Tips, drag link and tie rod removal

BaddestCross

Okie dokie new question then since I have never touched a pitman arm any tips for that one?

Pb blaster for a few days, mark the arm and the box so you can line them back up, rent a puller?
Obviously the bungie cords on my steering wheel arent gonna hold it in place to remove the arm.
Put the DL back on so it doesn't move as much?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
The Pittman arm is keyed, so you can't really fuck it up. You should secure the steering wheel in place so it doesn't get spun accidentally though.

I rented a puller from O'Reilly's... A big wrench or an impact gun with a wobble extension should get it off fairly easily.

Putting it back on, slide it in place, hand-tighten the nut, and use it to push the arm back on the steering box until it doesn't go anymore then torque to spec.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

desertrunner

Sounds easy enough, although I'm realizing I have to take my track bar off to get to that nut.

I also believe the nut is a 34mm?
I don't have a 34 but I have a bunch of standard sockets that should be big enough just can't confirm it yet

BaddestCross

Sounds easy enough, although I'm realizing I have to take my track bar off to get to that nut.

I don't have a 34 but I have a bunch of standard sockets that should be big enough just can't confirm it yet

I don't remember the size, but no way is it almost as big as the axle nut.

You don't have to take the track bar off, but it would make it easier.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug

I used a 33mm when I took mine off on a 2011.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

desertrunner

I'm going to at least have to drop the frame side of the track bar to get to the nut, I tried to squeeze a socket in there and there is now way.
And then hopefully one of the sockets I have will fit haha

BaddestCross

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Well start 1 project and end up with 3 more. Frame side track bar bolt has seized itself to the bushing in the track bar and I cant get the fucker out....

You may have done this but have you tried lifting the diff higher. I had an issue with getting the bolt out but giving it some height put slack on the bolt.

desertrunner

You may have done this but have you tried lifting the diff higher. I had an issue with getting the bolt out but giving it some height put slack on the bolt.

Naw man that thing was in there good I had the other side out already so it should have just fell.

Anyways a C clamp with a big socket on one end and then finished it off with a pickle fork and a piece of pipe finally got it out.

desertrunner

Anyways back to the pitman arm my 1-5/16" looks like it will fit, it's a little bigger than it probably should be but I don't have anything metric that size. And I have read mixed things on what size it actually is.
Hopefully my 1-5/16" should work

desertrunner

Strike 2 on the puller may actually have to buy one that's a different style. The one big enough at AutoZone was adjustable so it had some hardware that didn't give me enough clearance on the track bar bracket

Top Bottom