Thoughts on a 6.6 diesel with an Allison transmission

JakeJK

I asked for constructive ideas as to implement my idea not to get shot down. I'm a mechanical engineer at Virginia tech it's also for my senior cap stone project so a viable electric solution isn't in the cards at the time

I'm a mechanical engineer at Auburn university I wish I could do this for my senior project!!

JakeJK

Oh. Well that explains it all. Sorry and good luck. I would hate for your capstone project to be on something relevant to today's times like electric motors.

Why so against diesels?

Converting a gas vehicle to an electric would be a hell of a job not to say going to a 6.6l dmax isn't but it's a lot simpler. I also wouldn't want 4 motors just chilling waiting to get smashed on my rig just my .02

Edit: I see your comment on hub-contained now.

Last edited:

GCM 2

A properly tuned diesel shouldn't have nearly that much soot coming out of it

Going off this quote above, you must only have experience with the recent "clean burn" diesel technology? Trying to swap any of these soot free "clean burn" motors into, lets just say a JK since that is the vehicle of choice for this thread, would be even more difficult because of the amount of exhaust re-burn technology that has to be accomplished is near rocket surgery level design, engineering and application. So that leaves us with only old school traditional simple, exhaust manifold to catalytic converter to muffler to exhaust tip exit technology.....which means when the accelerator is depressed you are going to get serious amounts of noxious sulphur lingering on the trail, no matter how "tuned" you make. Need proof, look at any class of tractor pulling competition, because I'm pretty sure all of those are as finely tuned as it gets for diesels.

WJCO

Meme King
New to this thread. While anything is possible with a torch and a welder, this task will be very difficult and extremely custom. Although you're asking for advice on this Jeep forum, I highly doubt anyone on here has done something like this and will likely not be able to easily answer your question. This is one of those projects where you will learn as you go and will have a lot of time and money in it to make it work. It may be easier to buy a truck with that powertrain that you are looking for, and mount a Jeep body on it (modified of course).

Top Bottom