Tires and lift

I'm not saying it's impossible to wheel a stock sport. I wheeled mine plenty too when it was stock. I've also wheeled in a stock Rubi and it's a world of difference. That's all.

The only real advantage is the lockers. IMO the brake locking works better on the stockish tire size. If you know how to use it you can do a ton. When I was stock I wheeled with Jeeps of the like and not all were Rubicons. No one was left behind. So what if you need a little tug from time to time? When you make it you can brag that you did it open. :)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The only real advantage is the lockers. IMO the brake locking works better on the stockish tire size. If you know how to use it you can do a ton. When I was stock I wheeled with Jeeps of the like and not all were Rubicons. No one was left behind. So what if you need a little tug from time to time? When you make it you can brag that you did it open. :)

This is so true. The JK is just an awesome platform to start with, when your in your stock jk, and everyone in your convoy is running a TJ with axles and lift, gears and tires, and you come climbing over the same obstical stock, it's pretty awesome. And honestly, in ny experience the lockers only REALLY make a difference on the steep, loose stuff. I have hardly had to use mine at all, but I'm also the guy that waits until I'm stuck to use them... I'm still learning the jeeps limits. But it's awesome stock! I'm just tired of dragging belly every 10 feet. Haha

Speeddmn

Some of you missed the fact the OP mentioned around 600 bucks for just the lift. He didn't say that was the entire budget. Overall, to run 35's trimming the fender, and a BB with new (longer) shocks is really all that is needed. Depending on the shocks you would spend the entire 600 and maybe a tad more. Spend some time on the form/craigslist/etc and find some wheels, I would advise against used tires, since they could be trashed/worn/broken belts, etc.

Wheel it stock, get the hang of it. Then figure out what is really needed. Buying something to get you by is just wasting money, usually.

daverawr

Youll be very surprised what a stock wrangler can do offroad. Im running 35s on a budget boost and trimmed fenders ( as of this weekend on a JKUR ) and It surprises me everytime i wheel. along with a wayalifer who wheeled his stock JKUR this weekend with us and he went on the harder obstacles and one i decided to use the bypass for cause I wasnt confident in, but he showed me up haha. Just wheel it out and see its potential, most likely 35s and a budget boost will be good enough for most trails and areas, untill you start getting into alot harder trails.

Top Bottom