Tips for choosing a line for a newb

Serg5000

Being new to wheelin was the most frustrating part. I was fortunate to hook up with one of the guys I work with that has wheeled for many years. He has shown me many things. Now I spot for others. I found that most are willing to help the new guys. Just be patient and don't get frustrated when on the trail.
You pick things up quick.

Holeshot

Banned
The biggest hint I can tell you is, when you're not sure of what's going on, or if you're not at ease with an obstacle for particular reasons, whatever it may be, from to steep angles, off camber situations, etc. JUST ask your partner/spotter to go out and look from the exterior and guide you through. Like WOL said, things often seems worst than they really are.

Last edited:

FuriousDz

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the advice.

If I could Id be out wheelin everyday. Buying a jeep is truly one of the best things i ever did. Its the only vehicle ive ever owned that makes me happy to just be in it on and off road ALL the time.

FuriousDz

Just curious if you have the new brake assist for the 6 speed. I have it on my 2012. It's very helpful for rockcrawling once you master it.

I don't know of the 2011 has it or not

Yes, i do have it on the 11 and that and using the hand brake has definitely helped

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yes, i do have it on the 11 and that and using the hand brake has definitely helped

You don't really need to use the hand brake on climbing. Push the brake down hard and let go. It will hold the brake for 4-5 seconds while you work the clutch.

Or go lighter for less brake pressure

FuriousDz

You don't really need to use the hand brake on climbing. Push the brake down hard and let go. It will hold the brake for 4-5 seconds while you work the clutch.

Or go lighter for less brake pressure

Cool, thanks for the tip

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Don't have any advice but i just want to say thank you for starting this as i am a new guy too! have owned a my jeep now for a year but haven't had a chance to do anything more than light offroading and campus. so it is good to start learning this stuff now before i attempt any of it.

KingCopperhead

Have a spotter that you trust. Learn the terminology and hand signals that he or she may use to guide you over a tight spot.

Instead of using "right and left" use "passenger or driver" keeps ya from getting mixed up. Seems like common sense but still, never know.

Your spotter is essentially your eyes, really need to be able to communicate and trust them.

I'm still learning too, similar setup rig as yours. Regear asap. I've been out twice with 3.73s and 35s and it sucks in rocks. Just geared to 4.88 but haven't been able to test it out yet.

Learn how to estimate where your undercarriage parts are too especially your pumpkins, be mindful of where they are so you don't get hung up on them.

Don't be afraid to back off and try something again later. The folks I wheel with told me this on day 1. Nobody is gonna make fun of you, fixing a broken rig or contending with an injury is far worse than a little broken pride.

This is all stuff I've been told and learned on my first few tips out in the rocks. I'm still a novice myself but figured I'd pass along what little I know. Also, practice the hand brake technique. Eddie told me about it before my last trip and it helped me a lot in a few spots.

Last edited:

Davwashere

I've learned most of my knowledge by watching the lines people take in front of me. Especially the bad lines!!! Give yourself enough space in between you and the rig ahead of you so you can see all the rocks they just went over.

thardy

Banned
Yes, thank you for bumping this to the top. It's always good to hear the advice of the people with more experience. Looking forward to getting out some soon with some more experienced folks. The one thing that I've learned in the year that I've had the Jeep is that I like to get out and watch someone else go through the obstacle before I do, especially if I have any amount of hesitation. Watching the lines, suspension, and undercarriage gives me a good idea of how my Jeep will react.

Lol. Too bad the videographer ran away.

Ran away, or turned away?

Climbs an descents take a little more thought too. A quick tap on the gas if you are really feeling the rear end raise up can keep you from going over. Going up, and feeling it come over.... Off the the gas and into reverse will hopefully help.

Top Bottom