Trailer length suggestions

Spazbyt

Hooked
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a BigTex drive over fender trailer. I plan on pulling it with a Class A gas puller motor home so I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum. I'm leaning toward the 17' so I have some adjustments of weight distribution. The 15' seems like it would be a tight fit and the 19' seems like just extra weight. What are your guy's thoughts?
Capture Trailer.JPG Capture Trailer 2.JPG

CalSgt

Hooked
I have a 15 footer, so far it has hauled anything I have needed it to. Longest being a 1/2 ton, extended cab, long bed, chevy truck, it was a bit sketchy to fit on there but it worked.

Those are some nice looking trailers but if weight is such a concern why not look at lighter duty units.

Ddays

Hooked
Having a little extra length is always nice. (teed that one up) Whether it's 17' or 19', you can put bikes, a weather-proof trunk, etc on it to save space in the motorhome.

If you plan on driving cross-country with this setup, and it sounds like you do, do yourself a gigantic favor and don't pay for an upgrade on tires. Unless these are an option from the dealer, take the wheels and get these, or another comparable commercial rated trailer tire and install them. Trust me, those POS china bombs are a blowout waiting to happen. Even the upgraded ones from the dealers are shit. These HD tires may be overkill, but fixing a flat on a trailer with a Jeep on it on the side of the road sucks donkey balls. And get two spares. If you run over something with tandem wheels, good chance both will go down....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note, it's not just the weight or whether or not you can fit something on a trailer, it's where that stuff ends up getting placed on it and in relationship to the axles. It can make the difference between feeling good to tow to feeling sketchy or at least, for me anyway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I should note, it's not just the weight or whether or not you can fit something on a trailer, it's where that stuff ends up getting placed on it and in relationship to the axles. It can make the difference between feeling good to tow to feeling sketchy or at least, for me anyway.
Where I stick it and where it can fit are definitely two different things.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Thanks for the good info guys!
17' will get the job done even for a 4-door. 15' would be a little short in my opinion.
This is reassuring to hear.
I have a 15 footer, so far it has hauled anything I have needed it to. Longest being a 1/2 ton, extended cab, long bed, chevy truck, it was a bit sketchy to fit on there but it worked.

Those are some nice looking trailers but if weight is such a concern why not look at lighter duty units.
This BigTex outfit does make a standard 83" Wide car hauler that weighs 600 lb less but I would have to do something about the fenders being too narrow.
Having a little extra length is always nice. (teed that one up) Whether it's 17' or 19', you can put bikes, a weather-proof trunk, etc on it to save space in the motorhome.

If you plan on driving cross-country with this setup, and it sounds like you do, do yourself a gigantic favor and don't pay for an upgrade on tires. Unless these are an option from the dealer, take the wheels and get these, or another comparable commercial rated trailer tire and install them. Trust me, those POS china bombs are a blowout waiting to happen. Even the upgraded ones from the dealers are shit. These HD tires may be overkill, but fixing a flat on a trailer with a Jeep on it on the side of the road sucks donkey balls. And get two spares. If you run over something with tandem wheels, good chance both will go down....

It would be nice to go with the 19' and not have to worry about space. I'm just worried about weight. The coach's towing capacity is 5000lbs so I'll be more than maxing that out. My father towed this around for years without any problems but he never drove through Colorado like I plan to do.
4887.jpeg I'll definitely look into those tires. These are what was on my last trailer!
0ACAE7A6-6DD9-4DA7-9864-FF97D71C6971[1].jpg

Spazbyt

Hooked
Yeah, I'm not excited to have to deal with the trailer either but Flat towing it just isn't an option for me. I am trying to keep weight down so I'm looking at the shortest trailer I can reasonably use to haul the jeep.

Gcat

I have a P&J 18’, for me it works just fine, I did go with the 7000 lbs for the lower weight but sometimes wish I had the 9,999 lbs…

Spazbyt

Hooked
If weight is a major concern have you considered an aluminum trailer?
Alot of the aluminum trailers I have seen don't seem to be set up well for a offroad vehicle and the price is up there. I would totally consider one if you have any suggestions though.

Bierpower

Hooked
Alot of the aluminum trailers I have seen don't seem to be set up well for a offroad vehicle and the price is up there. I would totally consider one if you have any suggestions though.
I don't really have any personal experience with any of the manufacturers so I can't give much of a recommendation. I grew up in the Midwest where aluminum snowmobile trailers were all the rage because they didn't rot apart in 3 years and now I work at an aluminum fab shop so that's why it came to mind.

Top Bottom