Tire options

Swaps

is there a write up somewhere that compares tires that offer good off road abilities but are still tame on the streets? Sure I want a hardcore aggressive tread pattern, but I'd also like them to last more then a season and not make me want to blow my brains out because of the road noise.

Also, I'm not a huge off road guy. I have a friend who does some overland stuff, not too hardcore, I might tag up with him next summer a couple times. But is there such a great reason to put a lift kit on just to get an extra 2-3 inches of tires? I believe 33s will fit at stock height, or so the internet has told me, and we all know the internet is never wrong. But is one more inch worth it? Or, is the added expense of raising the truck and putting additional stresses on stock steering and suspension components worth it for a little more clearance and the ability to put tires on that are 3 inches bigger?

Not trying to be an antagonist, just trying to find the pros and cons.

Last edited:
If you want an all terrain I'd check out the BFG. If you're looking for something a little more aggressive the Nitto Trail Grappler. Those would be my recommendations.

is there a write up somewhere that compares tires that offer good off road abilities but are still tame on the streets? Sure I want a hardcore aggressive tread pattern, but I'd also like them to last more then a season and not make me want to blow my brains out because of the road noise.

Also, I'm not a huge off road guy. I have a friend who does some overland stuff, not too hardcore, I might tag up with him next summer a couple times. But is there such a great reason to put a lift kit on just to get an extra 2-3 inches of tires? I believe 33s will fit at stock height, or so the internet has told me, and we all know the internet is never wrong. But is one more inch worth it? Or, is the added expense of raising the truck and putting additional stresses on stock steering and suspension components worth it for a little more clearance and the ability to put tires on that are 3 inches bigger?

Not trying to be an antagonist, just trying to find the pros and cons.

You don't have to put on a huge/expensive lift kit to get a larger tire under your JK.

You can run a leveling kit or 2 inch kit on your JK. It's pretty inexpensive and you can do it yourself with hand tools. It will give you enough clearance to run 35 inch tires with flat fenders.

Upgrading to a good set of tires is one of the best things you can do for your Jeep to be more off road capable. Even if you don't plan on doing a lot of off roading.

Top Bottom