To Bead or not to Bead

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I appreciate all the info from everyone. I too kind of like the rock rash, sets me apart from all the jackass mall crawlers around here. I’m really torn but I feel like I’m leaning toward them. I was thinking about the black steel ring. Is there pro or con to steel versus aluminum?
Steel: Pro - inexpensive.
Cons - rust/corrosion, weight

Aluminum: Pros - resists corrosion, lightweight, durable
Cons - price.

Also, I think I've read somewhere about bimetallic corrosion involving aluminum and stainless steel or zinc (hardware). Might be something to look into if you go that route.

So I’ve read some other threads on here about this topic and it appears every tire change you may/may not have to change the bolts with every tire change, nbd. Other than that and occasionally re-torquing, is there any other maintenance needed that isn’t routine?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
So I’ve read some other threads on here about this topic and it appears every tire change you may/may not have to change the bolts with every tire change, nbd. Other than that and occasionally re-torquing, is there any other maintenance needed that isn’t routine?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No.

And you don’t need to change bolts. Do you change any other bolts once you’ve loosened them?

They are only at 25 ft-lbs ...

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
No.

And you don’t need to change bolts. Do you change any other bolts once you’ve loosened them?

They are only at 25 ft-lbs ...
Actually yes you so need to change bolts every tire change except on ATX/KMC. They use bigger bolts and say it's ok to reuse. The others all state to replace bolts. I had a friend reuse bolts once on trail ready's. What happened was not pretty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Actually yes you so need to change bolts every tire change except on ATX/KMC. They use bigger bolts and say it's ok to reuse. The others all state to replace bolts. I had a friend reuse bolts once on trail ready's. What happened was not pretty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yikes. [emoji44] Well, I’m extra happy to have Chamber Pro IIs then. [emoji1591]

zimm

Caught the Bug
The kmc use the same ring and bolts but the design looks like water will drain out. The chambers hold a quite a bit of water in them.

JK_BUB

I went with a lesser known German brand called Bawarrion. So far they have worked out well and have a different look to them.

Attachments

• D5146843-2B87-4506-B45A-C92D975A99EF.jpg
    D5146843-2B87-4506-B45A-C92D975A99EF.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom