Toe is way off and I can't adjust the tie rod.

ImLost7

Not sure how this happened, but if you look at my front tires, they are definitely not close to being parallel.

I did some measurements front and rear of the tires and they indeed off. Using the nice do it yourself alignment write-up on this forum, I tried to correct it myself, but on step 3 (3. Firmly grab the tie-rod’s knurled adjuster and rotate it a little bit at a time taking measurements along the way), I can't turn it.

My jeep is a 2009 unlimited, and it looks rather rusted there. I soaked it with PB Blaster and if still won't budge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1457115907735.jpg
    1457115907735.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 240
I had the same problem with mine, used penetrating oil over a few days then broke it free with a large pipe wrench. More leverage the better.

loosen the hold clamp all the way, soak the adjustment threads with PB Blaster and as mentioned use a pipe wrench

It's a satchel, not a purse!

Anyway, tried the mega pipe wrench - both up and down. No joy. I'm soaking it with pb blaster and will keep at it for the next few days and try again. Maybe try using my jack on the wrench.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know what happens. Hopefully success and not needing a new tie rod.

I say this with some trepidation, but a bottle jack will probably do the trick if you get it set up right. If you go that route I suggest putting the longest handle you can in the jack so you can raise it from far enough away to avoid what could happen when the jack breaks free. You may want to stabilize the the tie rod too before jacking (or you could just end up with a bent tie rod).

Check your purse for a length of pipe or something strong to slip over the wrench handle and use as a cheater bar. ;)
The more leverage the better. I've had to use 5' pieces of pipe to loosen old rusted bolts on farm implements.

Jeeeep mentioned it. But I've got to ask.
You did loosen the pinch bolt clamp right 🤔

I took out the bolt and apparently put it in my purse. Which means I'm pretty secure in my manhood.

Seriously though, I did loosen it up quite a bit. I'll try the heat tomorrow. I am concerned about bending my tie rod or breaking the bushings. It shouldn't be this hard.

I took out the bolt and apparently put it in my purse. Which means I'm pretty secure in my manhood.

Seriously though, I did loosen it up quite a bit. I'll try the heat tomorrow. I am concerned about bending my tie rod or breaking the bushings. It shouldn't be this hard.

It might be seized, in that case u will need a new bar.

Glad you're a good sport ;-) As I've been learning to wrench on my jeep I've come to realize the amazing amount of a beating this stuff can take. Give her hell.

Quick question for the peanut gallery here. Would it be easier if I raised the front end and got my wheels off the ground? The write up didn't say anything about that, but that may reduce some of the forces. Just thinking outloud.

Don't worry TOO much about bending the tie rod, or breaking bushings. They are designed to turn the wheels on a 4k lb factory jeep that is trail rated. Unless you plan on beating the hell out of it, it will take WAY more abuse then you will need to dish out to break the thread loose. So don't hold back on the thread.

Mine was gummed up pretty good and what I did was spray some wd40/pb/whatever you like on the threads, then a few light blows with a rubber mallet, then got out the vice grips and once secure and tight enough to not slip, i kicked the wrench a few times until it turned, then worked it back and forth until I could move it with just my hands on the vice grips... it WILL move. Just gotta "work it baby"

Don't worry TOO much about bending the tie rod, or breaking bushings. They are designed to turn the wheels on a 4k lb factory jeep that is trail rated. Unless you plan on beating the hell out of it, it will take WAY more abuse then you will need to dish out to break the thread loose. So don't hold back on the thread.

Mine was gummed up pretty good and what I did was spray some wd40/pb/whatever you like on the threads, then a few light blows with a rubber mallet, then got out the vice grips and once secure and tight enough to not slip, i kicked the wrench a few times until it turned, then worked it back and forth until I could move it with just my hands on the vice grips... it WILL move. Just gotta "work it baby"

Thanks for the encouragement. I will commence operation "beat the snot out of it" this afternoon.

You're right. It's designed for abuse (moderate), so I don't need to be delicate. I love working on my jeep, but since it's a DD, I am sometimes overly cautious.

Top Bottom