Trailering a JK - Gooseneck or bumper pull...

Mikead40

I was just wondering if any of you out there that have trailered your JK have any strong opinions as to whether a bumper pull or a gooseneck is better. I'm in the process of moving far far away from the good offroading destinations but will be making annual or biannual treks to moab and other spots out west. I just purchased a ram diesel pickup to be a daily driver and Jeep hauler, but I'm unsure about which direction to go with the trailer. I am admittedly a complete novice when it comes to trailers - knowledge of them and driving them - so any advice, pros and cons of the different types, which would be easier for a "beginner" etc would be much appreciated. Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:

Jeep2010

More or less depends on the trailer. If it's just your jk then you'd be fine using a hitch instead of a 5th wheel or gooseneck. Just an FYI, I don't own a truck and never have but I sell Rams and see gooseneck and 5th wheels for heavier loads or a certain trailer so I'm not an expert but just my thoughts.

metalic

I was just wondering if any of you out there that have trailered your JK have any strong opinions as to whether a bumper pull or a gooseneck is better. I'm in the process of moving far far away from the good offroading destinations but will be making annual or biannual treks to moab and other spots out west. I just purchased a ram diesel pickup to be a daily driver and Jeep hauler, but I'm unsure about which direction to go with the trailer. I am admittedly a complete novice when it comes to trailers - knowledge of them and driving them - so any advice, pros and cons of the different types, which would be easier for a "beginner" etc would be much appreciated. Thanks! :beer:

I've used a bumper hitch but when I bought my own I went with a gooseneck. If you've ever pulled heavy load both ways you'll never want to use a bumper hitch again. If you buy new they can make any trailer gooseneck and it's around 500 bucks extra around here. Make sure they don't sell you 3500# axles as that's only 7,000# your trailer axles can handle. I have a 14k 20+2 which is overkill but I can haul more than my jeep and I bought it used.

Mikead40

If you've ever pulled heavy load both ways you'll never want to use a bumper hitch again.

Thank you for the responses.
What is it about the gooseneck that makes it better? Is it the way it drives? Easier to maneuver? I do have the gooseneck/5th wheel prep kit already installed on my truck (came from the dealer) so it would be just as easy to get a gooseneck trailer, I just didn't want to get in over my head with one as my first trailer (the gooseneck just looked like it would require more skill to drive) - but if I'm understanding you you're saying that goosenecks are preferable in that sense to a bumper hitch...

metalic

A gooseneck puts the trailer weight over your rear axle vs hanging off the back of truck. You don't get the sway you get with bumper. You can turn sharper but you must remember if you jack knife you'll be in your bedside and if you have to watch if you get into really uneven ground you can get into the top of your bed. Newer trucks have taller besides but newer trailers have a taller/deeper nose also .

zimm

Caught the Bug
Goosenecks are what the heavy haulers use. Ever see those dually diesels pulling triple car trailers all over the country? But, a regular car trailer will let you have the entire bed available for gear and stuff. Are you talking enclosed or flat bed trailer? Do you want a 5th wheel/hitch in the bed? 5000+ pound jeep on a car trailer isn't that heavy of a load. An aluminum trailer will keep the weight down even more.

Mikead40

yea I'm definitely leaning towards gooseneck (not enclosed) - having a ball hitch in the bed wouldn't be a big deal and there are several out there that can be flipped upside down to leave you with a normal bed surface. It's funny that you mentioned having the bed left over for gear - that was the reason I was originally excluding a gooseneck. Then it occurred to me that I would have the entirety of the inside of my jeep for gear storage during transport. My jeep weighs just a hair under 6k (5889) unloaded with a full tank of gas...and of course I have an engine swap and 60s in my future...very distant future...but still...

Speeddmn

Something to think about, if you get a large enough gooseneck (think 33 foot or so), you have enough room for 2 jeeps... Or atv's, utv's, jeep, stuff... One can also get a cheap pop up camper, take the axle and hitch off it, then mount it to the front of the trailer, and park the jeep behind it. Cheap way to camp when you get places.

Anyways, you do lose some bed space, not all. With a bumper pull, you get the bed space back, but get much more sway in the hills, canyons.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458326715.407096.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458326730.071878.jpg

I would definitely do something like this if I could and planned on going and staying somewhere for a few days. Especially if I did it often.

If not then a bumper pull is fine as well. But I would still buy a gooseneck over bumper pull if I had a truck. Right now I just have a suburban so a bumper pull would have to do.

Edit: these are pics off the www, not mine.

Robs_Red_JK

Gooseneck is for sure the way to go. Like previously noted it is less wear and tear on your truck and if you think jeep parts are costly diesel parts are normally much worse haha. And like others have said to if you get the right trailer you could always have extra storage space to strap stuff down on it or put stuff inside your jeep or other vehicle that you have on there. Having towed both ways I have always thought the goose was a much nicer way to go especially for long distance. just my :twocents:

geberhard

Douchebag
I pull with a F250 diesel and trailerform teh hitch, no issues and you can barely tell the jeep and trailer are there.

Gooseneck is the only way to go. Like already mentioned no sway and a far more stable platform to pull. They are also far easier to back up as they don't have the tendency to wander on you. Backing a trailer is definitely an acquired skill, but a gooseneck makes it easier. You also have far better trailer braking options. Vacuum systems work great. Remember stopping the load is the most important part of pulling a trailer.

hudginsja

As others have said gooseneck is so much better. Having used both I would have to say the biggest difference is that it will be smoother and a lot easier to maneuver in tight areas.

Top Bottom