Tire Rack Help

TheRoyalDoyle

Was the install hard on that carrier? I just purchased the one with the rotopax, and looking through the directions, its a lot of drilling and cutting.

GCM 2

Was the install hard on that carrier? I just purchased the one with the rotopax, and looking through the directions, its a lot of drilling and cutting.

It's easier as a two man operation. There really is minimal drilling, and it really helps if you have a nice compact 90 degree angle drill for the tight inside the quarter panel hole you need to make. Make sure you take multiple measurements before drilling, 2, 3, or even 4 measurements for accuracy.

The only somewhat difficult part was the install of the carrier, wave washers, brass bushings onto the hinges. This will set the actual ride height of the carrier and how it locks into the landing block. It's better to have the carrier sitting just a bit higher than the landing block during install, so this way when you actually have the spare and rotopax mounted at full carry weight you don't have to lift the carrier gate due to sagging.

The whole process took me and one other person four hours start to finish :thumb:

TheRoyalDoyle

It's easier as a two man operation. There really is minimal drilling, and it really helps if you have a nice compact 90 degree angle drill for the tight inside the quarter panel hole you need to make. Make sure you take multiple measurements before drilling, 2, 3, or even 4 measurements for accuracy.

The only somewhat difficult part was the install of the carrier, wave washers, brass bushings onto the hinges. This will set the actual ride height of the carrier and how it locks into the landing block. It's better to have the carrier sitting just a bit higher than the landing block during install, so this way when you actually have the spare and rotopax mounted at full carry weight you don't have to lift the carrier gate due to sagging.

The whole process took me and one other person four hours start to finish :thumb:

Awesome, as far as quality were you happy

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kneece

Here's my OrFab set up.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373124307.496858.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373124330.304168.jpg
It's also a good place for your CB antenna and HiLift.

Sent by Pony Express

GCM 2

Awesome, as far as quality were you happy

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, very happy with the carrier. It has everything built on to it that you need. It handled everything I threw at it, even with a 40" tire that was above the mfg's size rating. Lots of guys run this carrier, not necessarily guys on this forum, but it has been a very popular piece of kit for quite a few years. I think you will be really happy with it, its design is pretty well thought out compared to other carriers that only carry a tire, then you still need to add more pieces too to it to achieve the same ability to carry cans and a hi-lift.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^Agreed. I installed one of these on my brother's 2-door. He has had zero rattles and the carrier still works great after two years of hard use.

StrizzyChris

I have an or-fab jerry can version I amlooking to sell, if anyone is interested. I'm going to just run without a carrier until I go with skins and a carrier

Top Bottom