To buy a K&N drop in filter or not

My experience with k&n type filters on motorcycles, is they're a waste of money. We would mess around on the dyno, and they never gave more power, and the air fuel ratio was negligible.

Way to back that up with facts. Nice work!

View attachment 183386

I think that your comment applies to jeepnoub as there are hundreds of Internet postings that would dispute his post. I myself own a 2013 Hayabusa and when I redyno'd after adding a k&n I gained 6 horsepower. Now 6 horsepower isn't a lot but it was a gain which contradicts the previous posters post. Feel better?

I can see how my statement could be confusing. But inaccurate absolutely not. How much dyno time do you have with motorcycles?

Your statement isn't confusing at all, it's more or less generalized which is why its inaccurate. If you were to be somewhat more specific and say something like adding a k&n filter to an otherwise stock motorcycle yielded minimal gains whereas adding one to a modified bike netted marginal gains then it would make more sense but you give no evidence of which you speak. Either way, I didn't intend for this to turn into a pissing match and I'm sure the OP could care less how a k&n filter affects a motorcycle seeming as how this is a forum about wranglers.

Jeepnoub

I think that your comment applies to jeepnoub as there are hundreds of Internet postings that would dispute his post. I myself own a 2013 Hayabusa and when I redyno'd after adding a k&n I gained 6 horsepower. Now 6 horsepower isn't a lot but it was a gain which contradicts the previous posters post. Feel better?

Well like I said how much dyno time do you have? You came back with 1 bike that "you" dynoed. You never said whether you had other mods.

I was mechanic for 8 years. Dynoed and helped other techs, around a couple hundred bikes. From my experience the value over oem filters, just wasn't worth it to me. Yeah its cool you can clean and reuse it. But that's about it.

Jeepnoub

Your statement isn't confusing at all, it's more or less generalized which is why its inaccurate. If you were to be somewhat more specific and say something like adding a k&n filter to an otherwise stock motorcycle yielded minimal gains whereas adding one to a modified bike netted marginal gains then it would make more sense but you give no evidence of which you speak. Either way, I didn't intend for this to turn into a pissing match and I'm sure the OP could care less how a k&n filter affects a motorcycle seeming as how this is a forum about wranglers.

That's exactly why I stated experience with MOTORCYCLES. pretty sure it can't be that much different in cars, but could be wrong. Just offered my 2 cents.

Well like I said how much dyno time do you have? You came back with 1 bike that "you" dynoed. You never said whether you had other mods.

I was mechanic for 8 years. Dynoed and helped other techs, around a couple hundred bikes. From my experience the value over oem filters, just wasn't worth it to me. Yeah its cool you can clean and reuse it. But that's about it.

You're right, I didn't list my mods just as you didn't give specifics on the bikes you tested yet you made a generalized statement which is inaccurate. As a kid in the 90's i worked for the guy that founded micron pipes. I was there and helped when he did extensive testing of his systems on different bikes and their settups... I'm sure that doesn't translate to the experience you might have but I will say that based off my own experiences that what you're saying is inaccurate... Again, either way. The op asked how dirt and debris affects these filters not what type of gains motorcycles get from them. Not even sure why you posted to begin with:thinking:

Jeepnoub

You're right, I didn't list my mods just as you didn't give specifics on the bikes you tested yet you made a generalized statement which is inaccurate. As a kid in the 90's i worked for the guy that founded micron pipes. I was there and helped when he did extensive testing of his systems on different bikes and their settups... I'm sure that doesn't translate to the experience you might have but I will say that based off my own experiences that what you're saying is inaccurate... Again, either way. The op asked how dirt and debris affects these filters not what type of gains motorcycles get from them. Not even sure why you posted to begin with:thinking:

OK bud.....

JeepFan

Hooked
Looks like this thread has gone a little off the trail...To the original poster... Based on the amount of wheeling you will be doing in extreme dusty conditions, it seems like your biggest concern is air filter efficiency. That being said, save your money and continue to use the OEM filter (for now). The only way to determine air filter efficiency is to have the engine oil analyzed over time. Dirt in your engine is the silent killer! Check out Blackstone Labs for more info on having your engine oil tested. An oil report will help you decide if you need a fancy high efficiency air filter. For example: If your oil contains high levels of silicon, this could indicate abrasive contamination is entering the engine through poor air filtration. My point is get the facts before you decide. You just might save a few bucks... :yup:

Some people may claim that installing a K&N or some other aftermarket air filter will increase power or mileage. In fact, there is lots of marketing on the Internet that claims you will see better mileage and power. Maybe this is true...in the racing or aftermarket world! But, for our STOCK JKs, not so much. You may notice slightly more power and better mileage after running through a tank or two of gas. In time, the engine control computer will adjust for the better air flow (or the lack thereof), and you will end up right back where you started.

I hope this help!!

rich67

Caught the Bug
I have a 13 manual JKU and recently put the drop-in into my vehicle. I went from 16.9 mpg around town (leveling kit, stock wheels/tires) to a steady 17.5-17.9 without even trying. About the same on the highway. I just like it because I don't have to replace the filter all the time. Just re-oil and clean it and I am good to go. This thing won't ingest any more dirt than the OEM filter. Don't know where that info comes from. If anything, the oil tends to trap those pollutants. Just make sure you clean and oil it regularly. The stock white filter is dry and is certainly not as efficient doing that. Same thing when you put too much oil on a bike chain or on a firearm. It grabs and holds dust and dirt. Granted, that can be detrimental to items like those, but in the case of the intake in an motor, it's a positive.
If you buy an air filter hoping for a dyno improvement or major HP gains, you're buying into the hype. I slapped a JWT Popcharger on my 350Z years back, thinking I'd get 12 hp as it claimed, and I was disappointed when I saw a .3hp gain. LOL. Maybe if you coupled it with a hi flow exhaust, maybe.

Lil Nasty

Sorry for linking another forum Eddy. This is hopefully enough "science" to put this to rest. I'm sorry if my memory was off a little the original test was around 2004.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevro...rticles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html

Not only is the K&N the worst filtering it holds the least dirt and loads up the third fastest. Hell with changing out the factory. The K&N should be cleaned way more often. I'd rather replace a factory then wait for my cotton to dry so it can absorb oil but apparently not much dirt.

holliewood61

Ive been running a k&n on my truck for about 16 years now. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long while, go for it. Im money ahead at this point by being able to wash it out rather than replace it. As far as performance goes, i noticed no increase. As far as filtration goes my engine is almost 20 years old with 186k on it and still runs perfectly, which says its doing its job. So in my opinion it comes down to if you plan on keeping the rig long enough that the cost of the k&n will be less than replacements over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom