Top 5 Tools for Your Garage...

jhires

Outside my misc hand tools, best money I spent on tools was an air compressor and air tools.

Didn't "need" it but has been one of the most handy purchases I've made. When wrenching on anything it saves a lot of time and effort. In addition to wrenching, I've used the air compressor to fill basket balls, bike tires, inner tubes (for snow and rivers). I've used it to power a sprayer to texture and paint the walls in my house, then with a nail gun to install the new trim in each of the rooms. Soon it will be used for re-roofing the house.

In addition to that, tools I waited too long to buy, and once I had them wondered why I went so long without.

Large Bench Vice - To hold just about anything in place. I've used mine as a press to change u-joints, hold an axe head for sharpening, as a metal brake, and anvil.

Grinder - shaping, sharpening, shortening, rounding off misc metal.

Sawzall with metal, wood, and wrecking blades. Makes exhaust system removal that much more fun. Removes walls in a hurry too. :D

A large tool box - Tools collect. Keeping them organized is a must. Find the largest you can afford. It will follow you the rest of your life if you get a good one.

A bench to work on - I know this isn't considered a tool by most, but it beats the hell out of being on your knees on the garage floor trying to do anything. Mine is 24" deep, runs the length of the garage on one side, and width of garage at end. I put it at a height I can work at without hunching over. I can lay out a complete suspension on it, I've rebuilt a d44 and 9" on it with room to spare.

matt08jk

Outside my misc hand tools, best money I spent on tools was an air compressor and air tools.

Didn't "need" it but has been one of the most handy purchases I've made. When wrenching on anything it saves a lot of time and effort. In addition to wrenching, I've used the air compressor to fill basket balls, bike tires, inner tubes (for snow and rivers). I've used it to power a sprayer to texture and paint the walls in my house, then with a nail gun to install the new trim in each of the rooms. Soon it will be used for re-roofing the house.

In addition to that, tools I waited too long to buy, and once I had them wondered why I went so long without.

Large Bench Vice - To hold just about anything in place. I've used mine as a press to change u-joints, hold an axe head for sharpening, as a metal brake, and anvil.

Grinder - shaping, sharpening, shortening, rounding off misc metal.

Sawzall with metal, wood, and wrecking blades. Makes exhaust system removal that much more fun. Removes walls in a hurry too. :D

A large tool box - Tools collect. Keeping them organized is a must. Find the largest you can afford. It will follow you the rest of your life if you get a good one.

A bench to work on - I know this isn't considered a tool by most, but it beats the hell out of being on your knees on the garage floor trying to do anything. Mine is 24" deep, runs the length of the garage on one side, and width of garage at end. I put it at a height I can work at without hunching over. I can lay out a complete suspension on it, I've rebuilt a d44 and 9" on it with room to spare.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good but not crazy expensive air compressor? Thanks for all the responses, btw. :D

FrankenJeeper

My top five are good floor jack/ jack stands, my crescent ratchet set(includes 3/8 and 1/2"), torx bits, and A good wrench set.

I agree with getting a good tool box, it will take care of you for years to come if you invest in a good one. I have a Craftsman stainless steel box with roller bearing slides, the more weight you add the better they roll.

And I always keep the tools I "rent" from the part stores, like pickle fork and pitman arm puller, because if you need it once you'll need it again.

And a BFH and a large adjustable wrench goes a long way as well.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

Anybody have a recommendation for a good but not crazy expensive air compressor? Thanks for all the responses, btw. :D

I would stay away from an "oil less" compressor. Mine is EXTREMELY loud! Unless they have changed since I got mine 20 years ago at home depot. I'm waiting for it to die to get another one but it just keeps running. Tank size/ psi will deturmine what sort of equip you can run off it.

TeamFaust

Didn't "need" it but has been one of the most handy purchases I've made...

x2 -- air compressor (with 1/2" air impact gun & deep impact sockets) gets used all the time!!! Best part is simply taking wheels off/on to access brakes, suspension, etc. not to mention rotating tires at home on the Jeep and the other 3 cars in the family.

If new isn't in the budget (even a mid-range HF model would likely work for you), check out Craigslist for a decent used one as they are on there all the time, and might even be packaged with tools.

Last edited:

matt08jk

I went and priced air compressors today and the guy at Lowes said I need a 30 gallon compressor to run air tools. That one was about $500 but they had ones around $150 that had 6-10 gallon tanks and looked like they would work just fine. Anybody had problems running an impact and other tools off of the smaller compressors?

TeamFaust

The challenge with air tools is that they require a LOT of air volume (hence bigger tank). The compressor itself can't create enough compressed air at the pressure needed to run the tools without an air reservoir (the tank). The little $150 3-gal pancake type compressor units create enough pressure but not enough volume, they are meant for tools like nailers that don't require as much volume, or filling up tires, etc. might be able to drive a 1/2" impact gun to take off lug nuts but would likely have to wait between each for tank to refill...the models with standard 25-30 gal tanks work great for most air tools (like 1/2" impact gun and air ratchet), would have trouble keeping up with high volume tools like a die grinder where you are doing constant tool use for extended period of time.

I will tell you that that my brother had a good quality pancake type compressor he used for other stuff and instead of buying a new unit for auto use he simply added a separate 25gal tank inline which worked well.

billybob990

The challenge with air tools is that they require a LOT of air volume (hence bigger tank). The compressor itself can't create enough compressed air at the pressure needed to run the tools without an air reservoir (the tank). The little $150 3-gal pancake type compressor units create enough pressure but not enough volume, they are meant for tools like nailers that don't require as much volume, or filling up tires, etc. might be able to drive a 1/2" impact gun to take off lug nuts but would likely have to wait between each for tank to refill...the models with standard 25-30 gal tanks work great for most air tools (like 1/2" impact gun and air ratchet), would have trouble keeping up with high volume tools like a die grinder where you are doing constant tool use for extended period of time.

I will tell you that that my brother had a good quality pancake type compressor he used for other stuff and instead of buying a new unit for auto use he simply added a separate 25gal tank inline which worked well.

X2 I have a friend with a 50 gal air tank and it struggles with a 1/2 inch drive impact.

I'd rather be fishing...

matt08jk

OK, thanks for the info. I guess Ill start saving for a big tank. :D

Rebel JK

I would at least start with a small compressor for tires and stuff around the house then get the big tank. After basic hand tools that is a must have! Unless you have a decent oba setup.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I got a Craftsman 30 gal compressor with a few accessories for around $300. It is loud but I built a closet for it in the garage.
Garage must haves:
-air compressor
-floor jack/jack stands
-good stereo and tv
-good lighting
-some smokables (your choice)
-(and for my pals) ALL 3: air, electric, and battery operated GRINDERS.

DJCFHB

1. floor jack & jack stands (6 tons. 3 tons is too short)
2. ratchet & Sockets
3. wrenches
4. torque wrench
5. drill/impact driver combo kit ( good cheap alternative to compressor and impact wrench)

I have gotten more use out of my dewalt drill/impact driver combo than i would have ever thought. The impact driver is rated for 85ft.-lbs. of torque, i believe, which came in quite handy before i got a 30 gal. compressor and impact wrench. I would break the bolts by hand then finish it off with the impact driver, and vice versa for putting things back together.

Paisano

1. Vice Grips
2. Channel Locks
3. Sledge Hammer
4. Hack Saw
5. Duct tape
Shop hours-various times
Labor Rate- $90
Turnaround times- depends how difficult your rig is!
I refuse to work on your Rig while you hang around to watch. If you stop by to watch all work on your rig will stop immediately.

nicholsmf

-floor jack
-jack stands
-torque wrench
-wrench set
-1/2" drive socket set

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

1) angle grinder
2) full size vehicle hoist
3) air compressor/air tools
4) 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" socket sets
5) MIG & TIG welder

mtnbiker995

I refuse to work on your Rig while you hang around to watch. If you stop by to watch all work on your rig will stop immediately.

I don't own a shop but I'm the same way when working on friends rigs...if they know what's going on and can help, they can stay but if I'm doing the work because they don't know how I make em leave. However, I can't stand other people working on my rig without me watching haha

KennyFrench

I went and priced air compressors today and the guy at Lowes said I need a 30 gallon compressor to run air tools. That one was about $500 but they had ones around $150 that had 6-10 gallon tanks and looked like they would work just fine. Anybody had problems running an impact and other tools off of the smaller compressors?

I saw this one at Sears. $289.99, 26 gallon, and comes with a 1/2 in. impact wrench, 3/8 in. ratchet, and 25 ft. PVC hose.

Top Bottom