Traction control light

Elusive

check to see if your track bar is good and tight at the axle side. it could be shifting side to side a bit. sometimes the hole gets elongated behind the bolt head and the whole axle moves a bit.

Tackerdown

Banned
Wish you would've said something while we were at Rausch we coulda checked it for you. Every one has to learn some how, we could have at least eliminated a few things.

Sent from my SPH-L720

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wish you would've said something while we were at Rausch we coulda checked it for you. Every one has to learn some how, we could have at least eliminated a few things.

Sent from my SPH-L720

I know I thought it was fixed tho. Apparently not. Ughhhhh this jeep just doesn't let up when I think I'm going to be done with it for a little bit lol

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so it looks like there is some grease seeping out from the I guess knuckle area if you would like to call it that.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377642007.851076.jpg

All the bolts are nice and tight but the rod/shaft it's self can be rotated up and down. This normal?

Sent from my iPhone

Napalm90

Was just about to ask the same question. Also this reminds me I gotta do an alignment. My rear end is off by 5mm and I still need to center my steering wheel lol

StrizzyChris

All the bolts are nice and tight but the rod/shaft it's self can be rotated up and down. This normal

Yes its normal. thats the movement at the joint and necessary for the steering range of motion as the pitman arm rotates back and forth and as that axle articulates.

Did tightening the bolts help resolve your issue? Also inspect the body and yoke of your pitman arm where it attaches to the STEERING BOX at the sector shaft or at the draglink. Its not common, but it is a distant POSSIBILITY that it could be cracked/broken and cause your steering the jump teeth and be off center and then back centered.

your pic edited in case I didnt explain clearly
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377642007.851076.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes its normal. thats the movement at the joint and necessary for the steering range of motion as the pitman arm rotates back and forth and as that axle articulates.

Did tightening the bolts help resolve your issue? Also inspect the body and yoke of your pitman arm where it attaches to the draglink. Its not common, but it is a distant POSSIBILITY that it could be cracked/broken and cause your steering the jump teeth and be off center and then back centered.

your pic edited in case I didnt explain clearly
View attachment 46503

Thanks Chris you explained clearly but I'm a visual person so the pic was extremely helpful. I will look at it today. Tightening the bolts did not resolve my issue sadly. It has me really worried that its doing this.

Sent from my iPhone

Army_Vet

Banned
thanks for all the responses everyone! yes it did go off ten mins into my drive this weekend.

another question that kind of goes along with this. so i had it straightened thursday and first thing saturday morning before i even hit the trails i hit a little bump and it was off center again. later that day im on my way home hit another bump and its straight again. what would cause my steering wheel to keep going off center like that then back in line? did the shop that did my alignment over torque something to cause this to happen multiple times? do i just need a new tie rod?

The only thing that makes sense to cause what you just described is the steering shaft itself. Check where it bolts to the steering box. Hell check the whole shaft... it is the link from your steering wheel to the steering box. The clock spring tells the jeep the relationship of the steering wheel is to the jeep. If it goes off center it can throw the TC light

Last edited:

Skirmish

Really sounds like a loose track bar end as mentioned. It doesn't take much but if the bolt hole is ovalled a bump would move the axle even if the bolt was tight.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well it's centered now. Shouldn't take long for the computer to realize this I'm assuming. Thanks for confirming this Eddie!

Sent from my iPhone

To add to what Eddie said, I had a similar issue. I installed my springs, then the steering wheel was offcenter a bit. I was bringing it in for alignment so I told the guy to center it (dealer.) He did. Left the parking lot, traction light came on (light wasn't on before when the wheel was about 10 degrees off)...after trying to do a bunch of crap, he plugged the jeep into his computer on wheels (I assume it was the StarScan tool) and reprogrammed a new 0 (center.) Never came on after that.

StrizzyChris

Thanks Chris you explained clearly but I'm a visual person so the pic was extremely helpful. I will look at it today. Tightening the bolts did not resolve my issue sadly. It has me really worried that its doing this.

I am an idiot and noticed that I was typing quick and didnt give all the intended info. The pitman arm teeth that could be jumping is at the sector shaft end...and meant to say to look at that end of the pitman arm first. I edited my post.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am an idiot and noticed that I was typing quick and didnt give all the intended info. The pitman arm teeth that could be jumping is at the sector shaft end...and meant to say to look at that end of the pitman arm first. I edited my post.

thanks chris. i will continue to look into this and see if it is cracked. i really hope it isnt.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Really sounds like a loose track bar end as mentioned. It doesn't take much but if the bolt hole is ovalled a bump would move the axle even if the bolt was tight.

if this is the case how would i go about fixing it? would i just have to get a new adjustable track bar or even replace it with a stock take off?

Top Bottom