To lift or not to lift

TrailBear

I'm running the teraflex levelling kit in my jk right now , it'll do you just fine till your ready to go bigger and better . I'm clearing 35's with it, you can run your stock shocks or upgrade, I just swapped in some ranch rs7000's, they ride way better then the stock sport shocks they replaced.

Bigfoot

If I were you I wouldn't invest so much into some of the most expensive shocks around. Even if you plan on upgrading to a more sophisticated suspension lift later so that you might be able to take advantage of high end shocks. The thing is from Rancho or Bilstein you will get a very capable and reputable shock as well but for a fraction of the cost.

Having said that, you may want to consider a decent 2.5" suspension lift kit that would already include new shocks but also longer springs and some sort of geometry correction.

As far as I know the 2.5" lift kit from AEV is a very decent and popular option. There are similar kits like this from other brands. The point is that any of these kits will offer so much more for your money that it is even likely that you will never want to upgrade your suspension later on as you were planning to do with the BB.

The main question I have is what size Duratract's do you want to run? I am currently running a Pro-Comp 2.5 inch budget boost ($519.00 USD) with not quite 32's which I still have room to run 35's with chopped fenders. I am going to upgrade my suspension in stages. My ultimate goal is to have EVO Bolt-On Coilovers with the EVO Double D Long Arm upgrade. Until I have the funding I am going to replace my stock control arms with Rock Krawler control arms for two reasons with the main being they are inexpensive but strong and second I can get them at a reasonable price. I have found a retailer who offers a military discount and with certain items free shipping. Here are a couple of pics of my JK as it sits. Jeep2.jpg jeep3.jpg

you stated your insurance company limits the height of lift you can run. Check out this video of "The Building of Vengance". Towards the end Mel Wade is talking through the specs at the SEMA show. Some very interesting things which was done to make this an awesome rig.

R/
Will

bl17z90

It seems to me that what is bugging you is seejng guys with bigger tires. So for your budget a budget booster wouldn't be a bad idea since that'll give you clearance for 33's or bigger.....personally i recommend 35's as they are a great compromise between size and still works well as a daily driver. If you want to spend an extra 800 bucks you can get a full on coil kit but just know that when you lift you will NEED to do one of 2 things.

When i lifted i kept stock wheels and tires for a pittle bit and hated it because it just looked silly. One solution would be to get a nice set of wheel spacers as that will give you a little wider stand and really add to the aggressive look of your jeep, especially with duratracs. Or you will want to get wheels with less back spacing. The other advantage to one of these options is you'll be able to fit wider tires on one day in the future.

I know it sounds silly but its amazing how much of a difference just having a wider stance makes in your jeeps look and performance.

Sent from my phone?

Mitrig

It seems to me that what is bugging you is seejng guys with bigger tires. So for your budget a budget booster wouldn't be a bad idea since that'll give you clearance for 33's or bigger.....personally i recommend 35's as they are a great compromise between size and still works well as a daily driver. If you want to spend an extra 800 bucks you can get a full on coil kit but just know that when you lift you will NEED to do one of 2 things.

When i lifted i kept stock wheels and tires for a pittle bit and hated it because it just looked silly. One solution would be to get a nice set of wheel spacers as that will give you a little wider stand and really add to the aggressive look of your jeep, especially with duratracs. Or you will want to get wheels with less back spacing. The other advantage to one of these options is you'll be able to fit wider tires on one day in the future.

I know it sounds silly but its amazing how much of a difference just having a wider stance makes in your jeeps look and performance.

Sent from my phone?

See I was running a set of spacers initially (well for one day) then got my duratracs installed them and it happened to fit with no rubbing other then full stop so I took them off. I loved them but we have too much salt in the roads in the coming months so I'd rather not throw salt all over my sides. I will admit that I do get jealous of the rigs with 40s or 37s hell 35s and here I am with my barely 33s I think I may go for a new set or rims this comming spring with a smaller backspacing but until then. See I know I can't go huge since it is my dd but I was thinking to maybe go for a good old 2 inch at max for now. So it doesn't look goofy with my 33s. I know I will eventually move up to a set of Evo coilovers or some sort of long arm kit but that will take time since I'm still a student.

CerOf

Is anyone running a jku with 32 or 33 inch tires and a light lift?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383449331.386770.jpg 2" leveling kit with 305/65R17 BFG M/T km2s (small 33")

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383449448.916297.jpg Stock tires with same leveling kit

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383449515.499587.jpg my small 33s with the leveling kit, flexed, disconnected = rubbing

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

suicideking

Is anyone running a jku with 32 or 33 inch tires and a light lift?

This is how I started: RK 2.5" max travel lift and 33" BFG AT. (now 4" and 35's)

1024 2.jpg

Checkout the RK Stock Mod. You could start with it and build as you go VS replacing everything with a BB. Plus, doesn't make much sense to buy a BB and King Shocks. It's like getting a nice steak dinner and ordering fries and a milk shake... :D

Link to the RK site:

http://www.rockkrawler.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1836

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I know you are asking about a JKU. Have you thought about changing out your springs with a higher set? Do you know your spring rate on your JKU? Reason is I have a 2dr and changed out my 14/55's with 18/59's added Rubi shocks and TF puck leveling kit. I am running 32's and very happy. All my add ons are slightly used as well. You can get 19/60/ spring rates. Now if you have say 18/59's I would not waste your time.

Mitrig

Picked up my new suspension today. With 16/90 spring rate shocks went for a rough country kit to keep it simple. Thanks for all the opinions and everything boys!

There are 2 kinds of people; Jeepers and well no one cares about the other.

Top Bottom