Thoughts on the new jk/ jku back country edition??

Adamw1212

Been shopping around for new jeeps and seen the back country model. Was wanting other people's opinion on it and if it seems like a good buy

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Does it have Rubicon running gear or is it just another sticker package?

Edit: I just looked. It's another sticker package with a dana30 front end. I don't see the point.

ScoobyCarolanNC

It's a Sahara with some rubicon parts. None of the important ones though. Honestly, if you're going to build it, start with a rubicon so you have a decent front axle. It's my only regret with a Sahara.

Adamw1212

I'm from Ohio where it's mostly flat and not to many crawling spots but if you get max tow you get better gearing... Even though it still isn't a Dana 44 or have lockers

lidless07X

It's a nice package. Much more than just stickers. I'm a Sahara owner who has no need or want for a Rubicon.

The bumpers that come on the Back Country edition are AEV which are expensive. You also get marginally better tires, the blacked out wheels, I THINK rock rails, and some other gingerbread.

If you plan on wheeling rocks and adding bigger tires (like 35's) I would get the Rubi as you can always add bumpers to it later.

It wont be so easy to add the Rubicon's transfer case, lockers, and Dana 44 front axle to a non-Rubicon.

I think the stickers look horrible on the Back Country. They would be peeled off before my first fill up.

Good luck

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The need for a Rubicon really depends on what you're going to do with it. I live in south-eastern Wisconsin where off roading is very limited. I was dead set on a Rubicon until I drove a few. The tighter suspension and mud tires were more than what I cared to live with. If your into mods, huge tires and extreme off-roading then a Rubicon is a must! Otherwise the back county looks like a nice package. I really like the 10a bumpers! Good luck!

Scratch the 10a bumper comment. They are something different, but still nice!.

Last edited:

croge17

The rubicon make sense if you are planning to lift , get on 35's and run moderately difficult trails. Otherwise 90% of the reason you bought a rubicon will end up getting replaced when you get into more technical or difficult wheeling.

The 44 is just the differential upgrade, the gears arent significantly deeper than a tow package sahara, the t-case is the only thing that you would probably keep for the long haul

If you are just getting into jeeping then it makes sense to get a sahara or special package. You will save some money on the original purchase, 90% of the jeeps I see will never do anything hard enough to require an upgraded axle much over the standard sleeve, gusset, truss that you will do on the rubicon axle anyway. If you go to 35" or bigger tires on a rubicon or sahara a regear will benefit you, If you plan to get into really difficult wheeling the stock lockers are known to fail and a lot of rubicon guys go to the aftermarket lockers for added strength anyway.

In the long run, Its your life your money your jeep. Research the parts you want to have on your jeep more than the package then get the cheapest package that fits your want.

I got a "sticker package" MOAB Unlimited Edition because i knew i was going to go to an aftermarket housing up front regardless of stock front axle, I opted out of the rear locker in favor of adding an aftermarket locker, i also opted out of the the tow package and got 3.21 gears knowing i would be re gearing. Now one year after purchase I have a Core44 front, 5.13 gears and front and rear lockers and im still 8k cheaper than what i could have gotten a comparably equipped rubicon unlimited for assuming i could have gotten the same discount on a rubicon as MOAB

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
I looked at a Back Country model yesterday , $44,678.00 no way. The had a loaded Rubicon for $38,279.00 , I'd go with the Rubi 1st if I was buying a new JKU. IN stead I bought my a new Jeep Renagde .

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I looked at a Back Country model yesterday , $44,678.00 no way. The had a loaded Rubicon for $38,279.00 , I'd go with the Rubi 1st if I was buying a new JKU. IN stead I bought my a new Jeep Renagde .

Wow, 38k for a loaded Rubi is cheap! I was looking at a middle of the road 2015 for 43k. Invoice minus hold back was still over 39k. Rubi's must be cheaper on the west coast?

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
Wow, 38k for a loaded Rubi is cheap! I was looking at a middle of the road 2015 for 43k. Invoice minus hold back was still over 39k. Rubi's must be cheaper on the west coast?

This was just a standard Rubi unlimited, if we're a special trim Rubi unlimited it would well 40k.

croge17

most the sticker package jeeps are loaded saharas. Mine had nav, headed seats, remote start, leather, etc. is it worth it for everyone??? NO but for some it is.

Adamw1212

Just looking for something good for dunes, light rock crawling and what ever else fun I can find in or around ohio

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So....what's the difference with the Rubi's then?

Is this model that is coming put kinda like the Polar with special seats, hood and stickers?

Gearing on site states either 3.21 or 3.73's but comes with locked 44 in front.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...the standard sleeve, gusset, truss that you will do on the rubicon axle anyway.

That's just silly. Regear for 37"+ tires...yes. Gussets for 35's and above...of course. Sleeves and trusses? Total waste of money and far from a "standard" upgrade.

For me, having the e-disco, rubi t-case, and e-lockers right out of the gate are worth the price of admission. And for a lot of people, these last a very long time.

Last edited:

Adamw1212

I would love a 3.5" lift and 35s but don't know when it would happen and never thought about the regearing part of it

You can order a Rubi Hard Rock here for 38-40k. You just have to shop around and figure out what you want in it off the lot.

To the OP, I would go with the Rubi for the 4.10 gears that way on 35s you don't HAVE to regear. You may still WANT to but it is not necessary like it would be on 3.21 or 3.73s

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
To the OP, I would go with the Rubi for the 4.10 gears that way on 35s you don't HAVE to regear. You may still WANT to but it is not necessary like it would be on 3.21 or 3.73s

Make sure it has the 4.10s before purchase though as they are now offered with 3.73s also.

ScoobyCarolanNC

4.10s are a $700 option on an auto. Some dealers will have them others won't. Build a rubi on jeep.com and then tell it search local inventory.

Top Bottom