Tires

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I wanted a few peoples opinion on tires, here it goes:

I need new tires. I am looking at the NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLE R38 X12.50R17 . If I purchase them it will be through Discount Tire for 551.00 dollars a piece for a grand total of 2,815.52 dollars after taxes and discounts for 5 tires.

I was also considering the Cooper SST Pros in 37x13.5x17s, which are a lot less expensive at 327.00 dollars a piece . Which would total out to $1, 775.21 after my discounts for 5 tires.

So, which would you go with?

Currently I have a Dynatrac Prorock 60 in the rear with 4.88 gears and a Dynatrac Prock 44 in the front with 4.88 gears, RCV axle shafts and Reid Racing Knuckles.

Also, which would you prefer an extra inch in width or height?

I live in Tucson Arizona, which is almost all sand and rock.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,
Mark C.

Dale72

Hooked
I would say the Ridge Grapplers. You can get them in 37's. Since Goodyear bought Cooper they don't have a good reputation now. The Coopers have had a lot of chucking issues lately.

I love the grip and the quietness of stt. I have a load range C and they’re wearing a bit faster in their second half of life than I’d like. Haven’t had the grapplers so can’t compare, but for an extra thousand? Tough sell.

WJCO

Meme King
I would go with the Nittos just because of principle as opposed to the Badyear owned tires. Our next sets will likely be Nittos.

desertrunner

I have the 37x13.5 cooper's on my 2dr and they haven't let me down yet I love them. Compared to other 12.5 wide tires I have run I think that extra width is noticeable but even the 12.5 cooper's look wider than other brands. I don't think I could justify the extra grand for 38s but that's just me. I won't touch the Goodyear debate that's personal choice up to you.

Adidas4275

The Coopers are a fantastic tire. I have installed them on 2 friends jeeps with beadlocks and if I had the money when I did tires on my rig I would have gone with Cooper STT Pro.

They are an American made tire and an American company, if you cant support that because you dont like their politics but then buy a tire from a foreign company that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... also the Goodyear thing was intentionally blown out of proportion. They didnt take a political stance, they didnt issue a political statement and they didnt support either presidential candidate. It wasnt a cooperate policy it was one random employee that was doing a training.

Their actual position is to refrain from making political stances with clothing and such in the workplace.

I would have no issues with Coopers, Mickey Thompsons or Nitto tires all quality tires (NItto is a Japanese company with manufacturing both in the US and Japan and the Trail Grappler I believe is made in Japan)

WJCO

Meme King
They are an American made tire and an American company, if you cant support that because you dont like their politics but then buy a tire from a foreign company that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... also the Goodyear thing was intentionally blown out of proportion. They didnt take a political stance, they didnt issue a political statement and they didnt support either presidential candidate. It wasnt a cooperate policy it was one random employee that was doing a training.
They got caught in their 'diversity' training saying that it was ok to wear 'black lives matter' attire while not allowing 'blue lives matter' attire. This was at a point where the BLM was rioting/looting/burning down cities. I'm sorry, that's wrong. I'd rather see support for police allowed vs vandals and criminals. In my opinion, diversity training is stupid to begin with because it promotes racism. The smart thing for goodyear to do would be allow all attire or allow no 'statement' attire at all. Of course they came out and changed their policy after they got caught, but it's too late in my opinion. Their stance was evil and un-American and they won't get my business from it.

jesse3638

Hooked
They got caught in their 'diversity' training saying that it was ok to wear 'black lives matter' attire while not allowing 'blue lives matter' attire. This was at a point where the BLM was rioting/looting/burning down cities. I'm sorry, that's wrong. I'd rather see support for police allowed vs vandals and criminals. In my opinion, diversity training is stupid to begin with because it promotes racism. The smart thing for goodyear to do would be allow all attire or allow no 'statement' attire at all. Of course they came out and changed their policy after they got caught, but it's too late in my opinion. Their stance was evil and un-American and they won't get my business from it.
Exactly

Dale72

Hooked
Yep

Well said 👍

Top Bottom