted a tire that looked aggressive, had good pavement manners and had the snowflake just in case. With a side order of decent off road capability. So for my style these have worked out great (maybe a little disappointed I didn't get more miles out of them). I'll be buying another set soon as these are right around 4/32. Load range E for sure, but deciding on if I should go up a size (285) or two (315). My jeep is pretty stock.

I've heard these have weak sidewalls, though I haven't experienced that. If I was going to be out in the rocks every weekend banging around in the rocks, I think I'd go with something different like the Toyo or Nitto. Just depends how hard you're going to wheel and how much $$$ you have to devote to tires.

sunnysideup

Had a set of duratracs for over 70,000 miles 315/75/16.... was a great tire!

Have a set of BFG KO2 in the same size now.... seems to be a great tire, I wonder if anything will get over 70,000 again... lol.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Ran Nitto Exo Grappler 35s on 17" Walker Evans beadlocks for about 10,000 miles. I've had Terra Grapplers on multiple trucks and really liked them, but my kid wanted to try something different on the Jeep. I would think you could easily get 40,000 miles out of them. We ran them at 28psi. No noticeable road noise. It's my sons daily driver and the tires were great both on road and off road. Wanted 37s so ended up going with the Cooper STT Pro.
View attachment 184706
View attachment 184707

What are your impressions of the 37" Cooper STT Pro? This is one of the tires I'm considering when I bump up to 37s.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I've put 50,000 miles on some Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm very impressed with this tire. Running 35's on stock wheels, and will be upgrading to slabs and another set of trail grapplers this coming month. As far as noise goes, there not loud at all until about 25% tread life. Performance on and off the road is incredible, you'll be suprised what you don't need 4wd for.

Top Bottom