Tire Deflators

jesse3638

Hooked
I too am cheap and would rather spend my money on other things so I made a set of my own. You can check the pressure with a standard tire gauge. I posted my write up on JKF about a year ago. If you search Cheap and Easy DIY Tire Deflators there you can see it. Hopefully my reference to my old thread on JKF isn't against the rules. If it is please delete my post thanks.

Tire Deflator.jpg Tire Deflator Gauge.jpg Tire Deflator Stack.jpg

Last edited:

jhires

I use a clip on tire chuck with s nipple on it. it works very fast, works with a tire gauge, comes off really easy, hooks back up to my air hose, and is cheap

Augichef

I too am cheap and would rather spend my money on other things so I made a set of my own. You can check the pressure with a standard tire gauge. I posted my write up on JKF about a year ago. If you search Cheap and Easy DIY Tire Deflators there you can see it. Hopefully my reference to my old thread on JKF isn't against the rules. If it is please delete my post thanks.

View attachment 29024 View attachment 29025 View attachment 29026

That's sweet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
That's sweet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! All said and done they coast around $15 and I ended up with 106 extra assorted set screws. Never know when those will come in handy...haha. They aren't the fastest on the market but they are usually quicker than the fancy ARB or Currie one's mentioned at the beginning and its cool to say you made them. If possible, moderators, may I post the link to my write up on JKF?

StrizzyChris

Thanks! All said and done they coast around $15 and I ended up with 106 extra assorted set screws. Never know when those will come in handy...haha. They aren't the fastest on the market but they are usually quicker than the fancy ARB or Currie one's mentioned at the beginning and its cool to say you made them. If possible, moderators, may I post the link to my write up on JKF?

Just copy and paste the write up in the write up section here! I'm easily one of the cheapest bastards here and u have my attention :yup:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

jesse3638

Hooked
Just copy and paste the write up in the write up section here! I'm easily one of the cheapest bastards here and u have my attention :yup:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Here ya go I re created the write up for this forum too. My other had flikr links this is cleaner. Here is the like to the post. Moderators may move it to General Offroad Tech. It fits better there than in the JK specific area.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7529-Cheap-and-Easy-DIY-Tire-Deflators

aldaman

I just use this tire inflator. Cheap and it works. Just use it as if you were airing up but instead it's letting the air out. The gauge works so when I see the desired PSI I know when to stop...

4aa1d229bc114ecfcf5460f0c4d1274c_zpsd9d3b8e1.jpg

:D

KJ_CJtoJK

could you do a parts right up for the parts need to build this
I like what I see and being able to do 2 at once would be nice

I am very happy with this setup. I can simultaneously deflate two stock 32" tires from 35 psi to 20 psi in 1 minute - 10 seconds. I can then inflate them ( two tires) back up to 35 psi in 3 minutes using my Superflow MV50 portable air compressor.

Parts:
1. ¼” Air hose with ¼” male ends. I cut about 6’- 2” off each end of a longer hose coil ( I purcahsed this polyurethane air hose from harbor Frieght)
2. Roll of pipe thread Teflon tape ( use Teflon tape on all threaded connections).
3. ¼" NPT Coupler-Cross (4-way brass cross connector).
4. ¼” barb fitting with ¼” NPT male ends with hose clamps ( 2 each to connect cut end of air hose to coupler-cross)
5. Quick connect locking closed air chucks for connecting to tire. (I purchased mine from enco.com)
6. Tire gauge.
7. 1/8” x ¼” NPT brass connector. (Remove valve stem chuck from tire gauge and use 1/8” x ¼” NPT brass connector to connect gauge to top of coupler-cross).
8. ¼” Full Port Valve.
9. Air Compressor quick connect fitting (connect to end of port valve to provide air compressor fitting for airing up tires). I modified my portable Air Compressor hose with a quick disconnect fitting to connect to fitting on port valve (less restrictive than the a valve stem chuck connection.

Attached are some close up photo's:

DSCN1640M.JPG DSCN1642M.JPG DSCN1643M.JPG

I have the ARB one and it works great, 1 tire at a time, but honestly if you are in that big of a rush to air down and get on the trail then you should rethink your timing on arrival to the trail.

KJ_CJtoJK

I have the ARB one and it works great, 1 tire at a time, but honestly if you are in that big of a rush to air down and get on the trail then you should rethink your timing on arrival to the trail.

There are several advantages to deflating/inflating two tires at a time with a balance/transfer hose than just the speed.

1. First of all it is a balance hose. You always connect it up to one axle at a time (the right and left tire of one axle). It is more critical to have the same air pressure across an axle than between the front and rear. Just by connecting it to each tire across the axle, with the valve closed, it will instantly balance the pressure in each tire assuring that you have the same tire diameter across the axle and will not be spinning the side and spider gears in the differential when traveling in a straight line.

2. It allows you to quickly deflate both tires on each side of the axle (Lt & Rt tire) and assure they are balanced. The inline gauge allows you to easily monitor the pressure.

3. It also allows you to quickly air up the two tires on each axle and automatically keep the pressure balanced.

4. Lastly, it also serves as a transfer hose. With the port valve closed, you can quickly transfer air from one tire to another. This can be convenient if you break a bead on the trail. Instead of breaking out the compressor, you can just quickly transfer air from the spare to the flat tire, and later re-inflate the spare tire at a more convenient time.

GraniteCrystal

There are several advantages to deflating/inflating two tires at a time with a balance/transfer hose than just the speed.

1. First of all it is a balance hose. You always connect it up to one axle at a time (the right and left tire of one axle). It is more critical to have the same air pressure across an axle than between the front and rear. Just by connecting it to each tire across the axle, with the valve closed, it will instantly balance the pressure in each tire assuring that you have the same tire diameter across the axle and will not be spinning the side and spider gears in the differential when traveling in a straight line.

2. It allows you to quickly deflate both tires on each side of the axle (Lt & Rt tire) and assure they are balanced. The inline gauge allows you to easily monitor the pressure.

3. It also allows you to quickly air up the two tires on each axle and automatically keep the pressure balanced.

4. Lastly, it also serves as a transfer hose. With the port valve closed, you can quickly transfer air from one tire to another. This can be convenient if you break a bead on the trail. Instead of breaking out the compressor, you can just quickly transfer air from the spare to the flat tire, and later re-inflate the spare tire at a more convenient time.
Thread resurrection!!

Are you still happy with this setup?

Top Bottom